HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
19 Posts
Hello,

I have received two prototypes, one in depron milled and the other covered by mylar.
For the milled and depron kit, the quality is i would say as the Donatas Design standard is.....very good!!

For the mylar version, I am very impressed by the result, first and most important point is the rigidity of the airframe!
Second point is the weight, at the same stage of assembly my personnal planes (with 6mm) are 6gr lighter, which is pretty close!
Furthermore, there is still some area to milled, nose of the fuselage, Airbrake, gears...2-3g at least!

I let you informed about the assembly as soon as i start it...

Cheers

Fab
fturpaud is offline Find More Posts by fturpaud
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fturpaud View Post
Hello,

I have received two prototypes, one in depron milled and the other covered by mylar.
For the milled and depron kit, the quality is i would say as the Donatas Design standard is.....very good!!

For the mylar version, I am very impressed by the result, first and most important point is the rigidity of the airframe!
Second point is the weight, at the same stage of assembly my personnal planes (with 6mm) are 6gr lighter, which is pretty close!
Furthermore, there is still some area to milled, nose of the fuselage, Airbrake, gears...2-3g at least!

I let you informed about the assembly as soon as i start it...

Cheers

Fab
Good to see you here Fabien! Weight difference you see is mostly because of thickness of mylar and not such wide opening like you have. We use 0.012mm mylar film, thiner one will not hold printing. As you can see film is WAY stronger than super thin mylar we use until now. So for mass production and regular customers this is much better option. My friend Ignas is assembling milled version of Spies. I move with mylar version build. Here couple pictures:
3Don is offline Find More Posts by 3Don
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Finally this weekend I tested Spies covered with mylar, and Ignas tested depron version. Both flight reports are very positive. Great rolls, fuselage almost do not move during trasition from KE and upright flights. Rolling circles and loops are perfect.
Mylar covered plane is 112 g, with Glacak coaxial motor (25,5g)
Ignas milled depron Spies is just 107 g with EP 2202/1550.

I use 180 mah batteries, Ignas use standart equipment and 120mah. So going crazy with all lightest equipment, it should be easy to get depron version close to 100g, and sure mylar version under 100g. In any case I am very happy with the way 112g plane fly. Certainly one of the best F3P planes i ever tested.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:15 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
874 Posts
Looks good! Is there a video coming up soon?

I just noticed the milled versions are in stock @ Autopartner.se. Do you have any dates for the mylar covered one? Also, I'd like to know the wing span, length and wing area.

How about your plane, did you use the standard carbon parts in the kit, which servos and did you lighten the servo wiring or receiver?

Too many questions, I know...
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Here is bit more info about Spies: http://www.pauzuolis-rc.com/fabien-turpaud-spies
Some answers to your questions:
No dates on mylar version yet, i still testing it, so far it looks good, but i want to be sure it is strong enought for regular customers.
Spies wingspan; 80cm
Fuselage lenght; 90cm

I used carbon tubes all around. Also i made shorter servo wirres, i do this on all my models, if you do not pay attention to small details you end up with 10g heavier plane...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:08 AM
F3A Flyer
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2005
17 Posts
The plane looks and flies great especially with the contra. Will this model be available in the US?
mpx4000 is offline Find More Posts by mpx4000
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx4000 View Post
The plane looks and flies great especially with the contra. Will this model be available in the US?
I am preparing video, hopefully it will be ready tonight. Yes it will be available in USA, i will let you know details.

For more urgent questions you can reach me at: donatasdesign@gmail.com
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Ignas Spies, 4th flight :
Donatas Design: Spies by Fabien Turpaud (3 min 56 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Here you go as promised Spies presentation video with S.Glavak coaxial system:
Donatas Design F3P plane SPIES (5 min 18 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
874 Posts
Cool! Very informative too. I'm about to hit the "order" button...
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
Fly for God, not for the World
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
140 Posts
Not Free is offline Find More Posts by Not Free
Last edited by Not Free; Oct 11, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
Fly for God, not for the World
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Don View Post
Here you go as promised Spies presentation video with S.Glavak coaxial system:
WOW That is AMAZING!!

Not Free until He died for Me
Not Free is offline Find More Posts by Not Free
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
Cool! Very informative too. I'm about to hit the "order" button...
Thank you for kind comments, I want this video to be useful for all F3P pilots, so i put bit information about setup, much more info will be posted in manual. I also gonna start detailed Spies building thread here.
Last edited by 3Don; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Donatas, it looks amazing and the depron parts with the mylar are extraordinary building..
great video too...

keep bring us new developments for F3P...
Nadav Sharabi is offline Find More Posts by Nadav Sharabi
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
828 Posts
Hey Donatas,

The vids are GREAT!

Please keep up the innovations!

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free