SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
I was looking at these x2, (to be prepared for upgrades in the future).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

I have a local hobby shop, and will most likely keep business local but those are the same ones.
Shoc RC is offline Find More Posts by Shoc RC
Last edited by Shoc RC; Aug 23, 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: wrong link
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Yeah, the nano-techs are amazing. I got the smaller 3300 ones so I can use them in my FunCub as well during the winter months!
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:30 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,070 Posts
Jguilty
Dont bother you wont need 1 off them as long as you tape the hatch properly it will fine and like jan said check everything do it in the bath and see if any where leaks then sort that but to be honest you should be OK
F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Would it be a good idea to install one of these auto-bailers into the hull?
Hi Jordan,

That depends on your definition of 'a good idea'...

If flooding your boat due to debrie clogging up the autobailer is, by all means, install one.

Generally, fast electrics are taped shut, so nothing fills up in case of a flip, having an autobailer is basically a hole in your hull when upside down, if the hatch should leak, the air inside can get out through the auto-bailer and the boat will fill up.

Some pieces of paper towel, placed on strategic points in the hull will sweep up the few drops that do find their way inside the hull.

Autobailers are frequently used in gassers, where spray can get into the hull.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, OH, Celina
Joined Aug 2007
44 Posts
Drive it stock until you master it, then start to tune and modify.As I found with my SV27, driving a FE boat involves a lot of practice and a new set of skills. As with RC airplanes, faster is not better until you have a lot of experienc
lwahls1 is offline Find More Posts by lwahls1
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Pompebled, very great point on the auto bailer letting air in if the boat flips....never thought about that! Can't wait, I should have the boat and upgrades by Wednesday! Bought the Hobby King Swamp Dawg as well as a rescue boat lol. Can't wait.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Mini Review

Alright, so the boat arrived last night and I am very impressed with the overall quality of the hull and electrical components. Bought it from NitroRCX and was surprised to see that it came with a big heavy duty servo for rudder even though it clearly states in their description that one is NOT included....bonus!! First thing I did was take the flex shaft out so that I could add some marine grease (had no grease stock) and add my machined aluminum prop from OffShore Electrics (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=dh-venom-1992). I didn't want to even bother with the stock prop. Next I put a few drops of clear silicon fast drying caulk around the rubber servo boot for the rudder as well as the water cooling tube leading from the rudder into the boat. A quick bathtub test showed no initial leaks in the hull or any components. Let it all fully dry over night since I was planning on running it early the next morning....

This is my first fast electric boat and I didn't really know what to expect as far as performance. I had a ProBoat nitro blackjack 26 last summer as was less than satisfied, nitro just isn't for me. I only had two Turnigy 3s 2450mah 30-40c batteries to test it on as I wait for my larger Nano-Tech 3300 40-70c packs to come in. I am using the HobbyKing GT-2 tx/rx for this boat. Got everything hooked up and ready to go....time to head to the lake. Water was glass so I set her in and slowly added power for a couple figure 8's right out in from of me. I continued to slowly add more and more power and she continued to get faster and faster. This model ran smooth as silk throughout the entire power band. I am in no means a professional RC boater and like I said, this is my first fast electric, but man is this little bugger quick!! I honestly wouldn't want anything more than this at this point. I have nothing but good things to say about this model and this set up! I was skeptical at first because I could not find any solid reviews on this boat (only a few YouTube videos), but I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If you have had your eye on this model, get it. I cant wait to take it out in some choppier water! Its not too big and not too small, just right (for me). After running my two 2450 packs through it, the motor came back a bit warm, but nothing to raise hairs over. The 50amp water cooled ESC came back barely warm at all. The water cooling system could probably be a bit more efficient, but works properly. I was getting about 8 minutes of pretty solid use out of my 2450's.....so the 3300's should bring 10-12 min easy. After applying tape around the cabin, not one drip of water was present inside the hull after each run.

Overall I would rate this 5-stars. Anyone in the market for a first (or second) fast electric, this thing is great. I'm attaching a bunch of pics, but if you guys have any questions please let me know.
Last edited by JGuilty13; Aug 30, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
More pics....
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,914 Posts
Hi Jordan,

Told you the boat looks stunning, didn't I?

I know you don't want to upgrade right away, but once you get the hang of it and can run the boat in large ovals full throttle, there's a little trick that will make the boat faster without investing more than some elbow grease.

In the picture showing the bottom, I can see, that like on our ARPRO's, the bottom is far from flat.

If you hold a steel ruler over the seperate sections of the bottom you'll find a number of spots with either a rocker (bump), or a cavity, where light shines under the ruler.

If you take the time to carefully sand away the bumps, see how bad the dimples are after the sanding (leave them alone for now).
Use a flat surface, covered with 600 grid waterproof sandpaper and sand wet, only lengthwise(!).
Also make sure all trailing edges (of which there are a lot on this bottom...) are sanded sharp, do not(!) sand them round, with rounded edges, the hull will stick to the water in a way you won't believe...

I made a few pieces of angled aluminum to fit between the strakes, attached waterproof sandpaper with double sided tape, so I would only touch those surfaces.
For the strakes I made fitting 'sanders' too.

Once you've worked over the entire running surface, removing the bumps, the gelcoat will be thin in some spots, and even will have been sanded off completely, that's only cosmetic, the hull is still watertight.

Water will cling to a sanded smooth hull and leave a waterfilm, this film has a lot less drag, than a shiny surface, giving you more speed with the same motor, prop and battery.

If there are remaining dimples in the running surface, you could fill them and sand them flat and smooth, but if the dimples are only minor, I wouldn't bother and just sand the surface dull throughout.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Jan, thank you for the advice! And yes, you were right about the model....I love it. I would have totally thought that a high gloss gel-coat would be a lot "slipperier" in the water. I will definitely try your mod after I get the hang of this thing. Its just such a smooth running boat its size, but on the other hand I dont have much to compare it to lol. Welp, all in all I am a very happy customer and that's all one can hope for

Come on, there's got to be more of you guys out there running this boat!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:57 PM
United Kingdom, Garstang
Joined Nov 2009
186 Posts
hi

I'm one of them. Took this video when I first got it, apart from the prop it's stock.

28.5" Dragon Snap 2881kv - TEST 1 (1 min 25 sec)
richardknox is offline Find More Posts by richardknox
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Richard, what prop are you using?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Had the chance to get three more runs in. One with my 3s 2450 30c packs and two runs with my brand new 3s 3300 40-70c packs. There is definitely a slight performance increase with the new packs. Once again, the model is great and I am having a blast with it. Ill try to get some video this weekend.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
JG,

As above stated I must have ordered mine around same time you ordered yours. Anyhow, I received mine yesterday, everything is almost ready to go, I have leak tested and applied locktite where applicable. There is a slight imperfection in the paint on the starboard bow, no biggie but otherwise well done craft. As you noted, this model came with a servo already connected, bonus, (even though it clearly stated no servo)! I need to solder the deans clips on the battery and then I will also be testing it out. I did get a metal prop, (not as nice as yours, Grimm racer 36 x 55 2B prop) but its the only one my local hobby shop had in stock.

Couple of questions for the pro's.

1. I mistakenly got a CX G3 Series, Hyperion 7.4v 2S 25C 4000mAH battery. Is it worth even using this? I just assumed it was 11.1v cause that's why I asked the guy to get me out of the cabinet. Noticed it when I got home.
2. It seems like the prop size is okay but what do you guys think? Edit, yes, I am silly, the bore is only 1/8th so doesn't fit on the propeller shaft. Guess im headed back to the hobby shop. sigh

Thanks in advance
Shoc RC is offline Find More Posts by Shoc RC
Last edited by Shoc RC; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Shoc, your 2s will not give you the performance that this model is capable of....a few good 3s packs are a must. I wish I could help you with your prop question, but I am just not knowledgeable enough yet with the rc boating world. Thats why I just got the machined aluminum version of the stock prop. I actually got three venom plastic props (same as stock specs, just a better material) that I will not be using. If you think you could use them, let me know! Good luck with the boat, you'll love it when you get it on the water.