SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi Dan

The 5mm is virtually "see-through" but entirely up to you. It does drape slightly more then the 8mm but for me transparency is too much.

comparison of 16mm and 5mm. Even the 8mm is almost too much "see-through" for me.

Just my 2 cents. Its inexpensive enough to experiment with though. Maybe cutting some flag-size samples and stringing them up outside would tell the story.

tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,389 Posts
Good pics - really show the issue with too thin a material.
The flags from SC&H seemed thick and stiff when new, but after a bit of wind-beating, they hang and flutter really well.
Seems the 16mm would be the ticket.
Thank you.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Baby steps.

With work being so busy this past month, I have not had a chance to do much. However, after some thought and checking plans, I repositioned the foremast and main mast very slightly and drilled the initial holes. These will be opened up carefully with a dremel to ensure a good fit. I will also be making base collars for both masts. Still need to plot out the brace holes and all the halyard fittings etc.

Another seemingly small step but a big one for me. LOL

tim
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Opened up the holes for a nice fit. Will start work on servo mounts and internal electronics, as well as the mast mounts. Hoping to be able to have semi-fixed masts, meaning the can be decommissioned if needed but not for everyday transport. Need to tack some final measurements of just how tall this will be when fully rigged and how I can design the top masts to be removable if needed as a minimum. Would like to have fairly prototypical standing rigging but yet to see if that can be achieved.

tim
Last edited by TBowman; Mar 02, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:42 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
just offering. Do you need any closeup photos from Surprise for ideas?
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,389 Posts
Tim,
Keeping fairly prototypical rigging on removeable topmasts is pretty easy.

I see your foremast angle seems to match the main. I believe the prototype brigs had a more vertical foremast. May want to check it out.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:35 AM
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
88 Posts
Tim,
I see from the photo that you have mounted the servos in a "regular", stationary way. I am fitting the new sliding servos on Kruzenshtern now, and I am becoming bigger and bigger fan. They do work as advertised. So far this is the easiest and the cleanest way to control sails I know. It is, probably, easiest to install it at this stage of your build, when the inside of the hull is more accessible.
Amaising detail on your hull, by the way. I love all the modifications and rapid prototyping parts.

Alex
yalex is offline Find More Posts by yalex
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi Gary

Thanks for the kind offer. May take you up on that farther down the road.

Thanks Dan...They are just sitting in place and I wrongly assumed the angle of the foremast while trying to get it to look halfway decent for a photo. Will make sure the angles are all correct and double checked before I mount the stepping base into position.

Thanks Alex. Yes the servos remain where I left them months ago. I will be designing some inserts that will be mounted before the deck is glued on, including one that allows for some tensioned fore and aft movement. Your servo/electronic assembly is amazing!

I'm not sure it's necessary but I will also be installing a bilge pump. I know Dan has done this on his. More of a "peace of mind" thing for me I guess.

more soon
Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Mar 03, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 12:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi everyone

Some fun with rendering bronze 9 pounders. : ) Th only bronze guns I actually plan on doing are some prize, Spanish or French guns of the Captain's/Commander's.

Just came out of an endless 2 months buried in work. Looking forward to getting the servo mounts done now and on with the build.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter

Tim
Old Apr 06, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
the heck.....your cannon went off and shattered my monitor screen, just missed me, and went through the window behind me....glad you had it angled and not facing the center of the screen, or you probably would never know about it.......
great art work...you should model aircraft for fsx flight simulator
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
you should model aircraft for fsx flight simulator
Hi Vic,

Thanks. I'll stick with flying them. : )

all the best
Tim
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi everyone

A perfect , 80+ degree weekend here to get back to the project.

Starting to plan the interior layout of the basic components and am wondering about weight distribution. I know Dan moved his battery to the stern and I plan on making a mount for it approximately where it is in the photos. I'm assuming it's better, the lower it is in the hull. Also have purchased the bilge pump as a "peace of mind" component and I will pipe it through one of the stern scupper's exit holes.

The servos are in the stock mounts for position only. Will be starting on the new mounts for those today or tomorrow.

Proposed, basic layout

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions on this step.

Tim
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:52 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,603 Posts
Ray had suggested laying the battery flat when I posted a pic of it standing like yours. I found it to be a good suggestion. You, of course have to consider your access and space limitations.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Thanks Jerry,

Unfortunately, because the hull shape on mine, if I lay it flat, it won't be nice and low to the keel as yours is. Not sure this is good or bad or indifferent. Lots of options I guess. Was going to strap it down but if velcro is enough to hold it, I like that option. Will play around with various mounts and positioning of the battery.

Tim
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:28 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,343 Posts
Tim from what i`ve seen on all my models so far is that also the thrust we need to expect from the sails is much greater in proprtion to the displacement/buoyancy in the bows as compared to the full size ship, thus when running and even on a beat in strong winds the bow gets pressed down much further than it would have been in the real ship (well they would have had more options with sail furling etc..)
I started to trim my boats a bit by the stern to counter that tendency and it has helped some, so my recommendation is when you go for actual trimming aim for a bit by the stern rather than perfect waterline
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber