Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:31 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
CG Dialed In...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
I have slowly moved the 2200 4s pack so its sitting flush with the end of the battery tray.
...yet...?

pullup,
Got any photos of the battery position in your 3D you could post? I'm almost done with mine & am wondering where others are positioning theirs for good all around flying. Anything that you can show us would be appreciated...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:44 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Have you checked for a loose magnet...they are famous for that, must take a small screwdriver and pry a little on each....the loose one, if any, should be evident.
Thanks mjdee, I had it apart and it looked fine but didn't pry at the magnets. I Got the new motor in the other day and will install soon and give the suspect motor another check. Great little powerhouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...yet...?

pullup,
Got any photos of the battery position in your 3D you could post? I'm almost done with mine & am wondering where others are positioning theirs for good all around flying. Anything that you can show us would be appreciated...
This is the location I have been running, as far back as a 4s 2200 40c will go and still allow the hatch to fit, and its still nose heavy! It flies fine just needs a lot of up input while inverted.

I'm going to trim out the battery ledge and mount the pack lower and farther back to adjust the CG. Also picked up some high speed MG servos for the ailerons, thinking about putting some proper hinges on the control surfaces as well. I'll post pics when I mod the battery tray. Its a great flyer!

Hope that helps!
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:23 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Battery Info...

Quote:
This is the location I have been running, as far back as a 4s 2200 40c will go and still allow the hatch to fit, and its still nose heavy! It flies fine just needs a lot of up input while inverted.

I'm going to trim out the battery ledge and mount the pack lower and farther back to adjust the CG. Also picked up some high speed MG servos for the ailerons, thinking about putting some proper hinges on the control surfaces as well. I'll post pics when I mod the battery tray. Its a great flyer!

Hope that helps!
...is very helpful...Thanks...

pullup,
I'm having the same thoughts about the battery placement. The forward wing strut interferes with moving it back any further. Seems like this could've been avoided by the factory by placing the strut higher to begin with but that's a moot point now. I'm planning to fly her as she is to see how she performs which could be slightly nose heavy... The CG I can get with that interference is right at the upper wing spar or ~112mm. This is within spec but I'm betting it's going to need to move back even more for better 3D flying...

I'll need to rework the battery floor to get the 4S 2200mAh battery to slip under that strut... Not sure exactly how but right now I'm thinking I'll try & slope the aft portion to angle the battery under the strut & then glue a light plywood plate on the foam with some adhesive-backed hook & loop strips to keep the pack in place. Gotta fly her first, though to be sure...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:53 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Devil 3D Ready 2 Go...

Wasn't able to fly this weekend but she's all set for the maiden...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:02 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,120 Posts
Good luck on the maiden. Plane's looking good. I really like the airfoiled tailfeathers. Hopefully they're straighter than they are on my Peaks. I'd surely trade mine in for this plane.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:27 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Twisted Tails...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
Good luck on the maiden. Plane's looking good. I really like the airfoiled tailfeathers. Hopefully they're straighter than they are on my Peaks. I'd surely trade mine in for this plane.
...is a continuing saga for these Dynam planes...

Thanks krexken. This lil' Devil of mine has a really bowed & cupped elevator very similar to my old Peaks. Not sure what the deal is as these are two different planes & the Devil has thicker, foiled tail surfaces so I would've thought otherwise. Must be cheap foam or maybe this foam reacts like wood does when it's only painted on one side, weird...

I did have to add carbon strips to the Peak's elevator & now to the trailing edges of this Devil as well to (sort of) straighten them both out. Even though the Peaks horizontal stab & elevator wasn't as straight as I would've liked it to be it really didn't affect the flight performance, except for knife edge flight as it really pulled to the gear so I had to add an R/E mix to cancel that out...

Not sure about the Devil just yet, though. I'm just hoping I got the elevator benched trimmed properly since it really doesn't line up with anything...like say the horizontal stabilizer...
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Jan 14, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:20 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,351 Posts
My buddy filmed the Devil for a couple packs the other day and made a short video.

It was cool to see all the things I was doing wrong, flatspins flatter, knife edges more knifey ect (still tweaking on setup)

This was with my old unbalanced motor/no spinner and forward CG. I have installed my new motor/spinner(nice!), nice balanced prop, and adjusted my battery mounting for a more neutral CG. Also did some more fine tuning to the control surfaces for the next outing.

remote control biplane in breck colorado (3 min 57 sec)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:49 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Pullup....

Nice flying, and video, my fingers were getting cold just watching it. Beautiful scenery. You do like to knife edge low to the ground.....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:04 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Flying Low...

Quote:
My buddy filmed the Devil for a couple packs the other day and made a short video.

It was cool to see all the things I was doing wrong, flatspins flatter, knife edges more knifey ect (still tweaking on setup)

This was with my old unbalanced motor/no spinner and forward CG. I have installed my new motor/spinner(nice!), nice balanced prop, and adjusted my battery mounting for a more neutral CG. Also did some more fine tuning to the control surfaces for the next outing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEdZFM_kQu0
...like that is exciting...

Good stuff there pullup! Hardcore for sure going out in weather like that. I completely understand the need to get stick time no matter what...

You say you adjusted your battery mounting so what exactly did you do? Very interested in learning what you did & if you were able to get your battery under the wing strut like we've been discussing...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:40 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Pullup....

Nice flying, and video, my fingers were getting cold just watching it. Beautiful scenery. You do like to knife edge low to the ground.....
Thanks mjdee. We do live in a nice part of the country, it just tends to be cold alot.... You'll notice I only KE canopy in right to left, gear in and left to right KE I stay 3 mistakes up for the most part. Still training the brain/fingers on those.

Quote:
...like that is exciting...

Good stuff there pullup! Hardcore for sure going out in weather like that. I completely understand the need to get stick time no matter what...

You say you adjusted your battery mounting so what exactly did you do? Very interested in learning what you did & if you were able to get your battery under the wing strut like we've been discussing...
RCAV8TOR, HIt 20 today and we were back at it

I cut out the foam on the battery tray and droped the foam down and forward into the nose and CA'd it into place. Makes a platform for the battery to sit on aft and a spot to velcro the esc on forward. Took about 2 minutes and works great.

You can see in the pics the battery is now able to slide under the front cabane struts. Flew today with the battery an inch farther back and upped the elevator and rudder throws to about max the hinges/servos would allow. Flew great, very nice spins and KEs. If you yanked on them it would snap out but thats to be excpected with 45 degree throws.

Going to probably keep moving the battery back a hair every couple flights untill its dialed. It was flying great today.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:03 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Go Ahead...

Quote:
RCAV8TOR, HIt 20 today and we were back at it

I cut out the foam on the battery tray and droped the foam down and forward into the nose and CA'd it into place. Makes a platform for the battery to sit on aft and a spot to velcro the esc on forward. Took about 2 minutes and works great.

You can see in the pics the battery is now able to slide under the front cabane struts. Flew today with the battery an inch farther back and upped the elevator and rudder throws to about max the hinges/servos would allow. Flew great, very nice spins and KEs. If you yanked on them it would snap out but thats to be excpected with 45 degree throws.

Going to probably keep moving the battery back a hair every couple flights untill its dialed. It was flying great today.

...make my day...because you did...

pullup,
Thanks for the flight report & for posting that video! Your solution seems the most logical, not to mention the easiest way to deal with the battery positioning. I'm just about ready to head out to the hangar & do the very same thing to my Devil before even getting the first flight on her... Can't wait to start chopping away now...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:44 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,351 Posts
For sale, slightly used Devil. Small blemish on paint, 130.00 OBO.

Motivated seller
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:49 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
R.i.p...

Quote:
For sale, slightly used Devil. Small blemish on paint, 130.00 OBO.

Motivated seller
...Devil 3D...

Hate when that happens. I guess yours came with an expiration date of 01/17/2013... Poor lil' Devil, may she either be resurrected or laid to rest peacefully...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:54 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,351 Posts
Quote:
...Devil 3D...

Hate when that happens. I guess yours came with an expiration date of 01/17/2013... Poor lil' Devil, may she either be resurrected or laid to rest peacefully...
Yup, poor devil

It had 3 major repair jobs so no big loss. Thats what I get for shadowing my buddy's Multiplex Gemini bipe, at high speed, inverted, 5 ft off the deck...... and had a classic down is up/up is down brain fart

Actually strained it through a small pine tree first that sent the entire nose/motor/esc spinning into a snow bank causing no damage to the motor or shaft.

Decided to just order another one and keep this one for spares. Was planning to put in high speed MG servos in the tail and some MG digis for the ailerons, so now I have a new victim um I mean fresh airframe to abuse on the way.

Since we always fly close acro/formation for fun I grabbed one for my buddy as well. Already have plans for some paint to tell us apart.

Says a lot about a plane when you total one and order up a new one in the same day.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Fly, Crash & Replace...

Quote:
Yup, poor devil

Thats what I get for shadowing my buddy's Multiplex Gemini bipe, at high speed, inverted, 5 ft off the deck...... and had a classic down is up/up is down brain fart

Says a lot about a plane when you total one and order up a new one in the same day.
Heck ya, I'd do exactly the same thing... Wait...I did do the same thing...sort of... After I destroyed the Peaks 42, I got the Devil to replace her instead......

pullup,
By the way, I got out to the hangar last night & did the Ronco slice & dice to the battery bay. Took me a while so I guess I didn't make it quite as simple as you probably did but I got it done. Now I can put any number of different types of batteries in there but for now I'll stick with the 2200's. I'll take some photos & post them some time soon...

Now all's that's left to do is get her airborne!