HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,350 Posts
Question
Anderson Powerpole Question

So thinking I might finally make the switch. So for all of you out there who use them do you buy the individual housings and attach them with the roll pin or buy the permanently bonded? If you bought only the permanently bonded wouldn't that result in backwards polarity on one of the sides?

Also save me the trouble of the math, is it cheaper to buy sets from Powerwerx or the individual parts?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
941 Posts
A lot of good information at "West Mountain Radio".

Michael
elecfryer is online now Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,350 Posts
doesn't really answer my question....

my impatience did get the best of me so I did the math, kind of confused how it seems to be quite a bit cheaper to buy the sets then the individual parts. To do 50 "sets" of 30 amp in individual parts comes to $47 while 50 sets is only $38.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:52 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I buy the 25 pair bag.
Comes with 25 red, 25 black, 50 contacts and 25 roll pins.
These are the silver plated ones, not the zink plated ones.
I don't remember what I paid.
You really need them to be separate individual pieces and not bonded together.
If they were bonded together, you are right, you will have backward polarity on one side.

I have heard from many guys here on RCG that the best way to use them is with the crimpers.
I just haven't been able to part with that much money yet so I solder them.

Mark keeps promising to let me try his crimpers but we haven't hooked up yet.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,350 Posts
I was going to order the crimper. Figured 25 each of the 15 and 30. The 45 part of me says go ahead and get 25 instead of 10 but not really sure how much I'll use them.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,947 Posts
It's ok to get them permanently bonded but there is really no reason to do such. In fact, I sometimes separate the shells to allow for series operation and other experimentation. One can easily put a small drop of CA on the housing if you want to affix them to one another permanently.

Also, ordering them bonded together will not create polarity issues. The same polarity is used for battery, ESC, and charger leads. This is counterintuitive at first but makes sense after you've used them for any length of time.

Connex electronics
was the cheapest the last time I purchased in bulk but prices fluctuate so it's best to shop around. IIRC, Newark and Digikey also carry them, as well as above mentioned Powerwerx and West Mountain Radio.

I still owe you a visit Roger! Hope to make it to OC in the next few weekends and will have WMR crimpers in hand.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:52 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
125 Posts
How much over spec can you safely operate these connectors?
Dusey52 is offline Find More Posts by Dusey52
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Jan 2006
86 Posts
I suggest you buy at least 25 pairs of connectors and get a crimper - its amazing how much faster it is than soldering, & if you crimp them all the way down the connections are absolutely solid. The speed and the solid connections are - IMHO - very well worth the cost of the crimpers.

You will go through a batch of connectors faster than you would think: one pair on each battery, one pair on the power side of the ESC, three on the motor side of the ESC, three on the motor (assuming you use connectors between motor & ESC as lots of us do). That comes to 10 connectors if you only use one battery pack, I usually have 3 or so batteries for an airplane so I can easily go through 16 pairs for one airplane set up -- just saying.

They work great, are easy to use, take amps significantly over their rating (I know a heli guy who says he is running 65 amps through his "35 amp" rated connectors -- he says he has not had a single problem.) I am more conservative that he is and stay pretty close to the ratings on my connectors.

carl
Carl'sbones is offline Find More Posts by Carl'sbones
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:13 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Thanks Mark.

Looking forward to it.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
no points for speed
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
The permanently bonded shells don't cause polarity problems. You have to flip one of the connectors over to plug them together. I bought the permanently bonded shells and I haven't regretted it. My few planes are all 3S so I have no reason to hook any batteries in series. With the prebonded shells you won't make the mistake of putting the + and - the wrong way around on a battery and then smoking an ESC when you plug it in.
bradley2j is offline Find More Posts by bradley2j
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,415 Posts
Rolled pin or not?

Some of mine have the pin installed; but it does affect the spacing – a bit wider. So, when connect one with & one w/o care is required.

Yes I also do a drop of CA on some too.

Got a bunch from a local distributor; but, could find them again – so last 2 orders have been from Tower: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD176&P=6 , or http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD177&P=6 .

Here’s what I mostly do – Arming Plug w/Charging – also lets me do Whatmeter type measurements w/o breaking into the wiring:

Flight Idle Via Throttle Curve & Mix Switch (1 min 46 sec)

!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:48 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,415 Posts
PS: Have soldered; but now primarily crimp:
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:07 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Also save me the trouble of the math, is it cheaper to buy sets from Powerwerx or the individual parts?
Really? Basic math?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:10 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,605 Posts
Skip the roll pins and add a tiny drop of CA and slide the dove tail together. I rarely need to do it, but the few I've glued seem like they'll never come apart.

P.S. Anyone need any roll pins, I have a bunch I'm never going to use.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
Really? Basic math?
What can I say I'm a lazy bastard. Too much math in college burnt me out. Trig, Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3, Diff Eq and Linear Algebra. I think that's all of it. Boy did it suck and I never really use any of it.

Looking around Powerwerx seems to have the best price right now and since I need a crimper that limits my options.