SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
not to mention...the photography is so well done........
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:29 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
not to mention...the photography is so well done........
I´m fascinated too.

What I wanted to ask:
Whats the size/height/length of the guns and ´panzerfaust´?
Thanks for any informations!
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi disabled

Here's basic dimensions from the parts I drew, shown assembled. No hardware is shown in the drawing.

kind regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Andrew,

Here's a 1:6 scale Panzerschreck (not to be confused with Panzerfaust) I repainted and weathered awhile back. Meant to be a Normandy veteran piece.

tim
Last edited by TBowman; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Tim

For a second I thought you were already custom building your own masts and fighting tops. Impressive work being done at the Bowman Armory.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:00 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Very cool, Tim!

Thank you very much!
Do you maybe also have drawings like these for the bigger cannons -
12, 18 and 24 pounders?
I´ve been searching for a while now and only get more confused -
sizes, heigths and lengths of gunbarrels are different in different books -...
Also the distances between gunports are different -...

And do you know this site?
http://www.pilipili-miniatures.com/

Look, what I just received:
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disabled View Post
Do you maybe also have drawings like these for the bigger cannons -12, 18 and 24 pounders?
:
HI disabled,

I do plan on drawing up 9 and 18 pounder cannons and their carriages.

18 pound cannon (8')barrel length in 1:24 scale is 101.6mm, Largest Diameter at Breech is 21mm

9 pound cannon(7'6") barrel length in 1:24 scale is 95.25mm, Largest Diameter at Breech is 16.25mm

9 pound cannon(7') barrel length in 1:24 scale is 89mm, Largest Diameter at Breech is 16.25mm

Barrel pattern on all three are just like the one I already made, only on steroids.

Your pirate ship being from an earlier time, the guns may have been different. Nice figure.

best regards
Tim
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Guns

disabled,
There were likely as many variations of barrel dimensions as there were foundries and countries. I've read that many ships of all nations were armed with guns captured from other ships, or bought in various ports around teh world, so it was possible even on a single ship there might have been a variety of guns.
An interesting tidbit I also read is that English iron ore had nickle (I think) or other "contaminants" that made their gun barrels stronger than those of the Spanish, Danes, etc. This difference wasn't recognized at the time, but likely affected the design dimensions of British guns.
So the different dimensions you see in various references are likley accurate based on the particular barrel referenced.
DanL is online now Find More Posts by DanL
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
OK, I know this was discussed and I read over Andrew's post several times, so sorry for asking this question.

When gluing the deck hatch frames to both deck parts, is there a reason I can't use Marine Epoxy for both parts (well and seal)? Don't want to do this twice.

Or why not JB Kwik-weld on both parts?

Thanks for any help.
tim
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Hey Tim,
Since alignment is so critical, a good first step is to mount the pieces using small
screws as alignment guides and to hold the parts exactly in place as the adhesive sets.
Before gluing, check alignment and fit.
Then glue and rescrew to hold parts in place.
( I used masking tape, but it was a sloppy approach).
For adhesive, JB Quick would be fine, but lately I've been using polyurethane construction sealant on projects. It's rated for complete submersion, remains slightly flexible when cured, and is tenacious as heck. Sticks to almost everything. I've had epoxy and JB come loose from some surfaces when flexed - that's why I abrade or drill perf's. in any non-porous surfaces to be bonded.
I've only seen the polyurethane in caulking tubes, but its cheap and will keep well if the tube is sealed after use.
Takes a long time to set between non-porous surfaces, so likely good for only small area/narrow path bonding.
Hope this helps.
A note: I used a very thin strip of closed cell foam around the edge of the hatch.
Then mounted attachment tabs and use screws to hold down the hatch. Screws are disguised under buckets.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...097D67&first=1
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Thank you (as always) Dan.

Hope to get the deck ready. Servo mounting holes have been inserted into the blocks. Two drum servos and one kit-supplied servo in the middle position. Will likely follow your lead and design some brackets/guides to mount for the braces. Much more thought needed on this but I am starting to think about it. : )

Should have the headrail and catheads here this coming week. Looking forward to working on that, and then the stern transom detailing.

tim
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Tim,
Before you mount the drum servos, figure out your slack compensation. You may want to mount the servos sideways on a pivot arm. Plenty of room for that approach and possibly the simplest way to go for compensation.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,686 Posts
I wish you were working in 1:36 - I could use a nice set of 18 pounders and carronades
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Out of curiosity Tim, do you plan to add any swivel guns to your model?
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Guys

Dan, I'll definitely take a hard look at the servo layout before anything is bonded in place. Could the two drum servos be mounted so they can travel for and aft in a track-like mount instead of pivoting? Springs would mount similar as you have shown but more of a linear layout?

Jerry, once I have the guns drawn, it wouldn't be difficult to scale them down for you and produce some masters for you to mold and cast. Just a thought.

Andrew, Swivel guns have definitely crossed my mind and i have been filling a reference folder with images. Once I settle on a size and style I like, I'll draw them up too.

all the best
Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM.