SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
Help!
KK SingleCopter VTOL

I've tried a similar thread but had no luck with any responses so hopefully someone can give me just a little advice in here now...

I simply can NOT get my KK (HK V2.1) board to give me the desired results on my SingleCopter / VTOL design no matter what I try.

It is a 1 Motor / 4 Servo design. I've tried many SingleCopter Firmware versions from Minsoo... 1.6 through to 2.9 and the best I can do is get the ESC range setting to work and some throttle response, but then after re-booting... nothing.. just a beeping ESC. No Arming, No control surface movement of any kind.

I've also tried the KapteinKUK VTOL 1.0 Firmware and have it all working except, the Yaw Gyro is compensating in the wrong direction and nothing I do will reverse it.

Can anyone PLEASE give me specifics of the Firmware and (1M/4S) setup that has worked for them? Like I said in my other post, I have built a bunch of KK Quads and had a lot of success.. this is just really stumping me.

Thanks for anything you can give..

D.
DeeBeeTee is offline Find More Posts by DeeBeeTee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBeeTee View Post
...can give me just a little advice in here now...
My advice is place KK board gently but firmly in trash can. Purchase MultiWii to solve your problems.

Not the advice your were looking for but a lot more people can read MultiWii code which means more help for custom projects like yours.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:00 PM
Austria
Joined Oct 2007
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
My advice is place KK board gently but firmly in trash can. Purchase MultiWii to solve your problems.
Not the advice your were looking for but a lot more people can read MultiWii code which means more help for custom projects like yours.
RCvertt, in general a KK-board is is very well suitable for this application - I have sucessfully flown my Single Ducted Prop with a KK-board

SDP V1.2 + KK-board! (1 min 50 sec)

Cheers!
VTOLicious is offline Find More Posts by VTOLicious
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
Austria
Joined Oct 2007
281 Posts
Quote:
I've also tried the KapteinKUK VTOL 1.0 Firmware and have it all working except, the Yaw Gyro is compensating in the wrong direction and nothing I do will reverse it.
The Kapteins firmware worked fine for me! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8521

Find some setup instructions here: http://rcexplorer.se/page14/kkguide/kkguide/tri.html

Extract:

5. Reversing the gyros. This is how you reverse the compensation direction of the gyros

- Make sure that the flight-controller is turned off
- Turn the Roll pot to the MIN position
- Turn on the transmitter then the flight-controller
- The LED will flash rapidly 10 times and then turn of
- Move the stick for the gyro you want to reverse. (If you want to reverse the roll gyro, move the roll (aileron) stick)
- The LED will flash continually to confirm your choice
- Turn of the flight-controller
- If more gyros needs to be reversed, turn on the flight-controller and repeat the process. If you’ve reversed all the gyros you want, restore the pot to 50%

Have fun!
Last edited by VTOLicious; Aug 22, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOLicious View Post
RCvertt, in general a KK-board is is very well suitable for this application - I have sucessfully flown my Single Ducted Prop with a KK-board
Looks good.

If you know assembly code or just the built in single copter stuff then help a bother out with his beeping
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your input!

RCVertt, I have a Cruis MultiWII board on my big(ger) FPV Quad and would rather not dissect anythign at this stage - however, I will if it comes down to that! :-)

VTOLicious, are you suggesting that the gyro reversal procedure you've listed (which is an excerpt from the Minsoo firmware documentation from what I can see) will work on the KK SPDFVTOL Firmware available in the KK Flashtool library? I have tried this procedure and it hasnt worked for me at all... in-fact, the only thing I have been able to do reliably with that firmware is reverse the POT direction meaning that MIN -> MAX gets switched from CW to CCW. Weird. I even tried putting a different firmware on it, successfully reversing the YAW gyro and then relaoding the VTOL firmware only to be right back where I started.

I should mention that I ALSO have a KK2 board and tried loading the SingleCopter config through the LCD only to have the Throttle, Arming, Disarming process work perfectly but again, absolutely NO control surface response of any kind from either stick input or gyro compensation. And of course, I have tested all servos etc and it's all good.

I feel like I'm so close but just missing something really simple... thanks again for your help!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, IL, Park Ridge
Joined Apr 2010
211 Posts
Hi !
Look at Happy Sundays ball drone software for KK board.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...454102&page=20
Regards
Tifani is offline Find More Posts by Tifani
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
Thanks all... So.. I went back to Minsoo SingleCopter V1.6 and got it working!!

Now.. I just need to tune ut and get it to hover.. I'm concerned I may have built it a bit small ... 14" wingspan with AUW around 260g. Not precisely sure where the CG should be.. running it at about 33% right now and having trouble getting the hover down.

For tuning and dialing things in, would you recommend extending the CG forward by adding an extension / weight to the nose or go the other way and hang it all off the bottom?

Cheers
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:58 AM
Austria
Joined Oct 2007
281 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all... So.. I went back to Minsoo SingleCopter V1.6 and got it working!!
Now.. I just need to tune ut and get it to hover.. I'm concerned I may have built it a bit small ... 14" wingspan with AUW around 260g. Not precisely sure where the CG should be.. running it at about 33% right now and having trouble getting the hover down.
For tuning and dialing things in, would you recommend extending the CG forward by adding an extension / weight to the nose or go the other way and hang it all off the bottom?
Cheers
Is it a plane, is it a bird? ...post some pics please.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,849 Posts
To get more response you need the GC to be further from the control surfaces. "Hanging weight on the bottom" does not make a VTOL plane more stable, unless it has an articulated rotor and a stabilization bar.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
7 Posts
I'll try and get some pics up over the weekend. Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Deleted....
Optimus One is offline Find More Posts by Optimus One
Last edited by Optimus One; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:53 AM
NoT iNtElLiGeNt
India, Andhra Pradesh, Guntur
Joined Jan 2011
126 Posts
i am using kk black board v5.5, coded to VTOl. but facing problem in " how to connect board +Reciever + servo's".

i could not find any useful stuff in internet regarding connecting receiver and kk board.

if any one have an idea post proper pic/ pdf file or video
jyothibasu1k is offline Find More Posts by jyothibasu1k
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:09 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
993 Posts
[QUOTE=I should mention that I ALSO have a KK2 board and tried loading the SingleCopter config through the LCD only to have the Throttle, Arming, Disarming process work perfectly but again, absolutely NO control surface response of any kind from either stick input or gyro compensation. And of course, I have tested all servos etc and it's all good.
[/QUOTE]

I might have an idea.. I used my KK2 board to drive some servo's and was stumped for a while when they didn't move or do anything. I finally figured out that the servo outputs are frozen until you give it a little throttle. It seems this is a caryover from the safety feature for ESC's where they stop the PPM output to make sure the motors don't turn. I am not talking about just arming either. You have to both arm and then get the motors turning. In my case, it killed my interest in the KK2 board for driving servo's, because my toys can glide, but it might not be a problem for you.

Also, on the KK2 board, there is an offset input that you need to set to 50% (or something like that) because servo's are nominally in the middle of their travel whereas ESC start from low throttle. I don't remember the exact menu as I don't have it in front of me right now.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Feb 26, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
11 Posts
Ran D is right..You need power (bec, esc..) to one of m2-m8 (m1 only powers the board). You need also (as Ran says) to offset by 50 in the mixing editor - all the servos. If you use analog keep em low rate!!!
rc foam is offline Find More Posts by rc foam