SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
F1 or Jan....would this be a decent upgrade when my stock motor poops out on me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSD-Brushles...-/160647335316
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Hi Jordan,

That motor comes from the same manufacturer (FSD) as the stock motor, so quality wise it'll be the same.

The can is 10 mm longer, giving it more torque and the Kv is slighty higher, giving you more speed (when using the same prop as you're currently running).

In one word: yes.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
Awesome, thank you Jan and F1 for all of the useful advice. I think I may order one of those motors as a back up incase mine dies any time soon. Obviously I would need to order a cooling jacket for this 28mm motor.....would any 28mm cooling jacket do the job or does it need to be a certain length? It would just seem that a longer cooling jacket would cool the motor better? Maybe Im wrong....

Something like this for the FSD2858 2881KV?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-tube-2848-380-cooler.html
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:48 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the motor from your link come with a cooling jacket?

Regards, Jan.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
It "did", but already sold and now all the ones I find are just the motor without the cooling jacket. Sorry for the confusion, I should have stated that in my previous post.
Last edited by JGuilty13; Sep 05, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
Alright, I am going to continue to run my stock boat with stock motor until it doesn't turn the prop anymore lol......"BUT" its addicting to want to upgrade I think I found my subtle upgrade and would greatly value your expertise. I want to continue to only run my 3s 3300-4000 35-70c nano-tech packs (I don't want to get new batteries).

Here is what Ive come up with:

Motor: Leopard 2845 2960kv - http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=leo-2845

Cooling jacket: - http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-tube-2848-380-cooler.html

ESC: - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html

What do you guys think? Will this all work together? One of my concerns is that the motor is supposedly 2845 and the cooling jacket is 2848....will it still fit on the motor?

Once again, you guys are amazing to come to for help and advice, greatly appreciated.

Jordan
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:57 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=41

Measurements first, comments and suggestions later...

Regards, Jan.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
Jan, sorry it took me a bit longer, but I have the dimensions of the bottom of the hull. Sorry for the picture quality, but you get the picture
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Hi Jordan,

No need for appologies, it's a hobby...

The hull is even narrower than my 25"MHZ Flash and I have issues keeping that boat on the water with a 2200Kv outrunner on 3S turning a 39 mm twoblade prop in anything over light chop.
It is scratching the 40 mph mark, mind you...

As the steps are mostly cosmetic (semiscale, as steps on rc-raceboats are significantly higher to actually work as steps, drawing air under the hull), you can regard the hull as a non stepped monohull, where propulsion is concerned.

As it's narrow, I would most certainly go the high rpm route, even if it means a smaller (=less efficient) prop.
The Leopard from your link fits the bill with nearly 30.000 rpm under load, the boat will be a handfull.

A cooling jacket is mandatory, in your link there's no length of the cooler specified, I'd check that prior to ordering one.
When in doubt, get the fitting Leopard cooler (or a longer can motor, see my suggestions).

The T120 is overkill, but works fine.
For that motor this one will suffice:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html

Regards, Jan.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
So I keep getting confused as far as the series and parallel battery configurations....would (2)2s 2200 in series be equivalent to a 4s 4400? Or am I thinking parallel?

Can someone break this down in layman's terms for me? Thanks guys lol
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:03 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
would (2)2s 2200 in series be equivalent to a 4s 4400?
Hi Jordan,

No, you'll have a 4S 2200mAh lipo (the Voltage adds up).

Wire them in parallel, and you'll have a 2S 4400mAh lipo (the capacity adds up).

Hope I didn't add to your confusion...

Regards, Jan.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Hey All, hope everyone has been doing well. Question, will the above mentioned upgraded motors support the 4mm flexishaft our boat is sporting. I know F1 mentioned we might need to upgrade to a 3/16inch with an upgraded motor, thoughts? And, how much work is that, I tried to find a matching 3/16 online but can't find an exact one, looks like we might have to drill new holes ect....

Also, I ordered several props, I have cut and balanced my first prop, YAY, was very fun and I am particular about details so took a bit of time. Of course I ordered the 1/8" shaft instead of the 4mm, sigh, had to drill out the core to fit, but all went well and tests were good. The prop shown is octura 435. My question is the motor and ESC was barely warm after 6-8min of running but it seemed a bit slow for me, does anyone think I can up the prop to the 440 without issues with my current stock flex, motor and ESC?
Shoc RC is offline Find More Posts by Shoc RC
Last edited by Shoc RC; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Hi Jordan,

No, you'll have a 4S 2200mAh lipo (the Voltage adds up).

Wire them in parallel, and you'll have a 2S 4400mAh lipo (the capacity adds up).

Hope I didn't add to your confusion...

Regards, Jan.

Hey Jan, what is the standard, series or parallel? At some point I will want to run 4s on an upgraded motor and drive.
Last edited by Shoc RC; Sep 11, 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added more info
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
Shoc, the latest motor that I listed above from Off Shore Electrics (Leopard 2845 2960kv) would be a very quality upgrade to our stock motor and it has a 4mm shaft. Im not exactly sure if our stock motor has a 4mm shaft or a 3/16 shaft, but I would bet my money on it having a 4mm shaft. The better motor from Leopard seems to be a drop in replacement (correct me if Im wrong guys). It has slightly higher KV than our stock so should give me a bit more punch with my 3 blade aluminum prop. Ill probably be ordering that motor with its cooling jacket pretty shorty....and the Turnigy120 for security.

Someone with more knowledge will have to answer your question about series and parallel.....but I feel that there really isn't a "standard"....it mainly depends on the type of boat and power set up that you are running.

The more knowledge individuals on here have stated that running this stock model on 4s is not a good idea, our motor has too high of a KV rating.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Well, I tried the CNC 440 prop today, on our stock set up. Don't do it, boat was running great for like 3 min. then stopped. I let it rest a bit then it sputtered into shore very slowly. Prop turning but not able to give any power. Battery was fine 3S 4500mAh, charged it and only held 2400mAh recharge so that was not it. I let everything cool, re greased my flex. I could start it just below water level while holding it and then let it go, it would go but not even close to speeds previously. Then if I stopped it, it would just sputter again into shore, slowly turning with no real power. What do you guys think, speed controller or motor, probably motor I think. So my upgrade will come sooner rather than later, LOL.

That said, I was looking at a little more powerful setup then what JG listed. I don't really want a paralleled upgrade, I want something that will keep me going well into the future. I can always control the throttle to keep a handle on the boat and slow down in turns but I want some rocket power on straight away.

I am looking at the leapord 2860 http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=leo-2860 but have no idea what KV to get, I see that Jan posted he was running 2200kv for speeds up to 40mph, which is lower kv then what was suggested for JG, 2960kv. I would like to use the octura 440 (it will probably end up being a 437 by the time I balance and sharpen it). would like to get more speed but also don't know if I will have to run 2x 3s in series which will give me 6S to get these speeds. I would like the most bang speed wise with just 1 3S pack. I think I would go with the same ESC as JG listed, the 120a just to be safe. Thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Shoc RC; Sep 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM.