HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:19 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
I just looked at Caswell's website and he is now charging $99 for the sombra labs receiver. two weeks ago he was selling them for $65... i'll let him explain that.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:29 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,841 Posts
Tom.... amazing how small this thing is. And amazing what you are cramming into it.

How well does that liquid tape stuff work? Does it keep the electronics sealed up dry?
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:43 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
I sent you a pm about programming your radio. I'm new to this radio too but just programmed some mix channels yesterday. Greg
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:01 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
I just looked at Caswell's website and he is now charging $99 for the sombra labs receiver. two weeks ago he was selling them for $65... i'll let him explain that.
Market will ultimately set the price. He did buy up the stock of it (who knows how many thousands that cost him) and will need to sit on that inventory until it is sold out. As a businessman is entitled to a profit, like it or not, that was a smart move on Mike's part.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_nj View Post
Tom.... amazing how small this thing is. And amazing what you are cramming into it.

How well does that liquid tape stuff work? Does it keep the electronics sealed up dry?
Ken,
I do not know about dry, it is a thin layer and can get nicked. For me it is better than heat shrink for insulation in these small areas. Decades ago, I sealed some electronics in clear resin. It still works to this date. I have a sub I am fixing up that had electronics in a blob of silicon ugly, but it did work. The issue David Merriman, Mike Dory, or Skip Assay (I am getting forgetful in my old age who talked about this) have mentioned is making sure you seal the wire ends. Because water will travel in though that space, if not the first time after several runs. The water will squeeze its way down the wire if not sealed and leak to your components. In the Gato, I have made a magnetic connector that seals my connection and prevents water getting into my dry space because it is making contact with brass rod sealed in the dividing wall between the wet side and dry side.
Last edited by tchalfant; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Created a wiring harness, here is a side view.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 110.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 165.6 KB
Description:
On the other end of the harness I soldered the consolidated ground and positive and the four signal wires.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 112.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 158.9 KB
Description:
I also cut out a notch and mounted a switch.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 114.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 103.1 KB
Description:

Name: Aluminaut research submarine 115.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 141.0 KB
Description:
Everything in - except antenna.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 116.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 177.4 KB
Description:
I did a test and everything EXCEPT the starboard motor worked. My worse fear was the motor got damaged, but it all worked when I put the ESCs together. So it was time to hunt down the culprit. Began by removing everything.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 118.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 190.0 KB
Description:
Tested the wires to the motor with power and it worked. Tested the harness for continuity. It was fine. I was down to the ESC. Removing the liquid tape (it just peels off) the issue became apparent. The signal wire was dislodged. The pushing in and pulling out the ESC pack damaged the signal wire.
Soldered the wire back and sealed the unit back to the pack of ESCs. Tested and all worked!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Greg W and Subculture both provided direction on programming this Polk TX. I tried it, but things did not work, well they may have, but the starboard motor did not respond. Now that it is fixed, I will need to try again. Thank you both for your help!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
With all this excellent documentation you've been doing, i expect an equally amazing running video, maybe even an underwater camera

Looking great man!
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
We will have to get it working first, then video....but video will be done, oh yes, video will be done.

Put it together - sanity test and it fit.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 119.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 196.5 KB
Description:
The end is not on because I just stuffed the antenna in.
I do not know antenna theory and could use some help. I need to wrap this antenna about 3 or 4 times around the inside of this sub. Anyone know tips or how to on this kind of information. I am certain that stuffing it in is a no-no. Is there a formula to how long the loops should be?
I guess I am simply saying I need help.
Where is my aero engineer friend?
Peace,
Tom
Last edited by tchalfant; Mar 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:24 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
282 Posts
Hello

Great build and can`t stop watching your progress!

As for the Antenna, from my R.C sub experiece, you can wrap the antenna around a piece of thin plastic strip or foam, nothing metalic AND NEVER overlap the antenna loops. You should have good reception with maybe just a little range loss.

Good luck and keep the posting coming.

George
George Jure is offline Find More Posts by George Jure
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:39 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
I agree with George about the antenna. That's how we did it back when I raced r/c cars and I did the same on my delfin sub using a seeker 6 reciever. Greg
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
I got the radio to work! Actually, I can not take the credit, I had help.
I need to thank two people, Greg W and subculture! You both ROCK.
subculture sent me in the right direction, Greg W for showing me my errors. I was entering too much info for master to slave (which is where I needed to stop originally) AND I entered data for the slave to master. This just gave crazy results and not what I wanted. So thank you for the help and direction. Now back to the antenna. What do you think, about putting the antenna in a geometric shape on a thin piece of styrene curving that into the hull?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:10 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
for my sub i used a base loaded antenna. its about 6" long and is supposed to give about 80% total range iirc. he has one specifically made for water vehicles here: http://www.ecubedrc.com/category/Ant...er-Vehicles-17
but i'm not entirely sure how well it will work in the sub. mine was one of the yellow ones.
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:46 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
here is what I did in my delfin. please don't look at the state it's in, it's undergoing a modification right now. Greg
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Very nice! I see what you did with the antenna and that is compact! Thank you for the inspiration. I am contacting Sombra Labs to see if there is any info or help they can offer.