HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Some experimenting with false pegs. The bulwark will receive several more coats of primer and paint before its through so they won't be so defined when finished.

Inner bulwark peg detail

Only a test to see what it would look like for now.

Tim
TBowman is online now Find More Posts by TBowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Tim, what are you using for scoring the plank lines on the hull? My X-acto knife worked well on the bulwarks, but I don't think it would work as well for the fiberglass hull. Also, are you going to score simulated copper plates?
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:12 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,639 Posts
I plan to use peel-n-stick out-door aluminum duct tape on Macedonian and paint it with copper paint. A roll of the tape is about $20-25 at those hardware warehouse places and more than enough to cover a hull our size.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
IF you plan to sail the model, note that the model takes a lot of abuse in transporting, handling, launch/retrieval, weathering, etc. The lower hull especially takes a beating from beaching, sliding on the launch cart, rubbing against a tender boat, etc.
I don't recommend taping the hull. I think that long immersion times and the above noted conditions will cause the tape to eventually fail.
At this scale, only light scoring is enough to simulate coppering.

Another note on finish. I used Krylon spray paint on almost all surfaces, sometimes using two to three colors to get a more realistic dimensional and weathered effect. But I understand that Krylon has been reformulated because of more strict regulations on volatile emissions. I think the original Krylon formulation paint is available commercially through dealers like Fastenal.
The paint on Syren has held up exceptionally well over time and through some pretty tough sailing. I have used Rustoleum brand on other projects and it takes longer to dry/cure and is nit nearly as tough as Krylon. Just my experience.

It's a real pleasure to read about these new SC&H builds.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Andrew

I used a scribing tool for the planking. I'll use it on the hull's exterior as well.

Still have to clean them all up between now and installation. For the copper plating, I was thinking I would use paint only. Copper base and then attempt some slight weathering and faint plate-line indications using a mask/template and airbrush. Only a theory at the moment as I'll focus on that when I get there.

Tim
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Aug 2005
143 Posts
Pure copper tape is availble do a search for it online. It can also be bought with out adhesive so it can be epoxied on . I used it on one of my ships and it came out great.
tc432 is offline Find More Posts by tc432
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
I used copper tape on the hull of my HMS Beagle. It worked pretty well. But given the more rigorous battering these 70+ pound boats are likely to take I think I'll be sticking to painting for my Theresa Marie.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Definitely agree with Andrew....hull takes a lot of abuse when sailed....can't imagine tape holding up with any adhesive used.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hello shipmates

Today was a great day! I went up to the city early this morning to the San Francisco Model Yacht Club display of models, including HMS Surprise and it's new owner Gary. When we arrived, Gary was carefully rigging the ship. It was a pleasure meeting him and as Ray has said already, Surprise is in VERY good hands. I look forward to sailing Scorpion and Surprise together one day in the not so distant future. : )

Seeing the ship up close really lit a fire under me to get working on the brig. Thank you Gary for the invite, hospitality and letting me help out with Surprise(even if it was a tiny bit) I enjoyed it. Surprise was a definite crowd pleaser and the only square-rigged ship on display.

Some photos from today.

the club house

HMS Surprise...even more impressive in person

the crowd gathers

even the locals are excited

Some of the other models on display

happy sailing
Tim

Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
wow!!!
yancovitch is online now Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
I agree, WOW!

Really, Wow. Tim, it really was great meeting you today. Seeing your photos makes me wish I was there. Oh wait, I was but didn't get the photos you got. Thanks for posting these so quick. I got home and pow, you had already posted. Your way ahead of our club.

I will keep looking here to see how your doing. If I can do, say, offer anything just let me know. Please let me buy you a cup of coffee soon so I may see your shipyard.

Gary.
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi everyone

I'm sort of all over the place on this build but decided to do something I had intended to do all along. Scorpion's 6 pounders. I don't consider myself an expert on armaments of this period but I knew I wanted the crest on my long guns. So, using the Armstrong pattern, I drew these. Seems feasible a Brig built in 1803 could have had them installed?

These will be in the first gun port and possibly as the stern chasers. I'll do the carriages next. I do plan on having working carronades on this model but won't be starting on those until the build is farther along.

more soon
Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Oct 01, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
The 6 pounder carriages

The small detail parts, tackle hardware will be added after the parts are finished and painted. I will likely do the carronade carriages as well.

Tim
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Good looking art work. Did you draw these up?

Very talented use of your computer.

Gary
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Gary

Thanks. Yes I drew them. Will be doing some other parts for the brig as well.

tim