SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Nah, not looking to scare him off, I just remember the first time I came to learn some of these things the hard way. That is never fun to have to remake a piece. The collets are not too bad. My little lathe has a MT (Morse Taper) in both the head stock and the tail stock. I just bought the collet adaptor for each. The ER16 collets and adaptor were not all that expensive. They were ebay specials, and if they center within .001" I am happy. I do a lot of small parts, so this made the most sense for me. They were from CTC Tools. The ER16 collet adaptor was ~$15 and the collet set was ~$24. That is not too bad. Especially if you just need them for smaller stuff like shafts and torpedoes. The ER40 adaptor and collet set were ~$22 and ~$87 respectively. The shipping on the ER40 collets was around $40 if I remember correctly.

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
907 Posts
Ah well there you said it. If you're machining tiny diameters then collets definitely find an application. But model subs don't have much in the way of smaller diameters, unless you're building truly tiny stuff.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
You end up using them more often than you might think, but for the larger stuff I use the four jaw. I do tend on working on smaller things, though, than most.

Adam
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
449 Posts
I am getting a Taig lathe and it will come with a four jaw chuck too. The rest of what you guys talked about went whoosh over my head. If making a sub did not scare me off, I do not think the lathe will. I am looking forward to learning.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
The Taig lathes are good little lathes. I have one of them as well. I think that they have done some product updates since I got mine. I know that there is a feed screw that can be had. I am not sure if they have a motorized feed yet or not.

Adam
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:07 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
I haven't had much issues with re aligning on a 3 jaw chuck on a larger lathe. It has a 2 inch through shaft and up to 4 inch in the chuck. I just tighten the chuck, spin the part and check for any wobble, re-chuck and rotate a little then spin again. For complex parts that need high accuracy its not good practice, but for things like o-ring seals it shouldn't matter. I love working with aluminum and nylon the best, both are so easy to work and dont make lots of heat.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:47 PM
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
287 Posts
Hiya, tchalfant!!

Very cool build in progress here!!!

Just out of curiousity, what is the exact diameter of the tube?? I have a 1/240 Lindberg Gato sub kit, which is really narrow, and depending upon the size of the Aluminauts tube, I can make a determination as to wether or not rc'ing it is anywhere near feasible!

In reading your build, it's pretty obvious the motors, etc., shouldn't be too terribly hard to come by!! Howzabout servos, tho'?? Are there extreme micro-servos out there??

Really like the idea of utilizing r/c model heli motors!! Pretty small and should scoot her around pretty well!!

Any input from you would be really appreciated!!

Keep up the cool work!!
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
449 Posts
Crazy Gary! Thank you for the complements.
The diameter of my cylinder is 1" and just short of 4 1/2" in length.
The only servo I am going to use is for the ballast system and it will not be a normal servo, so that won't be much help.
Although these are pretty cool: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...c_0_075kg.html
This was listed on another site (thank you subculture). Looks cool. Another servo is a linear servo. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ht_Right_.html
Last edited by tchalfant; Dec 11, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
287 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the info!
Also, good leads on some really little servos! I'm pretty much sold on a linear, as a 1" wtc doesn't have a whole lotta room for anything vertical!!
Will most likely build this little Gato as a surface runner, mainly for my grandkids to see, but....? I've been known to do some crazy things, hence the "crazygary" thing!! Hah!!
Looking forward to keeping up with your build!! I'm likin' it alot!!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
449 Posts
Began the internal wiring. It is not a difficult wiring except it is so dang small!
Here the ESC is getting the wiring that goes to the receiver.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 73.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 63.2 KB
Description:

Then the motor gets connected.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 72.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 208.8 KB
Description:

I was excited to plug it in and test. It worked! Two more to go. Then the ballast tank....
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:38 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
287 Posts
This is so cool, and looking great!!
Which esc did you decide to go with??
Also, have you decided on a particular RX yet??
I've got a couple pair of Hobby King ultra-micro linear servos on the way
for the 1" dia. wtc I've been planning to undertake, at some point! I believe them to the the ones in one of your previous posts! Nice compact litle suckers!!
Keep on keepin' on!!
crazygary
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:36 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
Man, I just received one of Rick's Marder kits & thought the electronics to run that were small! Lucky for me, I only need one unless I want to make the torpedo work.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
449 Posts
Thanks guys! it is small.
Sombra Labs 6ch RX is what I am going to use. It is only slightly larger than some the micro receivers, but a lot better technology.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 74a.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 180.7 KB
Description:
The ballast tank..... I have no less than 6 different designs and ideas on how I am going to build it, here is the beginning of plan A.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 74.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 201.0 KB
Description:
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:16 PM
BUCURESTI
Joined Feb 2009
198 Posts
HI,
@tchalfant

MAN With Your skills I'm surprised WY you are not already employed by NASA : ...or ARE YOU?!.
THANK YOU for enchants as with your wonderful sub.
What you managed to do,show that there are no limits if a man puts something in mind.
Keep doing it what are you doing,because you are doing great.

MARIUS
profesorul is offline Find More Posts by profesorul
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
449 Posts
Marius, Thank you for the kind words. I wish I did work for NASA, I admire what they are doing and wish they were funded better. I am just a computer geek for a school, the title they give me is Director of Computer Services.