HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by C₄H₁₀, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:44 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,258 Posts
Discussion
Some of the pylon planes I've built.

This is pretty much just a compilation of some of the various pylon-type planes I've built over the past few years. Pics and basic specs of each just for fun.

- Slipso400 -

I started this one about a week ago, two days before I destroyed the blue and white one. Notable changes include a longer, higher-aspect-ratio wing (32" span, 4.25" root chord) that's made from a 3/8" plank, and a slightly wider, deeper, and longer fuselage. All parts blend smoothly together for a virtually seamless, incredibly slippery profile. Should be finished soon, hopefully.

- Slipso400 -

This is the newest Slipso I've built. Fully glassed, Venom V40 motor, 3S 1800mAh pack, 30A Jeti ESC. I think I finally did the linkages a way I like them, and overall I'm happy with the looks and such. Haven't maidened her yet but I'm expecting ~130-135mph.

**** EDIT 12-13-2012 ****
This Slipso was maidened a few months ago and flew very nicely. I've now got a Mega 16/15/2, 4.1x4.1, and a 60A ESC to drop in. I'm expecting 150mph as a conservative number with that setup, but it'll depend on how well my packs are holding up.

**** EDIT 1-4-2013 ****
A few days ago, after (I think) three excellent flights with the Mega setup, I wrecked this one by inadvertently activating the Delta Wing mix on my transmitter while navigating to its model memory slot. Went through a couple trees and then the ground. Its replacement has been on the bench for some time now...

- T-tail Slipso -

Previous Slipso iteration. I liked the T-tail for its looks but it was really inconvenient to build. This one was destroyed on its second flight due to a bad launch (me). Same power system as the one above, but this one had a ~10mm thick foam wing.

- Depron pylon racer -

This was the second version of a quick afternoon scratchbuild project. It had about eight or ten nice flights on it over the winter but it failed in summer air. Couldn't get enough thrust for it to be fun. Dopplered at 115mph with a HobbyKing heli motor sucking about 550W or so.

- Depron pylon racer -

First version of the green one above. Bad CG and too much elevator throw killed it in its first ten seconds.

- "Chinchilla" pylon racer -

For a time I had a running joke where I named all my planes after various types of rodents. This was the first Slipso-type plane I built that flew reasonably well. Did something like 120-130mph on its maiden until the wing shattered in flight (got a video). Used an old 3S pack and a cheap HobbyKing inrunner.

- "Squirrel" pylon racer -

Slightly bigger than a Speed 400 size racer, this one was the second balsa pylon plane I built and was intended to have a large heli motor mounted inside the nose. It never flew too great and the lack of motor cooling was a problem.

I don't know if I have pics of any others....
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Last edited by C₄H₁₀; Jan 04, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts