SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:51 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Got to maiden a Devil today! 4s 2200 all the way back with the battery cover trimmed.

Fun Flyer!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Last edited by TripleW; Jan 18, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:20 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Got to maiden a Devil today! 4s 2200 all the back with the battery cover trimmed.

Fun Flyer!
Welcome to the Devil club!

It is a fun plane. Can't wait to get my new one.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:08 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
New Devil Owner

Hey everyone! Sounds like this is a great and fun plane to fly! Just bought this one and a couple 4s 2200 zippy compact batteries. Anything I should be aware of when building this thing? Haven't had the best luck with the dynam stuff. I have their P-51 and never fly it, some sort of vibration I can't get rid of. Anyway, for the price I couldn't pass this one up. This will be my second 3D plane, the first was a scratchbuilt RCPowers which turned out to be my favorite plane to fly!! I figured this would be a logical next step. My next 3D will be a balsa from precision aerobatics called "addiction" . That's one serious 3D plane!

Anyway any suggestions or tips on this build would be greatly appreciated! Plane should be here Monday! ! Woooo hooooo!!
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:46 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Yee Haw...

Quote:
Got to maiden a Devil today! 4s 2200 all the way back with the battery cover trimmed.

Fun Flyer!
...I'll bet you were grinning from ear to ear...

TripleW,
Any initial flight observations you'd like to share? I'm a converted Dynam Peaks owner (by choice & circumstance...) & have yet to fly this lil' Devil but I'm hoping to this weekend...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:39 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Should be Quick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Hey everyone! Sounds like this is a great and fun plane to fly! Just bought this one and a couple 4s 2200 zippy compact batteries. Anything I should be aware of when building this thing? Haven't had the best luck with the dynam stuff. I have their P-51 and never fly it, some sort of vibration I can't get rid of. Anyway, for the price I couldn't pass this one up. This will be my second 3D plane, the first was a scratchbuilt RCPowers which turned out to be my favorite plane to fly!! I figured this would be a logical next step. My next 3D will be a balsa from precision aerobatics called "addiction" . That's one serious 3D plane!

Anyway any suggestions or tips on this build would be greatly appreciated! Plane should be here Monday! ! Woooo hooooo!!
...& straightforward if you've messed around with inexpensive foamies before...

chuckman,
Welcome to the 'Devil Made Me Do It' 3D Club! She's a cool lookin' lil' Bipenista, for sure...

The Devil 3D assembly was nothing special. There are a number small fasteners in the package, sheet metal screw type specifically, IMHO & others, that aren't quite up to the task. You'll find they seem very short in length & the threads don't grab their plastic mating pieces very well. They could even strip out if you keep trying to tighten them down... Here's a youtube.com link from a guy that's been building NP products for a while now that might be of interest; maybe not so much for the content but the comments below the video:

Devil 3D Battery Hatch Vid

Jeff & I were discussing the assembly & he had some good ideas in our discussions about this ship. I wouldn't be too concerned about the wing strut hatch being the battery bay, either since the battery won't end up going in there like he mentions in his video...

Another tip is don't glue the wing strut hatch down like the manual states since you'll want to be able to get back in there to tighten up those tiny fixing screws again later on so trust me on this one. Instead, use a couple of small pieces of clear packing tape on the sides & it'll stay down for as long as you need. I learned this from (solving) problems I experienced on the Dynam Peaks model that also has two hatch covers... Make sure to test all your electronics BEFORE you install the upper wing. It's a PITA to have to get to your receiver after both wings are on. Same thing happened to me with the Peaks...

All in all it's a fairly easy assembly but do yourself a favor & get some longer screws to attach the wing struts to the fuse, for the landing gear & for the tail wheel bracket. I used some extra servo screws for the tail wheel that I had lying around in the hangar. Check the prop balance before flying her as well.... Hopefully, the foam on your ship won't be nearly as warped as mine was...

Enjoy & keep us updated with your progress...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:43 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I maidened this bird for a Club member. Set up some Low rates because he wants more of a sport flyer.
I took off with elevator on high rates cause I wanted plenty to play with. But once I trimmed out the elevator she was rock solid. The thing practically lands itself.
Really a nice bird. Some guys at the field think it might be a touch faster than the Peaks but i have no proof.

Walter
I thought I posted pics already but here ya go.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Nice Pics You Got There...

Quote:
I maidened this bird for a Club member. Set up some Low rates because he wants more of a sport flyer.
I took off with elevator on high rates cause I wanted plenty to play with. But once I trimmed out the elevator she was rock solid. The thing practically lands itself.
Really a nice bird. Some guys at the field think it might be a touch faster than the Peaks but i have no proof.

Walter
I thought I posted pics already but here ya go.
...She looks great in those action photos... Thanks for posting them. Really lookin' forward to the maiden now...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:34 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I hoped it would insire you.
Good Luck.
Walter
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:49 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Awesome, thanks RCAV8TOR! I will definitely keep those things on mind. Lookin forward to havin some fun with this baby!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:41 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Me Too...

Quote:
Awesome, thanks RCAV8TOR! I will definitely keep those things on mind. Lookin forward to havin some fun with this baby!
...+1 on having fun...

chuckman,
No worries, just sharing in the RC addiction......umm I mean...experience...

I've had the Peaks & a guy I know at the local flying field has all three, two Peaks, plus this crafty lil' Devil. The Peaks was sadly, sniff...sniff...my favorite ship & I used to fly her last in rotation & in some really windy conditions to boot. She performed beautifully & was just way too much fun to fly. But, this Devil looks like she'll be more precise since she's more of a purpose-built airframe based on the Ultimate that's really designed for aerobatics...

Can't wait to find out how she & I get along & of course what she does in the air...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:55 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Me too, ill let you guys know how the build goes. I'm sure she'll be a bit"# in the air til I get her trimmed out, then I can smack her around (in the air) til she submits!! Ha ha, sorry, couldn't resist the innuendos...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:26 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,414 Posts
Quote:

Your going to like the Devil, super fun plane!

Its more sport acro than 3D but flies like a bat out of hell when you want it to.

Use blue thread lock on all the little nuts and bolts and check out the battery mounting mod to get a more neutral CG.

My buddy just built an Addiction and has a Devil on the way

Keep us posted!
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:46 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Thanks pullup! I want to get better and be able to perform more precise 3D maneuvers so I figured for the money that this would be a good plane to learn on. If I can figure out how to do. Harrier rolls, hovers, and stuff like that, then I can graduate to the" addiction" , one of the smoothest sweetest flying planes I've ever seen!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:25 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Battery Bay Surgery...

Quote:
Anyway any suggestions or tips on this build would be greatly appreciated!
...Some more stuff to consider about altering the battery bay to get her more evenly balanced for better 3D performance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
...check out the battery mounting mod to get a more neutral CG.
Thanks to the suggestions & photos from pullup I too went ahead & put my lil' Devil under the knife......... Not to worry, though as she survived the ordeal & made a full recovery...... Hopefully, the results will be worth the effort. Should find out very soon so stay tuned...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:47 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Good evening to you all. I have flown for a couple of years now and pretty much gone the whole gamut. I have a 3DHS 46" Yak55, a 3DHS 57" Extra, and recently HAD a Extreme Flight 48" Yak54, and a Great Planes 50" Edge540. Yep, had some instances of dumb thumbs whilst doing things that maybe I shouldn't have done. I started with a Champ, S Cub, and went on from there. I tried a foam MX2 from HK and chased the gremlins until I'd had enough and gave the plane away. So now I have ordered a Devil that is due here on Monday. I sure hope it is not another gremlin infested plane. I have read every post here and see many mentions of mods/fixes with no real info on them. I have read half of the Peak thread and see the motor mount/firewall fix with ply, etc, but nothing there (yet) about a gear mod. Some here say to work on that, but what is it I should do? BTW, I am not into 3D, I like aerobatics and a smooth plane to do them with. The GP Edge was great and the Extreme Flight Yak54 was awesome. The Extra is a bit big for my new field (I have moved) but will work OK when I am more comfortable with this field. Sooooo, I am humbly asking for specific info on the mods to be done before flight. I have ordered new servos and plan to put them in before the 1st flight. Is the firewall mod like the one on the Peaks? And the beefing up of the gear area is .... what?
I am looking forward to some great ideas from you folks that have been down this road.
Thanks,
Don

edit: I do see and understand the battery mounting mod should my 2200 4S batteries need more room.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy