to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
This is the one: Dualsky XM2212RTR-25
http://www.verticalhobby.com/kauppa/...42-p-2443.html

I thought I had mentioned it in this thread already but I had only posted the info in the F3P equipment thread above.
Finnspeed is online now Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, NJ, Englishtown
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
This is the one: Dualsky XM2212RTR-25
http://www.verticalhobby.com/kauppa/...42-p-2443.html

I thought I had mentioned it in this thread already but I had only posted the info in the F3P equipment thread above.

Looking forward to hear about your maiden flight. Waiting for my kit to come and I happen to have that very same motor in my arsenal!! I love when I can use stuff I already have!! lol

Anyone know where to get that cool carbon prop they are using in the videos??
bells33 is offline Find More Posts by bells33
Last edited by bells33; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
I got my Spies maidened and trimmed fairly well last night. It is not perfect yet but it is quite obvious that this is a very good plane.

The small Dualsky RTR with Glavak SG 09 x 2.0 slim pull the plane really well. Efficiency is no match for Kimmo Kaukoranta's coaxial system that gives the same flight time with 120 mAh battery as this system with 180 mAh but it is still OK and better than the Emax GT 2203 that I have in my RT Sirius Eleven.

At the moment the AUW is about 102 g with 12.6 g 180 mAh battery. I have not yet fitted the larger SFG fins since the Finnish sports and advanced sequences do not contain demanding knife edge moves and at least horizontal rolls are very nice even without them.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
I got my Spies maidened and trimmed fairly well last night. It is not perfect yet but it is quite obvious that this is a very good plane.

The small Dualsky RTR with Glavak SG 09 x 2.0 slim pull the plane really well. Efficiency is no match for Kimmo Kaukoranta's coaxial system that gives the same flight time with 120 mAh battery as this system with 180 mAh but it is still OK and better than the Emax GT 2203 that I have in my RT Sirius Eleven.

At the moment the AUW is about 102 g with 12.6 g 180 mAh battery. I have not yet fitted the larger SFG fins since the Finnish sports and advanced sequences do not contain demanding knife edge moves and at least horizontal rolls are very nice even without them.
Thanks for the update Finn... Can I ask what type of glue you used for build.
Before I get my Glavak prop, can you recommend a prop choice? (something I can get easily in US)
Last edited by bells33; Nov 25, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:08 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
If you have this same motor, the GWS 7 x 3.5 is the correct basic choice. It will work and pull just fine. The larger diameter Glavak will offer much better braking on the down lines though.

I used the 15 min Beli-Zell glue. It is polyurethane glue that foams a bit when drying and forms flexible and very light seam.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
If you have this same motor, the GWS 7 x 3.5 is the correct basic choice. It will work and pull just fine. The larger diameter Glavak will offer much better braking on the down lines though.

I used the 15 min Beli-Zell glue. It is polyurethane glue that foams a bit when drying and forms flexible and very light seam.
Thanks again Finn... I will be ordering a Glavak prop for sure!
Someone gave me a tube of "FOAM TAC" glue.... but don't know if its the right choice for this project. He said it will weight less than CA...

....I might just stick with good ole' CA!!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,218 Posts
Hi,
On my last plane, RT Sirius Eleven, I used not a single drop of CA, only Beli-Zell (green tube) 10 min (working time) and UHU Por glues. Worked great. There is also a Beli-Zell red tube that has longer working time and is white in color (the green tube is more like towards transparent color in the glue joint). There is also a kicker for it that shortens cure time by 4 times.

It is amazing how little Beli-Zell glue that is needed since it expand a little, You can not apply a lot of it since they You will get a ugly joint.

http://www.adhesionstechnics.com/index.php?id=20&L=3

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Nov 26, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
Quote:

I'm using your pics as a guide for my build. Did you go ahead and put mylar on your side force generators?

Any chance you can post some closeups of your servo setups? Did you go pull-pull on both elevator and rudder? And finally (for now ) can you show me where you put the flat carbon supports? I think I see on wing leading edges? and sides of fuse? Any in tail?

Thanks for all your help.

I didn't notice the flat carbon in Don's pic of the milled version.
Last edited by bells33; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:32 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
As a matter of fact I had taken some closeups.

I use pull-pull system for both elevator and rudder. I set up the thread as a single piece loop that starts from the little screw on the servo arm, runs to the tail and through both ends of the tail surface horn and then back to the other side of the servo arm. The other end is locked to the same screw with a small droplet of CA. The idea behind this is that

1. You can tighten the thread by simply turning the screw. This does not change the trims since the screw pulls both ends of the thread equally.

2. After I have the thread in place and somewhat tightened, I can center the servo and the surface and lock it in place by applying a droplet of CA to the tail horn.

I can take a pic of the tail horn to show how that thread goes there.

I attached a pic that shows the carbon bracing of the plane. The leading edge has a continuous strip of the 3 x 0.3 mm flat carbon included in the kit but the fuse sides have strips of lighter 3 x 0.13 carbon to save weight. The tail bracing is 0.7 mm tube and the wings have 1.0 mm tube. You can use the 1 mm and 0.8 mm rods included in the kit as well, they will only add a tiny amount of weight.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Nov 2004
967 Posts
Quote:

That is very nice weight! And impressive clean building . Very soon I will start build custom mylar covered Spies. I hope to end up at 100g +-5g mark. I plan to use JR 290 on ailerons for maximum precision. 180mah battery and again Mr. Glavak Coaxial system.

I include some pictures of (manual) Spies building.
3Don is offline Find More Posts by 3Don
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Nov 2004
967 Posts
More pic's and unknown video from EIAC;
EIAC 2012 F3P-Unknown - Donatas Pauzuolis (0 min 0 sec)
3Don is offline Find More Posts by 3Don
Last edited by 3Don; Nov 27, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
Looking good Donatas!
Twisted Realm is online now Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
FINN... your side force generators look different than mine. Mine are just milled. Did you cut yours out and put Mylar on them?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bells33 View Post
FINN... your side force generators look different than mine. Mine are just milled. Did you cut yours out and put Mylar on them?
I made new ones and covered with 5 um mylar. To save some weight of course... And I wanted to try out the mylar method as well.

Thanks for your kind comments, Donatas. I'm beginning to learn how to build these. Now I just have to learn to fly...