HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Build Log
HMS Scorpion (Cruiser class Brig of War)

Hi everyone

I know these kits have been covered extensively under Dan's/Paratrooper's and others excellent thread but thought I'd start one for this project. I've been busy with my other hobby for the past many years but decided to take the leap and build something from my other love....17/18th century tall ships of war.

Settled on the model from SC&H for it's size and the endless detailing possibilities that can be added to the existing, excellent RC model Philip developed. might be a late comer but I'm looking forward to this project for a change of pace from my other hobby of large scale, German WWII armor.

Model is picked up from Philip's shop

Everything is nicely packed and organized

6mm airsoft pellets are close to 32 pounder cannon balls. slightly small.

some of the projects from my usual hobby

Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Last edited by TBowman; Sep 10, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,397 Posts
Tim,
Welcome! I'm really looking fwd to following your build. As you said, it's a great kit with a great hull - strong and sails perfectly!
Funny, but I've done R/C tanks, too. 1/16 scale Tamiya Tiger, KT and a Pershing
still in the box. Is yours 1/8 scale?

Enjoy the build!
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi Dan

Thanks for the nice welcome. Hope I can live up to what's already been posted on these models.

The tanks are 1:6th scale

kind regards
Tim
thepanzertrap.com
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Welcome aboard Tim. I'll be watching your build as well. My favorite line from your post: "Model is picked up from Philip's shop." Lucky you -- no shipping charge!

What hull number did you get? I forget what number the last person here to get one received.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi Andrew

Thank you for the welcome. When I first went to the SC&H's web site it was because a friend in the UK said..."I think they are in your area". Turns out, only 20 minutes away. Philip was kind enough to arrange a tour of the shop so I could see the ships there and ask any questions I had. The Surprise was very tempting. My hull is #33.

While I waited impatiently for the email from Philip saying it was ready, I spent my time researching the class and narrowing down which ship I would try and represent.

Also, thanks to Jerry Todd and his inspirational build, I started on a bigger project that I may or may not ever finish. A Lively class frigate. I always like the look of those and was happy to see his. Only goofing around at the moment and trying to get something into the computer to start playing around with.

HMS Spartan

With the Brig here, I will mostly focus on that.

best regards
Tim
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:09 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,608 Posts
I'll be following this one.

By the way, fantastic armor you've got. That Opel Blitz has my undivided attention at the moment as I watch the slide show.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:56 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,348 Posts
yea aonther SC&H Build !! Best of luck already i`ll be watching this closely!
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Thanks hermill and meatbomber. I've been reading the assembly instructions and looking at all the parts to try and figure out where to start.. Hope to begin work on the hull this weekend.

I have enjoyed everyones posts on these ships for some times and thank you all for the invaluable posts that will be so helpful during this build. Very much appreciated. Your finished models are all outstanding.

Best regards
Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Aug 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi everyone

Started on the bulwarks today. First priority is getting the gun ports cut out of the hull!! ha ha So figured I'd start here. Will scribe the planking lines and locate the gun ring locations prior to bonding them in place. Once the rear, top and bottom edges are sanded down a bit, I'll dry fit them and locate the gun ports and oar openings on the fiberglass hull for roughing them out.

Marked bulwarks

Positioning the servo blocks and mast step blocks.

Nice full size plan drawings.

More soon
Tim
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,397 Posts
Tim,
You are obviously (from your posts so far and from your armor work) a superb and planful craftsman.
So it's with some temerity that I offer any suggestions....
Your inclusion of sweep ports indicates a super build coming. What balance of scale detail and sailing operability are you shooting for? If both are high priorities, I'm sure you can achieve that.
A suggestion at this point,,,,the differential S to P brace tension issue is probably best dealt with under deck. I've tried a variety of rigging approaches (trolleying blocks, etc) that were late/post construction fixes. At this stage, you can consider a variety of options. My best thought to date(considering many sources....Jerry T, Jpop, Brooks and others) is mounting drum servos to laterally pivot to compensate for the brace differential. Just one approach, but whatever appraoch you choose, now may be the time to address that detail of the operational aspect of the build.
Humbly offered,
Dan
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi Dan

Thank you for the nice words and I really appreciate you taking the time to post to share the extensive experience you have with these models. I am completely in the dark when it comes to the "RC" functions of these ship models but have given much thought to the level of detail I would like to try and achieve. I understand there may need to be some compromises (scale vs. functionality etc) and do intend to sail it.

The good news is that there is a lot of time to think about the set up under the deck before I get to glueing it on. Once I get closer to that point, I will explore the posts on your threads and try and decide then. I have seen them but will give them a good reading when I get to that bridge. Also need to re-look at how you set up your tiller and control of the rudder as I will not have the quarter deck on mine either. It will be an open deck. Sure does't seem to be much room under the deck at the rudder post for a control horn. More fun stuff to figure out. : )

Thanks again for any and all input. It is much needed and appreciated.

Kindest regards
Tim
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBowman View Post

Sure does't seem to be much room under the deck at the rudder post for a control horn. More fun stuff to figure out. : )
Tim,
Does the prototype Scorpion have an above deck tiller, or a wheel rigged to that tiller? If so, you need no below deck control horn. Simply rig true to the prototype, with disguised control lines directly from the servo to the tiller.
Requires very small holes in the deck, but that minor potential leakage point is insignificant.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,631 Posts
Welcome aboard Tim - glad to see you made it!

Great photos of the kit - it was interesting to see how it was packaged. Did the keel come packaged separately?

The carronade isn't too bad, but the 9 pounder's is just plain poor.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Thank you Dan...Yes, the tiller is like you have it on your model. I'll take a look at your posts describing this.

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the nice welcome. : )

Normally, the keel is packed in a wooden crate for shipping as seen in other posts on the kits. Since I was able to pick it up, there was no need for the crate. It is one heavy piece of metal!

kind regards
Tim
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Hi shipmates

Haven't been able to do much recently but hope to make some good progress this weekend.

The remaining oar openings are roughed out. The planking will be scribed next and the bulwarks will be dry-fitted to the hull.

more soon (hopefully)
Tim