HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:51 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
Build Log
DP Whip Bulid

Well, one lucky dude managed to get his hands on a new Daryl Perkins Whip, the fuse and wings anyway. He asked me to build it for him. So if anyone is interested in a build thread here it is.

The Whip is my all time favorite 60 inch sloper, I had 2 back in the day, I built one and actually managed to buy one off DP himself after I saw him Sling shot launching it at Visalia one year with a gigantic bungee.

I'm building this one as if it was mine, I wish it was! LOL
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
I started with the Tips, and went overboard with some carbon. We are keeping the whole thing natural with no paint, so it makes sense.

These tips are not bagged or anything. I shaped the balsa and used some 3m 77 to hold the carbon on. Then loads of resin and lots of sanding and buffing.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:56 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
Next was wing servos, we got D09's on the tips and 95's for flaps. Pretty standard stuff here. Cramming all the wire in the wings was a major pain in the arse.

The servos are not mounted at this point just placed in the pockets so I could get the wiring done and join the tips.

I cut off the skins as clean as possible, I will save these and use them for servo covers.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
DP says to use glass to join the tips and center panel, so carbon has to be better right? He calls for class and micro balloons and lots of sanding, well I'm not doing that so carbon it is.

I used a handy little jig from a Predator 2 DLG kit to press the carbon on the joints, came out almost as good as bagging it. Just needs a touch of clean up work.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:05 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
On to the Vtails. Wish I had foam core tails, but staying true to the original kit we went with 3/16 balsa tails. I cut them out and did a bit of sanding to get a good foil shape.

They will be bagged with carbon, and a live kevlar hinge. Pretty standard. Also the servo tray is balsa bagged with glass on the bottom and carbon on top. I will go back in and install some hardwood blocks on the bottom for the servo screws and ballast compartment screw.

Speaking of ballast, my customer wanted a ballast tube which is not called for in the kit. I just used 3/4 dowel wrapped in heat shrink, then some glass and carbon, and more heat shrink. It will produce a pretty nice carbon tube that's about a perfect fit for his ballast slugs.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
Bagger up!
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:09 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
Here is the ballast tube curing
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
378 Posts
Great thread. I have a Whip in the shop I started last year I need to get finished up. I bought it from DP when he was in Santa Rosa in the early 90s.
Nice tips. I might cut mine off and do that too. Try Saran wrap held in place with tape stretched tight for a quick and dirty bag job. Works great.
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:29 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
Since the Tails are in the bag, I went ahead and mounted the wing.

Got my center line and bolt placement market. The wing is a really good fit to the fuse so all I did was hold the parts together and drilled through both. Used some 1/8 light ply and blind nuts. These were barely tacked in place with a drop of CA.

This whip has hardwood dowels in the wing where the bolts go, pretty handy, no crushed foam.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
Next I waxed the hell out of the wing bolts.

The wing and fuse are mated, I was really careful not to break the CA holding the ply wing blocks in the fuse. Once the bolts are almost tight I did break the CA joint on purpose. I left a little slop in the fuse holes, so at this point I tightened and aligned everything as I went. Once I was happy with the fit, I smothered the blind nuts, ply, bolts with thickened epoxy.

Once it is all cured it will be a perfect fit.

I just put the canopy and wing cover on for kicks.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:17 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,226 Posts
Lookin' great...love the carbon.

Dale
he4gott is offline Find More Posts by he4gott
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:48 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,059 Posts
+1 for natural CF

Subscribed
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:54 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,818 Posts
Very cool.

I'd love to see/hear more about this jig for pressing the cloth tape on the join.
Hamburglar is offline Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:54 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,008 Posts
Clean build so far.
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:58 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
Very cool.

I'd love to see/hear more about this jig for pressing the cloth tape on the join.
Here you go Jordan,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002174

Dale
he4gott is offline Find More Posts by he4gott