SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Tim, here's an idea...
Don't actually build your kit....create a virtual build and finished ship sailing!
someone told me to contact hollywood where they could use my ship in the movies....i laughed, cause it's obvious the virtual world is starting to create things more real than the real world....in this world, we builders are like the dinosaurs....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Vic, dinosaurs? Hardly.

The thing I have learned in my short time modeling is that every builder has their comfort zones. Wood-working, machining, CAD etc. Each different paths to a finished model.

Work like Lucc's and yours, and many others, is mind-boggling to me( and I know others).

Some very minor work as I wait for the headrails and catheads. There was a mix-up with the parts so I didn't get them before the weekend. : (. Decided to make the chess trees with fixed blocks and also started on the rudder tube and lower stern. Scribed it and stared cleaning up the tube. Sanded down the entire lower hull as well. Alcos starting to think about the stern detailing.

Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
very nice i think i need to primer mine it makes such a difference
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Meatbomber, Yes....please start on your 1:24th scale Snake!! : )

Headrails and catheads arrived. Loosely test fitted the parts. Will try and get them installed this weekend. Also trying to figure out what to do on the stern.

Headrails

Catheads

loosely fitted

Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Nov 29, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:12 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Snazzy. How are you going to secure them to the hull and stem? I ended up using 7mm brass screws for the headrails.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Andrew

Parts will be fasted as well as bonded. I wasn't sure where I wanted the fasteners without the parts in hand, so I will work that out when I am mounting the rails. Will use small counted sunk screws in key locations and then conceal them when finishing the parts. Started working it out tonight and hope to continue tomorrow.

Happy building
Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:34 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
What kind of material is this?

Thanks!
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi disabled

The material is very much like an injection-molded ABS. It sands and finishes nicely and has a good high-impact rating. I've tried several types of material over the years and this one is my 'go-to' favorite for the parts I create for my models.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was hoping to respond when I had more progress to post but work has been crazy.More on Scorpion this weekend.

Tim
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
gads...this takes modeling to a whole new level.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:03 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBowman View Post
Hi disabled

The material is very much like an injection-molded ABS. It sands and finishes nicely and has a good high-impact rating. I've tried several types of material over the years and this one is my 'go-to' favorite for the parts I create for my models.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was hoping to respond when I had more progress to post but work has been crazy.More on Scorpion this weekend.

Tim
Thank you very much for these vital informations, Tim!

Are you producing these parts yourself,
or are they serial produced and provided by SC&H as original parts of your kit?
Just like the cannons?

Sorry for all these questions,
but Im still looking for the best/simplest way to produce these parts
as one-offs for my own super-scale 1/16 model.

Disabled
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi disabled

I'm producing many of the parts. The parts supplied with the kit are excellent but one of my faults is the desire for accuracy. The rails and some other details are slightly different then the kit-supplied ones. The guns are also something I wanted highly detailed and accurate to British patterns between 1790 and 1815. Also, because I was making mine fire and planned on making new assemblies, it was a reason to redraw the barrel patterns for both carronades and 6 pounders and their carriages.

If you were to use this method as a way to create a master pattern for your guns and then then use that to simply cast as many as you need for your ship, it would probably work. Otherwise, it's an expensive way to go.

More progress on the head rails. Still rough and will be cleaned up after the hawse holes and bolsters are added as well as the gammoning hole and two shroud holes below the lower rail. Will also detail out the center area between the rails. Happy with the results of the new parts.

startboard side

also started thinking about how the stern will be detailed. Long way to go but I will likely keep it a fairly simple, no frills, brig of war. Planing on a larger, outer framing that extends past the ships side and a simple detail band across the bottom with the ship's name. The gun ports will also have doors.

more on the stern soon.

Tim
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Some basic versions to start

Tim
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Looking good Tim, especially the gun port lids. Small transom, isn't it? Any thoughts on making a boat on davits like Dan did?

I plan to raise my transom by about an inch so she'll have a six foot tall Captain's quarters. No ducking for the Theresa Maries.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:08 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
I think The ports in teh stern of the Cruizers where rather not used for chase ports as there would be no room to work a gun there and steer the ship at teh same time. I just can`t see anyone putting a gun where you need room to swing the tiller. i think they serverd more as ways to hand out cables in the rear for a tow maybe and or a kedg anchor cable.
I think that there are most probably lids in these ports tho i doubt they where hinged ports but rather plug type that would be taken out and stowed when not in use. I`d have to look up what perejus says in teh Brig irene book, i think he makes mention of this but i can`t remember for sure.

BUT your transom art is awesome
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Chase guns

Great transom drawings. OK, I'm planning a future trip to SF with Syren to sail with Scorpion, Surprise (and TMarie if we can get Indy Andrew to go, too.)

mbomber - see pics - if some HMS something-or-other were gaining on my stern, I'd be moving a gun into place to keep them at bay. There seems to be plenty of room. Tiller could be handled around the gun.
Pic shows a carronade. I think long gun would fit, too.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL