SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Mike_Then, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,858 Posts
Rant
I just want to be left alone... is that too much to ask?

When I go to Sam's club - especially on a Saturday - I have to weave a very careful path through the store to avoid DirecTV salesmen, insurance pitchmen, and Verizon representatives. They all babble about their latest offers while I run past them and avoid eye contact.

I just want to go in the store, buy my items, and be left alone.

I had to get gas yesterday. As I pulled into the station, I saw a table near the front door of the store with a banner hanging below it. There was a nicely-dressed young man behind it so I knew what that was... he was selling something. Due to the wonderful invention of pay-at-the-pump, I wouldn't have to go into the store and pay for my gas, which means I should be safe. Nevertheless, I drove to the pump farthest from him and hoped he wouldn't see me. Sure enough, as I was filling my tank, I saw him walk over to someone else at another pump island and I started nervously watching the gallon counter go up as slowly as I've ever seen it. When the tank was half-full, someone cheerfully popped out from behind the pump and immediately launched into his pitch. Damn, there's two of them. Didn't see him the first time! He explained this new fantastic product while demonstrating it on my car. He also excitedly told me it would last for 30 days AND if I bought one today, I would get another one for free!! I politely thanked him and said I'm not interested... my vehicle is lucky if it gets washed twice a year. I don't have the time or the desire to do it any more than that, if at all. He smiled and left.

I just want to pump gas, and be left alone.

It's bad enough I have to endure commecials on TV, but thanks to the wonderful invention of DVRs, that has been minimized. But it seems that I can't even watch a 2-minute news clip on a website without being bombarded by ads, commercials, etc. Even YouTube videos are getting peppered with ads.

I just want to watch a video online, and be left alone.

Is that too much to ask in the day and age? Am I wrong in wanting to go about my day and be left alone? I'm a pretty social guy, and quite outgoing at that. But I'd really like to just be left alone when performing simple daily tasks, such as pumping gas or grocery shopping.

Rant over. Just wanted to vent a bit. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
57 Posts
LMFAO!!!!! Amen brother. You know I don't have any issues with them but then there's the scouts and the sports teams ambushing people. Scammers trying to get people to give them cash for gift cards checks and money orders. Then the people doing product demo's. It go's on and on. Anymore it's all about the dollar no matter when or how.
Texair is offline Find More Posts by Texair
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Wear a ski mask and scream at them about how you're not going back to prison.

I really, really, really hate it when salespeople or activists come to my DOOR. That's just offensive to me; people should be able to live in their own homes without being bothered by some idiot who wants money for some inane cause. I'm sitting there peacefully on RCG helping some noob with their power system and then there's a knock on the door and it's some brainless robot who's collecting money for an environmental nonprofit.

No. You are an idiot. Coyotes are not people too. They are vermin and should be shot if the opportunity arises.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Oh, and you can block the YouTube ads with some of the free adblock software out there. It works great with Firefox on my desktop, but I use Chrome on my laptop and had to download this neat extension thing.

No YouTube ads here
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:58 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
"No spik inglis" "At my age, what the hell would I use that for?" "Sorry, got one already." Just some of my stock answers, depending on my mood...

However, I always get a snicker when a clerk asks me "Can I help you?" I always reply, "No thanks, I'm helpless..." They leave me alone after that...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:53 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Ghostery added to Firefox has made my 'net life pretty much advertisement free, only adverts on Tudou are not blocked.

I also hate door to door salesmen etc, but these days I have a new tactic. I'll play along a little with their pitch, then tell them that I own a business that offers exactly what they have, only at a better price, laugh at their 'derisory offer' and make them feel rubbished. I figured it's better to get a laugh out of them than get wound up and annoyed.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:18 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Wear a ski mask and scream at them about how you're not going back to prison.
I really, really, really hate it when salespeople or activists come to my DOOR. That's just offensive to me; people should be able to live in their own homes without being bothered by some idiot who wants money for some inane cause. I'm sitting there peacefully on RCG helping some noob with their power system and then there's a knock on the door and it's some brainless robot who's collecting money for an environmental nonprofit.

No. You are an idiot. Coyotes are not people too. They are vermin and should be shot if the opportunity arises.
That's hilarious, and a great idea. I may have to try that.

And thanks for the suggestions about blocking ads on YouTube videos. Didn't even think of trying to find a browser plugin for that.

We don't get bothered by solicitors much anymore, and when we do, it's amazing that almost all of them ignore the large "NO SOLICITORS!! THIS MEANS YOU!" sign clearly posted on my front door.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:16 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
"No spik inglis" "At my age, what the hell would I use that for?" "Sorry, got one already." Just some of my stock answers, depending on my mood...

However, I always get a snicker when a clerk asks me "Can I help you?" I always reply, "No thanks, I'm helpless..." They leave me alone after that...
OH. Totally using the 2nd one!
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Oh, and you can block the YouTube ads with some of the free adblock software out there. It works great with Firefox on my desktop, but I use Chrome on my laptop and had to download this neat extension thing.

No YouTube ads here
It's called "AdBlock". Works great for me as well.

http://adblockplus.org/en/
microflitedude is online now Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:17 PM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
Not that I'm defending them, but when you buy your cheap gas at Sam's, this is how you pay for the cheap gas. You have to be interrupted by mindless salespeople. Same thing on television, you pay for the programming through being bombarded by commercials. The buses the run around your city? You get cheaper bus fare by looking at the billboards on them. I could go on and on but this is how our culture works now. You pay for almost everything today by having to be bombarded by an insane amount of commercial propaganda. Its the new human experience.
MajorMal is offline Find More Posts by MajorMal
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Well jeez, if that's all it takes then can I just get paid cash for staring at ads all day? I'm happy to work long hours and weekends if the pay is good
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:26 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Well jeez, if that's all it takes then can I just get paid cash for staring at ads all day? I'm happy to work long hours and weekends if the pay is good
There is talk of getting paid a couple pennies for liking FB pages...
microflitedude is online now Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Nah. I want $30 an hour to be bombarded with ads. Surely there's a market for my talent?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microflitedude View Post
There is talk of getting paid a couple pennies for liking FB pages...
Yeah I heard that too. Probably trying to dig their stock out of the pothole its currently in but you know what's wrong with that system? Some hacker will make some software to make hundreds of fb profiles that auto-like stuff, and its all linked to paypal. Boom! And you are rich.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:27 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
A bit off topic here but, my mother in law gets terribly embarrassed when the Walmart cashier forgets to disable the security feature on a package and the alarm goes off near the exit. She is worried someone 350 miles from her home will see her and think she is stealing. Me, I can't wait for that alarm to go off and I'll drop the package, throw up my hands and yell, "DON"T SHOOT!" I'm hoping this happens when she is here visiting and right there with us.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S