Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
First successful flight

First, wow. This group is huge! I've been lurking and finally joined today. Took a while to decide where to post this, and probably will still put it in the wrong place.

So probably 8 months ago I bought a Parkzone Radian and on the first flight (which lasted probably 10 seconds) crashed it. Fixed it up, but thought I'd wait to get some help. So, a couple weeks ago, I attended the LEAF (Longmont Colorado) "learn to fly" day and had about 1 minute on a powered plane while it was in the air. But, the best suggestion was to get a simulator. So I did. Phoenix RC4. Spent a lot of time on it, and though I thought I should still wait for a trainer/partner to get first flight, I braved it this AM and went out to a local field. Two flights. Two great landings. No Gorilla glue necessary! I was pretty happy and just needed to share.

This is a great resource, and I really appreciate all the input from others. Seems like everyone in this hobby is very helpful.

Thank,
Jim Bessette
jimbes is offline Find More Posts by jimbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Congratulations jim. This hobby is very fun and addicting
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,789 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! Those simulators are great, aren't they!? And the Radian is a great flyer, too. I recently had a chance to help a new guy buddy boxing him with his Radian. Such a smooth flyer. If I had more money and one less wife, I'd get one of my own!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
903 Posts
The sailplane guys almost all recommend the Radian for a trainer.

Way to go on the flights! That's about the most nerves that you will experience. You survived. Try slope soaring gliders on the simulator, and you will learn pure flight skills. Amazing!

2-part epoxy is much stronger on foamies, than Gorilla glue. About $10 for a pair of bottles.

From the Radian, you can go into electric sailplanes, electric scale planes, electric aerobatics.... You can buy almost anything on the web. But research what will work, first.
wuest3141 is online now Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Thanks guys. wuest3141, I just looked on the Phoenix software what slope soaring glider is. I guess you launch the thing from some altitude and somehow find the thing down below? Or maybe the idea is that there are enough thermals to keep it up high. I'll certainly give it a go. Crashing on the sim doesn't cost me anything.

I already bought another plane - T28 Trojan. It's been flown once, by someone else, so it's all set up for me, but that one I will definitely wait for a trainer to help on. The guy at the store did sell me some two part glue for it. Says it works much faster. Hope to not have to try it out too much. :-)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:47 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,102 Posts
radian is 3ch right? try out a high-wing 4ch before you maiden your t28.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,410 Posts
With what you've learned on a sim flying the Radian you can probably do without the help. I would still suggest seeking out help as mentors can be a valuable information resource and they can help you to not develop bad flying habits.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
radian is 3ch right? try out a high-wing 4ch before you maiden your t28.
Yes, 3 channel. I've used the simulator on a 4 channel (ailerons make a huge difference), and gotten pretty good on the sim - even getting OK flying upside down. But now and then I crash when trying something a little too "fun". :-)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,986 Posts
Good job, lots of fun isn't it!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Congrats

I remember my first successful flights from 2.5 years ago like it was yesterday...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbes View Post
Thanks guys. wuest3141, I just looked on the Phoenix software what slope soaring glider is. I guess you launch the thing from some altitude and somehow find the thing down below? Or maybe the idea is that there are enough thermals to keep it up high. I'll certainly give it a go. Crashing on the sim doesn't cost me anything.

I already bought another plane - T28 Trojan. It's been flown once, by someone else, so it's all set up for me, but that one I will definitely wait for a trainer to help on. The guy at the store did sell me some two part glue for it. Says it works much faster. Hope to not have to try it out too much. :-)
Fly it off the "CLIFF" site... Start off with maybe 5mph winds and learn and increase the wind. I like 15-20 mph... It'll fly forever and it's very realistic...Be sure that you adjust the wind direction to come straight into the cliff. And then launch directly into it. Especially important when the wind gets up over 15...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Last edited by rtbates; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: addition-
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,047 Posts
There ain't no feeling in the world like the feeling you get when you have your first successful flight. I remember mine like it was yesterday (because it pretty much WAS), and every time I put one of my planes up (see how quick the obsession grows?), it's a great feeling. LOVE seeing that P47 in the air...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined May 2011
206 Posts
I still remember the feeling I got the first time I got my wing off the ground and landed it successfully..

Welcome to the fraternity
ZSimon is offline Find More Posts by ZSimon
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Yeah, the first successful flight is memorable. For me though, the first time I landed my HZ Super Cub with no bounces and a nice flare at the end just stands out as a milestone.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
Down is up and up is expensive
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
I lost my first plane yesterday evening. I went out about 7:30 yesterday evening and about 5 min into my first battery my Champ wouldn't respond. It was about 60 or so yards away from me and when I went to turn it, it kept going straight away from me and wouldn't respond at all. I lost sight and have no idea where to look. There's an uncut cornfield next to where I was flying and I don't know if it made it across it and kept going or went down in it.I couldn't see because it went behind a row of pine trees.. I've been out walking the rows today anyways hoping for a miracle, but I guess it's long gone. I sure hated to lose it that way. It was my kick back and take it easy plane and what I had learned on, oh well, I guess that's part of it though. I sure had a lot of fun with that little Champ , mainly because I learned to fly on it and could fly it about anywhere, unlike my Supercub. I need a little more room for it.
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings