HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:29 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,378 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Tiger Moth Walnut FF to RC conversion

I know this has been done before but I figured I would post my build. I really enjoy these Dumas Walnut series kits for conversion to Parkzone Ultra Micro motors and control boards. It's been a while since my last build which was the Dumas Curtiss P-6

I tend to build these kits as suggested by Dumas without much thought to saving weight or getting fancy. I'm not a great builder but more of a average guy just following the plans and using supplied wood. I mention this to show that if I can get good results than anyone can. I'll let glewis and PaulBrad lead the way with frighteningly good looking results. Me I just want to relax at the building board and cobble a flyable model together.

First tip - I use Sig Bond for wood on wood glue. I dislike CA for these kits for a multitude of reasons. I'll use it for repairs but not in building. Sig Bond dries faster than you would think but slow enough to allow you to work on alignment.

I started the build with the fuse side and tail surfaces. The tail mod was added a second 1/16 stringer where I wanted to split the surface from stab to elevator/rudder. I cut the outside wood after everything is dry.

The fuse build went according to plans and stopped before the longerons went on. I played with the idea of using the 4-Site motor mount on this plane. I think I may use the P-51 motor mount as it is much simpler to mount.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,378 Posts
More progress

I built up the fuse and before I put all the stingers on the front I figured out how to install the motor. I modified the P-51 style mount to slide forward on the longerons and poke the motor through the firewall so that the prop shaft would clear the cowl. Simple enough.

Mounting the AR6400 was simple as well. It barely fits in the front seat area as I slid it in from the side. I used canopy glue to hold it in place. It was a tight squeeze so it worked fine.

I covered the tail surfaces and mounted them while playing with control rods on the board. It's a pain in the neck to work in such tight spaces but I used the classic wire/carbon rod/shrink tubing method for setting up the control rods. A drop of CA is used to hold the rods secure when everything is set at neutral. After I had both the elevator and rudder completed I had a DUH moment when I went to lock the rod in place with a careful drop of CA. I put too much on and let the thin CA travel down the rod into the servo ruining the thing. I carefully removed the servo screws and installed a spare servo using the same servo motor. HA! it worked!

I figured it would be a good time to stop.

Next step is building the wings. I plan on keeping this a 3 Channel. No ailerons. I just don't think they are worth it on a 17 inch wing span.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
.................... I plan on keeping this a 3 Channel. No ailerons. I just don't think they are worth it on a 17 inch wing span.
Oh really?

You don't know what you're missing......................
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:30 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
I've got one of these kits on the shelf myself.

You can use 1/4 of the length of heat shrink on each end of the push rods and be just fine. Using canopy glue on each end of the heat shrink will lock everything in place w/o running into places it is not wanted. It can be debonded with plain water too.

Ailerons on built-up planes this size is a LOT of work to do right. I'd like to do them on mine if I ever get to it. It would be nice to see what results someone else has
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
It looks like the tissue on the tail is a bit loose. Way back when I used to build guillows models and found that if I put plain old water in a fine misting spray bottle, and sprayed the tissue, it would tighten up quite a bit - even more tightening than I got with dope. Of course you don't want enough water that it gets into the wood, just enough to dampen the tissue.

I don't know if you planned to do this anyway, but thought I would throw it out there.
nfsiv is offline Find More Posts by nfsiv
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,378 Posts
I will mist the tissue later on when I have all the covering complete.

Regarding ailerons - I am interested in possible adding them on. Do you guys have a thread you can link here showing me your solution?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,828 Posts
I find it best to mist the tissue then pin to the board on little blocks of scrap. This will hold it flat as the tissue shrinks.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:33 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Regarding ailerons - I am interested in possible adding them on. Do you guys have a thread you can link here showing me your solution?
Pete (mtflyr) has a clever solution - see his treads on the Yak, Nieuport, and Mosquito, for starters.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,378 Posts
This thing sat for the longest time on the building board. I decided to quickly bang it out without much concern for how it looks. Just get it done and move on.

In and effort to keep it simple I stuck with the 3 channels. The covering was applied using the Elmers glue stick and final assembly went together really well. The tires are off of a Carbon Cub LG assembly. Not only are they light but they do a remarkable job at absorbing shock. The quick hit with a yellow Sharpie is evident in these photos but not 3 feet away. I still need to finish this with dope and decals along with some yellow touch up here and there.

I went to test fly it this morning and found the rudder was jamming at left turn. I brought it into the house to see if I could free it up. The AR6400 was fine last night. I did have to hit the control rod near the servo with some CA to set the wire in place as it was sliding in the shrink wrap. It must have wicked into the servo at some point afterwards. Bummer!

A quick fix. Break the rudder control arm and glue it back with left turn built in and then center the servo. The reduced throw of 50% travel actually works really well as more throw tends to snap the plane into a spin. I took it out side and flew it with a 1 cell 180 Hyperion tucked into the nose. It flew perfect and was very controllable. It ROG and lands sweetly on the Carbon Cub tires. Once again I didn't get fancy. I'm more of a flyer than a builder so go easy.

Next step is to get out the Dope and thinner and seal the tissue.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,828 Posts
Good job! Looks really good man.
Add dope and decals and call it done!
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,378 Posts
Working from home today. I took time off here an there to Dope the tissue and finish the Moth. Boy to I hate the smell of Dope. I had the garage door open and still was overwhelmed by the stuff while working only about 6 feet from the open door. It was a very dry day here so perfect for the 50/50 Dope thinner to go on easy and dry fast. Decals and wind screens on and I'm done!