Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
Had 3 flights on 3S this morning - definitely a much nicer experience and more stable and predictable than the MIG-29 on the same setup

This is running the 5 blade fans and using a 500mAh 25C lipo, with about 10grams in the nose to get the 32mm CoG

Batteries were quite hot after the flights - Joe what are your thoughts on putting in the 3 blade fans to get the amps down a bit?

Also got a big thumbs up from a few of the people out walking this morning - does look good
First, I think you don't have enough battery. I would use a battery with more capacity and higher C rating that is 10g heavier than what you are using. I was using 3s 800 mAh 30C and I'm about to use a 40C instead just for good measure. You'll kill 500 mAh lipos with a twin EDF. Your lipo would be better suited for a single EDF setup.

You can also change to a 3 blade impeller and drop some amps too, but most importantly, you need a bigger lipo and get rid of the 10g of dead weight.

BTW, Congrats on the sucessful flights!
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
That will simply buff out
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
First, I think you don't have enough battery. I would use a battery with more capacity and higher C rating that is 10g heavier than what you are using. I was using 3s 800 mAh 30C and I'm about to use a 40C instead just for good measure. You'll kill 500 mAh lipos with a twin EDF. Your lipo would be better suited for a single EDF setup.
Thanks for the fast feedback - will check out some suitable 800mAh units

Need to find a home for these 500mAh - would the 35mm T-45 be a good candidate - just maidened the 50mm version and it is a nice piece of kit?
Boofhead is offline Find More Posts by Boofhead
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the fast feedback - will check out some suitable 800mAh units

Need to find a home for these 500mAh - would the 35mm T-45 be a good candidate - just maidened the 50mm version and it is a nice piece of kit?
Sure would. a single 35mm fan on 3s is under 10A so those lipos will handle that just fine.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:42 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Joe -
Just wanted to say thanks for answering my questions, but despite my love for the F-15 and the allure of twin fans I decided to go with a Stinger Sport Jet as my first EDF.
$84 to my door, and able to use 3S 2200 batteries (share with my T-28, I've got 5 of them), plus having a rudder tipped this over the SkyAngle Eagle.

I'm sure others here will be able to use the info you provided for my questions, thanks again and happy flying with the cool F-15!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Joe -
Just wanted to say thanks for answering my questions, but despite my love for the F-15 and the allure of twin fans I decided to go with a Stinger Sport Jet as my first EDF.
$84 to my door, and able to use 3S 2200 batteries (share with my T-28, I've got 5 of them), plus having a rudder tipped this over the SkyAngle Eagle.

I'm sure others here will be able to use the info you provided for my questions, thanks again and happy flying with the cool F-15!
No harm at all! Reality is that a first EDF should be as large as possible. The larger the model, the more forgiving the flight characteristics.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Just did some additional testing of amp draw. The pair of fans draws 14.7 amps peak using a 3s 800 mAh 40C. Pretty effecient amp draw on 3s.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks for the review and info Joe, those little fan units are teasing me into a twin design... havent decided yet but thanks to this thread I wont be flying blind if I go for it.

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Got a few more flights in today, this is without a doubt the best of the Skyangel twins. On 3s, it rocks pretty good. Very stable inverted, huge loops, good vertical, floats along at low throttle too. All with the 3 blade fans too. Makes me wonder if the 5 blade fans would offer any improvement with a trade off of higher amps.

OK Skyangel..... if you do more twins like this one, count me in.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
282 Posts
Thanks to the advise from Joe 1320 now have 850mAh 3S 35C batteries for the F-15

First flight with the new batteries started off well, but about 1 min in the flight lost control of the ailerons with the plane rolling out of control and chopped the power - went in from about 15m or so

Expecting the worst walked across and the damage was a lot less then I would have thought - tough birds these!

Testing the plane working back it look like one of the original servos is simply going full travel and staying there, hence the death spiral in

This is the third original servo to go (also lost 2 of the originals on the MIG-29) so will replace both with HK-282A servos and try again....
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to the advise from Joe 1320 now have 850mAh 3S 35C batteries for the F-15

First flight with the new batteries started off well, but about 1 min in the flight lost control of the ailerons with the plane rolling out of control and chopped the power - went in from about 15m or so

Expecting the worst walked across and the damage was a lot less then I would have thought - tough birds these!

Testing the plane working back it look like one of the original servos is simply going full travel and staying there, hence the death spiral in

This is the third original servo to go (also lost 2 of the originals on the MIG-29) so will replace both with HK-282A servos and try again....
Lucky man, that damage looks very minimal. That happened to me on one of my Mig 29s some time back, frustrating for sure. It happened to me more than once, each time it was a factory ARF servo. I haven't had one failure (yet) of a 282A.

So how do you like the SU-34? Do you happen to have the CG for that bird?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:26 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,733 Posts
With all of my planes, from PZ to JPower, etc...the stock servos are always very much hit and miss. While its convenient to get your new planes in the air quickly, I'm always ready to replace them at the first sign of weird action or noises.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Nice Joe , love the f-15 , had the HK F-15 for quite a while the trouble is its one of those planes you want to fly slow because it looks so good in the air.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:09 AM
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Lucky man, that damage looks very minimal. That happened to me on one of my Mig 29s some time back, frustrating for sure. It happened to me more than once, each time it was a factory ARF servo. I haven't had one failure (yet) of a 282A.

So how do you like the SU-34? Do you happen to have the CG for that bird?
Still being built - had the warped wings etc which took some time to sort out and they are not 100% but they will do - bit dissapointed around the QA on this and yes it has the squashed nose as well (they could have made a separate nose piece and simply glued this on to stop this)

No CoG as yet for the SU-34, and a few changes need to be made to even get a battery in but it does look very cool

Maiden hopefully next weekend or so - could be fun or a pile of parts......
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
282 Posts
Have replaced the servos and using the 850mAh 35C 3S and the plane is going really well - had about 10 flights now and it really goes much better as 3S.

Bit noisy (probably unbalanced fans) but does look good and makes a nice changes from the HH Micro MIG-15

Have a basic kit from HobbyB and have taken the fans from the MIG-29 and transplanted these to the new airframe (on 3 blade fans not 5) to see how this goes

Any ideas for a good colour scheme as the kit version is basically unpainted (apart from a red nose and blue tips on the tailplanes)?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,733 Posts
I'd vote for the dessert camo. Other popular options like blue camo or mutli-tone gray would get lost in the air too easily.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109