SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
Orange County, Ca.
Joined Jan 2009
128 Posts
Wow what a bummer! I had the Peaks and was really happy with the way it flew. I really wanted to get one of these assuming it would be on the same level as the Peaks but sounds like a few issues need to be cleared up before I pull the trigger on this one. Freewing also has a simular Ultimate, its a little smaller and also flys an a 4s pack. Its a few bucks less and the finish looks extremely nice so????

HBPD
HBPD is offline Find More Posts by HBPD
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Maiden the Devil this morning. First take off ended up in a crash!!!!
She took off just fine then she turned left then hard left... hit a tree and she came tumbling down. She took a beating but nothing that a little CA could fix! Most of the damage was on the lower main wing. But the major damage was my pride!!
NTSB was called in and the intitial investigation finding were - The freaking aileron Y for left servo came loose!! Reason -- Human error -- I must have not pushed the cable all the way. I'll get her all fixed up and make sure all servo connections are secured! I'll take her up next weekend.

The morning wasn't a waste.. flew my F-22 50mm then the 450 heli. But I wished I could've flown the Devil.
jl449 is online now Find More Posts by jl449
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,498 Posts
Ouch, good to hear that she will fly again though. I always go out with multiple planes for that very same reason. You don't want a single mishap spoil the whole trip out to the field

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
Maiden the Devil this morning. First take off ended up in a crash!!!!
She took off just fine then she turned left then hard left... hit a tree and she came tumbling down. She took a beating but nothing that a little CA could fix! Most of the damage was on the lower main wing. But the major damage was my pride!!
NTSB was called in and the intitial investigation finding were - The freaking aileron Y for left servo came loose!! Reason -- Human error -- I must have not pushed the cable all the way. I'll get her all fixed up and make sure all servo connections are secured! I'll take her up next weekend.

The morning wasn't a waste.. flew my F-22 50mm then the 450 heli. But I wished I could've flown the Devil.
Man that SUX.....she will never have the new plane feeling again.....almost every plane I have has a mishap of some sort. I don't have a pristine plane out of about 10....every one has a glue line somewhere....!!
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:14 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Man that SUX.....she will never have the new plane feeling again.....almost every plane I have has a mishap of some sort. I don't have a pristine plane out of about 10....every one has a glue line somewhere....!!
I know

Question:
I just just finished repairing the plane and was installing my motor and notice the motor leans low left. I removed the motor and notice the motor mount lower left mount is lower then the upper right one. Is this normal to have the motor leaning low left?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,128 Posts
I believe it's normal on a lot of planes. It's usually referred to as down and right thrust. It helps the plane track true.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Motor Mount Foam Crushed...

Quote:
I know

Question:
I just just finished repairing the plane and was installing my motor and notice the motor leans low left. I removed the motor and notice the motor mount lower left mount is lower then the upper right one. Is this normal to have the motor leaning low left?
May not look bad on the surface but it sure sounds like the foam behind the plastic firewall has gotten crushed. I have the Peaks 42 & had a similar problem after a hard crash on asphalt.

I took more work than I thought to get the motor back to the "slight" (stock) right & down thrust condition. I ended up surgically cutting the foam off around the front of the firewall so I could get it out & then set properly again. I saved all the pieces, remounted the firewall with epoxy & then epoxied the foam pieces back into place. It seems to be even more solid than stock (well documented in the Peaks thread) & to me it flies like it did before the mishap. No movement, noises or problems of any kind...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Thanks krexken and Rcav8tor...
there is damage in the front. most of it was caused by me.. I notice the engine was leaning down right and I kinda man handle it to straighten it out. It unglued and had to add a back plate for support along with some CA.
Rca, Ill search for your repairs in the peak thread.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Thanks krexken and Rcav8tor...
there is damage in the front. most of it was caused by me.. I notice the engine was leaning down right .
You said left but I assume you meant right.....put the motor in and see what it looks like from the top looking down and the and the side. it should have a down and right thrust...thats why the mount has pads are smaller on one side than the other.

Here are pictures of a new one if you want to compare....can't see a lot of down from the side but its there....definately can see the rt thrust from the top. Before I would go and tear it apart...fly it....it may be fine.

************************************************** **** Wrong Plane ************************************************** ********************

DISREGARD....I thought I was still on the PEAKS thread....the Devil might be totally diferent, but they all usually have down & right.
Sorry for the mistake.....
Last edited by mjdee14; Oct 19, 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: wrong plane edit
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Mjdee,
The last pic looks like how my devil engine looks... leaning the same way.

thanks for the pic -- that helped!!

James
Last edited by jl449; Oct 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:02 PM
liv nvrtd
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jun 2007
189 Posts
Mine flew its maiden today. I ran 20c 2200 4s Zippy, because it was available. She needed only a little up elevator trim, but CG was very near neutral at the top spar. Added an idle mix to keep the prop just turning. Once she was trimmed out, she was rock solid. She has very gentle stall and minimal coupling that can probably be mixed out. On landing approach the most impressive part was the glide angle with the idle mix on. It displayed a very gentle, predictable slope that could be flown right to the flare. The motor, battery combo provided excellent hover punch out power, but I would definitely recommend a higher C rated battery. I was able to get 4+ minutes of sport flying from this setup and still only used about 825 mah from the pack. Batteries were warm, but not overly pushed. There was a large group at the field and several pilots asked about the Devil, where to get one, the setup and cost. One my buddies is a big Ultimate fan and I let him fly the Devil. He tried to buy it on the spot. The initial asking price went up $50 after he flew it. I was impressed with the flight qualities, the ease of assembly and the overall value of this plane. I would highly recommend this new sport biplane.
notruthless is online now Find More Posts by notruthless
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:19 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Mjdee,
The last pic looks like how my devil engine looks... leaning the same way.

thanks for the pic -- that helped!!

James
Then yours is normal....it's built in to the mount. Glad it helped, since it was a diferent airplane. but I'll bet you Dynam uses the excat same mount for both airplanes....since they both use the same motor.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Finally maiden the Devil!! I did 2 packs.. Zippy 2200ma 40c. First pack I trimmed it out. Just like Notruthless I had to give it a little bit of extra up elevator. 2nd pack just flew around and getting use to it - sport flying and praticing landing the plane -- it was easy to land this plane. But on my last landing appoach I ended up hitting the curb. (flying at a local soccer field and using the parking lot for take off and landing). No damage to the landing gear but there was damage to the foam and the bracket where the landing gear is attach. Needs reinforcement. Other than that -- I'm just glade I got her up and flying . As for the battery time -- 5 mins and pack wasn't even warm (I did baby it!). Need to order 2 more zippy packs.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,498 Posts
Awesome flight reports guys! Thanks for sharing

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:42 AM
Turn up the G's !!!!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jul 2010
721 Posts
I got mine last night and all put together. Just need a good day for the maiden which is looking like next week some time because of the hurricaine coming. Also the landing gear issue is solved as mine DID come with the right set of gear. Paint job is a little ehhh on the wings. But over all i'm satisfied so far. Hopefully the flight report will be tons of fun.
dskalski is offline Find More Posts by dskalski