HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:49 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Discussion
Low level Pizza delivery

So, I have been watching this for a couple years and now, I think it was Domino's has two medium pizzas for $5.99, maybe some restrictions, like Mon-Wed or something, still, this is priced below frozen pizza.

I have this feeling one of the big three is going down. Nothing to base that on except for their advertising, race to the lowest price. The good pizza place near me, I pay $5 for two slices, and I have to go pick it up, their business is great. There are also the new low price places that don't deliver, Cici's old Shakey's style pizza bar, and Little Caesars has pizza ready in five minutes for pickup, something like that.

Personally, I never eat Pizza Hut, Dominoes or Poppa johns. I seems to me Dominoes or Poppa johns might be most vulnerable, as Pizza Hut is owned by a larger concern, they can carry it longer. One of these going down is going to help the other two. Seems like the old gas wars is going on, seeing who will blink first....

Any thoughts?
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:00 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Though I prefer a hand-made NY-style pizza from a local mom and pop store; we have a Dominoes right on the corner near our house. Their recent ad campaign about how they have improved pushed us to give them a try, and we really like them now.

Their $5.99 two-medium pizza deal is awesome. We usually spend about $14-16 (carryout) for the two pies with tax and an extra topping or two. Mom and pop's large pizza is over $20. Dominoes oven-baked sammiches are pretty good too

On occasion we get pizza and wings from Pizza Hut, which is not too bad either. We don't like Pappa John's, but it is very popular here.

That said, pizza is a rare treat in our household, as we are trying to reduce carbs.

Frankly, I don't see the "big three" going anywhere.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:07 AM
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Apr 2000
353 Posts
Mellow Mushroom at Northlake Tree...

Got a medium last night...

YMMV

Phil G is offline Find More Posts by Phil G
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:17 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post

YMMV

I'll second that Mellow Mushroom,best pizza in Atlanta...or anywhere...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:

YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
I'll second that Mellow Mushroom,best pizza in Atlanta...or anywhere...
YES, been eating at Mellow Mushroom since their first store, think it was on Spring Street, 1976?

The store at Northlake is better quality than the one at Emory. Best crust in the business.

Also good is an avocado sandwich, all sorts of veggies and cheese, including sprouts, popped in the pizza oven just long enough to toast it, and not cook the veggies inside, lots of cheese, yummy sandwich. I have made them at home, but cannot get them not to be messy as hell to eat, somehow they have that down at Mellow Mushroom. Also like their Caesar Salad.

I also like Everybodies Pizza, but it is far away now.

The place near me is Enzo's, on Hugh Howell, I like it, NY style, I do like Mellow Mushroom better, but for a couple slices, very convenient. My neighbor from Rochester, NY loves Enzo's, and those New Yorkers are picky about their pizza.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:37 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Though I prefer a hand-made NY-style pizza from a local mom and pop store; we have a Dominoes right on the corner near our house. Their recent ad campaign about how they have improved pushed us to give them a try, and we really like them now.

Their $5.99 two-medium pizza deal is awesome. We usually spend about $14-16 (carryout) for the two pies with tax and an extra topping or two. Mom and pop's large pizza is over $20. Dominoes oven-baked sammiches are pretty good too

On occasion we get pizza and wings from Pizza Hut, which is not too bad either. We don't like Pappa John's, but it is very popular here.

That said, pizza is a rare treat in our household, as we are trying to reduce carbs.

Frankly, I don't see the "big three" going anywhere.
I just notice the Pizza Hut near me, there is Zaxby's next door that does an incredible business because the food is really good, and you rarely see more than one or two cars at the Pizza Hut at their busy times and don't see drivers coming and going. Looks about the same for the Poppa Johns, although slightly more inside traffic.

In contrast, used to go by a Poppa Johns almost everyday where I used to live, and there was always a delivery driver zooming out or into the parking lot, so it could be something about different areas being slower, and some areas not affected. Or these up here might not have good product.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Apr 2000
353 Posts
I may have told you this before but I'm between Wally World and HD off Hwy29...

Phil G is offline Find More Posts by Phil G
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:53 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
I may have told you this before but I'm between Wally World and HD off Hwy29...

I remember. One of the first houses I looked at was right on 29, very noisy, and really close to walmart, never could get in touch with the realtor, kind of glad now, it was before prices hit bottom, and that traffic noise might have been a bother. So you are pretty close by.

I probably looked at 50 houses between then and finding this one.
Last edited by Treetop; Aug 23, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
I like local non-BigBox. Lacy's Pizza Bar in Carbon Hill and Mojo's in Cordova.

Though, before I got calorie and carb-conscious, I liked PizzaHut's Lunchtime Buffet. Which might have led to the need to be calorie and carb-conscious... [/oink]

No delivery here in The Sticks.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:07 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Why can't pizza be diet food? Eat all the pizza you want for a month, lose 10 lbs...

Or a snack that absorbs calories from other foods, on the back it could say Calories per serving.... -190 Something that tastes like Fritos or Beernuts.. Am I asking too much!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Low level Pizza delivery

I thought this was going to be another thread about Lancaster bombers.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:17 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Had Mellow Mushroom. Not at all my kinda pie. It's only 3 blocks from the house so I was pretty jazzed when it opened. More or less a meat market at night and bar.

Best pizza in town is local joint where they hand toss and stone oven
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:20 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
That may be where that title came from, I had just been reading that thread, my brain does things without asking first.

Dissing Lancasters, Pfffft! Some folks will do anything to get a dig in. If they were standing under one flying over dropping pizzas from about 100 feet, they would be excited as hell, or they wouldn't be on this forum!

Maybe they should drop Pizza in a Cup.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:32 AM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
688 Posts
Good, Dominoes needs to go down. Too many years of crap food with crappier service. If I want some 'za' here in CO, It's either Blackjack if I'm too lazy to go out, or one of the local mom & pop joints. Woody's Wood Fired Pizza is good too. Won't hurt my feelings a bit to see Papa John's go away either, yuck.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
Why can't pizza be diet food? Eat all the pizza you want for a month, lose 10 lbs...

Or a snack that absorbs calories from other foods, on the back it could say Calories per serving.... -190 Something that tastes like Fritos or Beernuts.. Am I asking too much!
No you're not! If we can put a robot vehicle on Mars we can create calorie absorbing pepperoni pizza!

While we wait for that, I've been eating California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken frozen pizza, which is thin crust and only 870 calories for the whole thing. Sacrifices must be made!

I worked four years during college in a local pizza place. Went to the 50th anniversary of its founding a couple of years ago. Going better than ever. Here we were back in the day.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48