HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
439 Posts
Build Log
1/96 Aluminaut Submarine by Scale Model Castings

I just got my 1/96 Aluminaut Research Submarine by Scale Model Castings and it is a beauty! ( can be purchased at http://www.scalemodelcastings.com/19...-kit_p_12.html)
I love the detail in it. Pictures will be coming soon.

A couple of things really stood out to me. One was the way Rick handled getting the sub to me. I got an email when it shipped and he followed up with an email several days later to verify I received the sub. Rick also explained that he was going to recast the clear castings because he had new material come in and rather than delay the model he offered to ship it! That was fine by me and very cool customer service! The other thing that stands out is Rick's attention to detail. There are some castings in here (like the railings for one) that really show off his talent. The keel has weight built into the casting, outstanding!

My gut says this sub will be a tough build, but this sub has been calling me for a long time! It is small and there will be challenges, oh yes there will be challenges. The thing I feel confident about is we will all learn together! I am thinking a syringe ballast system or diaphragm type. I need to ponder this out. Any suggestions from anyone that builds small subs?

I will try to document as best I can how I get this to work!

Wow am I jazzed at how cool this looks - my mind is spinning on thinking of the possibilities. This can be built as a display, I throw that in for those that may not want to plunge into an R/C sub, but that is not the way we are going here.

Thank you Rick!
tchalfant is online now Find More Posts by tchalfant
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
850 Posts
New name for RPMTech...
redboat219 is online now Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
439 Posts
Yes..... Same owner, different company maybe? (I just used the web page name - not sure if Rick is using RPMTech)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,608 Posts
Its Rick's new company that offers a different focus on subjects other than subs.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
439 Posts
As promised here are the pictures:
The kit comes with these parts -
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 01.jpg
Views: 143
Size: 226.4 KB
Description:
front and rear hull sections, metal manipulators, bow rail, mesh, cast light bar - I didn't pay for the wired LED light bar, maybe should have - I will play and see what I can do with what I got!, lots of brass wire, clear tube for the main hull, o rings, and cast propellers. I did get the motors - it is going to be an r/c sub.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 02.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 145.3 KB
Description:
I love the small details - this will really look good when painted! And look at this deck/walk way! I love it!
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 03.jpg
Views: 118
Size: 89.6 KB
Description:
Bag of goodies. Metal armature pieces, mesh, etc - lots of fun stuff to discover.
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 04.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 213.6 KB
Description:
This kills me - look at this!
Name: Aluminaut research submarine 05.jpg
Views: 143
Size: 172.0 KB
Description:
I hope I do not break it before I put this together, might need to make this out of brass - we will see.
Overall impression - The casting is real good - some minor bubbles and seams, but overall very clean. Flashing doesn't bother me considering what the parts are, but there is flashing around the props and light bar. There are tons of bits and pieces and I will probably end up hounding Rick on where they go, but we will document it here. My son is already claiming this as his, Hmmmm - not sure I am there. I can only say we shall see.

So thinking out loud and looking for help. 4 channel radio? one for each motor (3 of them) and one for ballast. The lights can be a manual switch.

Ballast system - I am deciding between a diaphragm ballast system or syringe type, any thoughts?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:39 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
good to see more people getting into the micro subs! i have one of these kits as well, and i still have not finished mine either. 4 channel would be enough to run all the motors and a ballast setup, i'm going to use syringe ballast as i dont think bladder could be done in the space needed. as i recall, rick said it only needed about 2.5-3ml as it sits so low in the water on the real thing.
the way i was going to set up my ballast, the lights would automatically come on when the tank is full, saves on another channel for the smaller receivers that i have.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
439 Posts
Derk,
I have been wanting to do this for a long time. What RX do you recommend? If I recall correctly you have done several small subs, am I remembering correctly?
Peace,
Tom
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:06 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
i've done 2 so far that worked good, both were on a berg 4ch receiver. i'd also recommend getting an antenna from azarr as the long ones are harder to deal with in the smaller space.
at some point i really need to get myself a Tracker from Polks hobbies. though i do not know what micro receivers there are for 75mhz.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,590 Posts
to be honest, the sombra labs is tiny compared to most, and it is an 8 channel DUAL CONVERSION with a microprocessor and a filter.... not much better than that:

http://sombralabs.com/products_sl8.php

if you must go with ultra tiny, the smallest i know of is the GWS 4 channel, but it is only a single conversion receiver, and the one i had was much more prone to interference than the sombralabs sl8 that replaced it.

http://www.robotcombat.com/marketpla...receivers.html
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
439 Posts
Thanks Derk and tsenecal!
I like to ponder and study (usually) what I am working on before I jump in and I can see that there is some pinning that will need to be done. Saddle tanks and keel need to be attached to wtc barrel. Looking at the steps, should I paint first or last and what is the best way hmmmmm, well Rick read my mind. He came up with a page on prep for parts http://www.scalemodelcastings.com/Parts-prep_ep_51.html

Receivers are a tricky thing, I have experience with the Sombra Labs, and it is a great RX, but this Aluminaut wtc is TINY in diameter (about an inch or 25mm +/-and not sure it will fit. I will verify. 75MHz is the tricky part......
Derk, I will go with 4ch - lights, should I decide to accept the challenge (who am I kidding of course I will) will come on in a mechanical means - I like magnets and reed switch. As I look at this I have all sorts of ideas going through my head, but I need to focus on the basics and not get distracted......SQUIRREL!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchalfant View Post
Thanks Derk and tsenecal!
I like to ponder and study (usually) what I am working on before I jump in and I can see that there is some pinning that will need to be done. Saddle tanks and keel need to be attached to wtc barrel. Looking at the steps, should I paint first or last and what is the best way hmmmmm, well Rick read my mind. He came up with a page on prep for parts http://www.scalemodelcastings.com/Parts-prep_ep_51.html

Receivers are a tricky thing, I have experience with the Sombra Labs, and it is a great RX, but this Aluminaut wtc is TINY in diameter (about an inch or 25mm +/-and not sure it will fit. I will verify. 75MHz is the tricky part......
Derk, I will go with 4ch - lights, should I decide to accept the challenge (who am I kidding of course I will) will come on in a mechanical means - I like magnets and reed switch. As I look at this I have all sorts of ideas going through my head, but I need to focus on the basics and not get distracted......SQUIRREL!

Hello, I have the chance to have this Aluminaut from Rick,
The receiver inside is a Corona RS410II 40 Mhz and works perfect with my Multiplex RC 3030 40 Mhz.

Have a lot of fun to build this beautiful sub!

Christophe
cbk21 is offline Find More Posts by cbk21
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
439 Posts
U.S. different frequency, sadness sets in, but thank you - Christophe, any issues you ran into on your build? Any tips or suggestions?

I got to say I cannot wait to see this working!
Rick shared with me this site for an ESC that will work in this sub:
http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=6743

I will need to order 3 of these.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:24 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
There is a smaller Sombra labs RX that is the Lepton 6. Despite it not listing that it is 75 MHz, you can get one in that frequency range. I will need to go and dig up my email, but I am pretty sure that all that needs to be done is to put a 75 MHz crystal in it.

The other thing that you might look at is using a small Pic Microchip project that turns on the lights. I have a small project that I would be willing to share the code if you wanted for modification to meet your needs.

Also if you need smaller esc's, you might look into using this little chip combined with a small Pic Microchip. You could make a single esc less than 3/8"x3/8". You could probably get all three on a single board that would be the same size as what you are looking at right now.

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
439 Posts
Adam,
I would love more information - I do have a PICKit 2! Haven't used it yet, but sure could.
You have pic'd my interest - sorry about the pun.
This is exciting!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
The code that I have is something that I did as one of my first learning projects. It turns on leds based on the stick position. In my case it was one of four leds, but this could easly be changed. You would most likely want to port it over to a cheaper, lower pin count pic

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1