SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
Discussion
Question

I just purchased a Great Planes PBY, and it calls for to rimfire 28-30-950. I looked at the price an WOW. Is there a lower priced motor and who makes them?
sarge566 is offline Find More Posts by sarge566
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:17 PM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
Yes. Search for Suppo 2212-15. Dr. Kiwi tested and posted the results here on RCG. Cheap but good motors. I have a lot of motors, including Hacker, Axi, Hyperion, Scorpion, Mega, E-Flite etc. and also Suppo, in fact I have more Suppo motors than others and can confirm it is a good motor.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
A pair of these motors will do you fine. I think the Rimfire motors use a nonstandard 120-degree bolt pattern and I suspect Great Planes in their infinite marketing wisdom will have set up the Catalina to accept that bolt pattern, but drilling new holes is pretty simple.

For an even cheaper option, these will also do it.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:26 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
Hehehe, Swen beat me to it. The BP motors in my link are actually Suppo 2212/13s rather than the 15s he suggested, but the RCTimers are essentially identical to the Suppo 2212/15. Either one will work; the slight Kv difference won't make a big impact.

Great minds think alike
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
question

Thanks guys, I see that there's a real big price difference. This is one of the things I like about this site......all the help that you can get. another question, GP says to use Futaba servo's 2-S3103 and 2 S3110, is there other servo's that would work with a Futaba transmitter and receiver?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:49 PM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
GP will tell you to use what they sell. Any servo will work with any Tx and Rx apart from the very new and very expensive Futaba S-Bus system, but even that is possible. Yours will most probable not be s-bus, unless you paid like $2000 for the radio.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
No, Swen I only have a Futaba 6ex transmitter. It uses the fasst receiver. I beleive it said to use a micro receiver and the two micro mini, oops four micro mini servo's.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:31 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'm not familiar with the PBY plane in question but I've seen where Great Planes (in the case of the small Seawind EP) supplies a motor mount with a hole pattern that is very specific to Rimfire motors. So you may end up having to mod the motor mount a bit.

I've had generally good luck with Suppo motors from BP... but recently had one fail. I'm blaming the Mystery ESC for killing the motor, but who knows...
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:52 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,888 Posts
I have 3 of those exact motors... bought them before I discovered hobby king and other cheap suppliers. They're great motors that have had the honor of powering several planes over the last 5 years, and with a fuel plane background, $50 for a motor pales compared to the price of most glow engines. Sometimes it's nice to buy exactly what they recommend for a plane so that it goes together exactly as they intended.

However, there are a lot of good substitutes in this thread and modifying the firewall a little to save a chunk of change is no biggie.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,426 Posts
I also recommend Suppo motors where maximum power is not the quest but a good, reliable and efficient motor is required. I have various different brands and my biggest (30%) and most expensive planes run on Axi motors (5kW +), but for a lot of my fun planes I use Suppo. In fact, I have 21 Suppo motors. I did not use all of them yet, but never had a motor failure. The one 2212 I rewinded for more power and push more than 500 watt through a 50 gram motor. I did dinamometer tests on some of it and it is more efficient than most the expensive brand named motors.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
more "Suppo" motors here:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...cs-c-9_36.html

There's a couple of other vendors that sell them in other aliases.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
949 Posts
Almost any servos will work with the Futaba (or any other) transmitters. About 35-40 gram servos are "regular" size. 30 gram servos are light. Both analog and digital servos are available for about $8 each on the web. servocity, leadershobby, hobbypartz.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141