HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2000, 04:59 PM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
SR's new Cutie kit

Hi Everyone... I've been getting a lot of questions about our next kit after the X250 so here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to start giving you progress reports on our next kit, the "Cutie." However, I'm going to have one ground rule. Please don't ask "When" questions. I don't want to be painted into a corner with a deadline that might compromise the quality of the kit. When it's done, it's done. The X250 was delayed by 5 months because at the very end, I decided to make some massive changes because I wasn't totally happy with the design. I have to be free to do the same with the Cutie if I have to.

I'll try this with the Cutie and as long as I don't run into any problems by letting our competition know what we're up to, I'll try to do it with each of the kits we come out with if you'd like. It will probably be fun for all of us as you'll all be part of the process.

Ok, here goes. Four prototype Cuties have been built and flown to explore the size/power system/controls/weight/moments parameters. None of these ships look like the Cutie. The numbers are right but the look is what I'm working on right now. I did it this way partially to save time and partially because I didn't want to take any chances that our competition would know what I'm up to. I have several competitors located here on Long Island and at least one is in one of the clubs I belong to. I deliberately joined another club so I'd have a place to fly where our competition would be less likely to see what I'm up to.

Those tests are over and I have what I was after. So far, the Cutie wing is done but not drawn yet. The shapes and sizes of the tail feathers are done. All of the structural details are done as far as working them out goes. These structural details were fairly complicated. You'll understand when you see the Cutie.

I've been slowed down by setting up a new computer and the associated hardware specifically for kit design. In the long run, it will speed things up. I'm just finishing off Volume E-33 of Electric Flight Techniques which should ship next week. We launched our daughter Erin yesterday on her "solo flight" leaving home and moving to San Francisco. She's driving cross country and she'll reach Indiana today and reach San Francisco some time next week. Lots of tears here. She's our only child. I took part of the day off. It's good being the King! But, then I worked on the Cutie until about 9 last night. It was therapy.

I should get to working on the fuselage design late next week. Somehow I have to find the time to finish the photos for our web site so people will stop thinking that there's something wrong with their browsers and the photos aren't loading.

Until next time...

Larry
Larry @ SR is offline Find More Posts by Larry @ SR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2000, 05:54 PM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
Line begins here! (Andy... )
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
Old Aug 11, 2000, 06:22 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
I vote for a name change before the project gets too far down the trail. Cutie??? SJ.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Aug 11, 2000, 06:28 PM
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Joined Jun 2000
179 Posts
True, your demographics are mainly male. how about Badger, Wolf, X350, not cutie.?

"Hey son, lets load up the cutie and go flying!" Just doesn't sound right...

:-)

Ray
rayc is offline Find More Posts by rayc
Old Aug 11, 2000, 06:57 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Larry
I don't care what those tought guys think - "Cutie" sounds real good, unless this is the kind of model that eats Q500s for lunch and has a S400 racer for a snack

Unless you kicked Erin out , reckon she'll do fine. I thought a lot of my folks - but still had to get out of town by the time I was 22.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Aug 11, 2000, 08:59 PM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
The reason for Cutie will become apparent as the project nears its completion. There is a good reason. The ship after the Cutie will have a more aggressive name like X1,000,000.

Larry
Old Aug 11, 2000, 10:13 PM
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Joined Jun 2000
179 Posts
Great! Now I'm going to spend the next few months trying to figure that clue out!

AUUUGGGHHHH!! Q-TEE, Cutie, CUE T, hmmmm...

rayc is offline Find More Posts by rayc
Old Aug 12, 2000, 07:20 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,431 Posts
Good on ya Larry .
Clever man this great name as the other half just loves names like CUTIE thats a very shrewd plan indeed.

I'll be in the cue in front of Andy.

Sluf7

[This message has been edited by Sluf7 (edited 08-12-2000).]
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Aug 12, 2000, 07:42 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Slow down, Larry! I haven't gotten to the X250 yet and now the Cutie! OK, I'm pencilling it in on my wish list right after the 250. Gee, I'm going to have to take "remedial" plane building lessons and another job to keep up with all the fast builders, like Slope

Hey, Larry, appreciate all the inside insight you're providing us E Zoners. I always like learning from the Masters. May the E Force be with you!

Dave G
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Aug 12, 2000, 07:43 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
This may be the way to tempt my wife into R/C flight? Y'all wouldn't stand in the way of a woman, would you?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 12, 2000, 11:47 AM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
My wife Eileen has the all time best modeling quote. We're married 32 years now and she tells everyone that when we got married, she felt like she moved into a boy's room. Tell your wives. They'll be able to relate. Of course we always tell them that there are a lot worse things we could be doing. A little Cutie couldn't hurt.

Larry
Old Aug 12, 2000, 12:44 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Larry, don't know if it's just me, but I can't open your latest posting "The Doctor is in." I'm sending you this by e-mail, too.

Dave G

[This message has been edited by DaveG (edited 08-12-2000).]
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Aug 12, 2000, 12:55 PM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
When I try "The Doctor is In" I get a "This page cannot be found: bla-bla-bla..."
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE
Old Aug 12, 2000, 10:32 PM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
I just tried it and I had the same problem. Andy... Any suggestions as to why we can't get into the new thread I started? Should I try again to start it???

Larry
Old Aug 12, 2000, 11:26 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
No, disk space issues again. I have no control - I can just delete and edit as a moderator, sorry. Look for the site to go offline again when it's moved to new servers. Be prepared. Stock up on R/C related materials..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W