HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
So this is my first dynam bird and when I plug in my battery and power it up the motor beeps at e continuously. Manual says its a voltage issue but both batteries that I tried did the same thing (14.8v 2200mah 30c electrifly's). Got any quick troubleshooting tips? I'm not running a bec, controls are on a separate circuit.
Robot_Rick is offline Find More Posts by Robot_Rick
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:00 AM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Ah figured it out. Going to maiden her tomorrow hopefully!
Robot_Rick is offline Find More Posts by Robot_Rick
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:09 PM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Best of luck on the maiden.
viper1216 is offline Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:25 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Elevator Rework...

...paid off after all......

Got a chance to fly the D-3D four times last weekend & I'm happy to say she's flying even better now. Flew her in some pretty strong winds too, the kind that used to keep me (mentally) grounded. Anyway, I mustered up the nerve to take her up & it was well worth it. Almost all up trim is gone to keep her flying neutral. Before the heat treatment it seemed like it took about 5 or 6 degrees of up elevator to counter this badly warped control surface......

Still the same responsive aerobatic ship that fits well for my style of flying & she doesn't complain when it comes time to land. Can't wait to rack up more stick time on her now that she's even more dialed in...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:04 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...paid off after all......

Got a chance to fly the D-3D four times last weekend & I'm happy to say she's flying even better now. Flew her in some pretty strong winds too, the kind that used to keep me (mentally) grounded. Anyway, I mustered up the nerve to take her up & it was well worth it. Almost all up trim is gone to keep her flying neutral. Before the heat treatment it seemed like it took about 5 or 6 degrees of up elevator to counter this badly warped control surface......

Still the same responsive aerobatic ship that fits well for my style of flying & she doesn't complain when it comes time to land. Can't wait to rack up more stick time on her now that she's even more dialed in...
I flew 4 packs yesterday afternoon with some good wind blowing. I would say the Devil sure can handle the wind! Typically yesterday's wind would have grounded me but not with the Devil.
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I flew 6 batteries yesterday. This plane just loves to fly!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:47 AM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
361 Posts
If it's already been posted I apologize but putting a properly balanced APC 13X6.5 on instead of those terrible black props it comes with is the best thing you can do for any of the Dynam planes that come with them. Great power and flies well even with the elevator cupped, it just needs some up trim but flies very neutral when trimmed for level flight. Great flying foam plane.
crawlspace is offline Find More Posts by crawlspace
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I have a PILE of props, so I will give an APC a shot. I was so surprised that the black props were almost perfect balanced that I never gave a thought to changing.
I am sure the plane flies fine with the cupped elevator, with trim, but what about inverted? Then the trim works against you. With a straight elevator, and almost no trim, I fly it upside or downside perfectly flat. It is worth a bit of fixing, IMHO. But if you don't spend much time inverted, it is a fine flying plane ... just trim it!
Don
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Way too windy to fly, so I spent some time balancing a new APC 13x6.5 for tomorrows flying. I tend to bounce all around when it comes to props and I never considered changing out the Dynam prop on this plane. It balanced well and seemed just fine as far as performance goes. But, I have now started down the changing props road again! Shoot, may even try this 14x7 I have. It is a low Kv motor, after all!
Don
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:34 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
The 14x7 is what I use on my Peaks and it works great. Just a little more responsive overall. I bought a handful of those black props from HP because they were cheap and none of them balanced at all! The hubs were way off. Must've been a bad batch.
krexken is online now Find More Posts by krexken
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:43 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
361 Posts
Same for me on the black props, I have three of the Dynam planes that came with them and the hubs on all of them were way out of balance. This isn't too uncommon but since the hub isn't solid it makes it really hard to balance. As long as the ESC can handle the extra current I'll have to give the 14x7 a try.
crawlspace is offline Find More Posts by crawlspace
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:16 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,122 Posts
Questions before Buying the D3D

Fellas, I need a bipe.

I had a Peaks a long while back, and it was ok; but didn't set my metaphorical hair on fire...and I had to mod the heck out of it to get it to 3D right. Anyway, I sold it.

But I need a 40" foam bipe, and this looks like a contenda. I'm 3D heli & airplane (ala Crack Yak Lite, etc), so that's my interest.

Now as to this Dynam:

a) will she hover; if so, how are the torque rolls & punchouts? she got enough power?

b) I prefer neutral to tail-heavy CG (for maximum snap & pop, etc)...when inverted (where I am 80% of the time) I like only very slight down elevator for level flt...so does the batt compartment have enough room to move the batt aft to achieve neutral CG?

c) are the control surfaces (mainly, elevator) ample enough to get 45-deg deflection? Has anybody added 3D long-throw servo horns?

d) how are the stock servos...ie are they fast enough, and do they center well?

NP has these in stock, so I'm thinking I'd better jump...on the other ahand, I'm looking for a plank I can bang the sticks with and really toss around...

Thx fellas, appreciate the input!

Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,122 Posts
Anybody??
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
poiyt - I'm thinking that if you are into serious 3D and you've been flying Crack Yak flat foamies, you won't like this. It is not like any Tech One plane. I really don't think you can toss this plane like you want to. MHO, or my $.02.

crawlspace - I balanced up a new 13x6.5 APC and gave it a couple of batteries. Hmmmmm I don't think I liked it. To me, it felt sluggish. What is up with that? Half inch more pitch should have given it more speed, not much, but should not be sluggish. OK, will this ESC handle a 14x7? I am not a watt guru, I am easily confused. So if one of you smart folks have any info on that, post it please. Thanks in advance!

Don
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:58 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Devil's Got a Hold on Me..

...for sure & I don't like being with out my "Bipenista"......

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Fellas, I need a bipe.

I had a Peaks a long while back, and it was ok; but didn't set my metaphorical hair on fire...and I had to mod the heck out of it to get it to 3D right. Anyway, I sold it.

But I need a 40" foam bipe, and this looks like a contenda. I'm 3D heli & airplane (ala Crack Yak Lite, etc), so that's my interest.

Now as to this Dynam:

a) will she hover; if so, how are the torque rolls & punchouts? she got enough power?

b) I prefer neutral to tail-heavy CG (for maximum snap & pop, etc)...when inverted (where I am 80% of the time) I like only very slight down elevator for level flt...so does the batt compartment have enough room to move the batt aft to achieve neutral CG?

c) are the control surfaces (mainly, elevator) ample enough to get 45-deg deflection? Has anybody added 3D long-throw servo horns?

d) how are the stock servos...ie are they fast enough, and do they center well?

NP has these in stock, so I'm thinking I'd better jump...on the other ahand, I'm looking for a plank I can bang the sticks with and really toss around...

Thx fellas, appreciate the input!

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Anybody??
poiyt,
This ship is very capable in the right hands. I'm not any kind of 3D expert but I do know she is one flickable & agile ship that can handle anything you throw at her. The stock set up is fine and you can get a lot of tail surface throws (haven't measured). The ailerons may look relatively small for this ship, but let me tell ya...she can spin lightning fast on mid-rates, plus she's got four of 'em......

She'll flat spin, blender & waterfall no problem. Knife Edges have some coupling going on but mainly due to a warped elevator, which is a fairly common defect but can be mixed out just like on the Peaks 42. She flies great inverted but the stock battery bay needs work to move the pack back to get a more neutral balance. Much too nose heavy for me in stock form......

The power system is pretty well tested in this size Dynam bird. Plus, the airframe is based on the Ultimate Bipe so she's more suited to aerobatics than even the very agile Peaks 42 is... Stock servos seem to be working well; howerver, the stock tail control linkages have too much slop, at least mine did so I replaced them. Ailerons work fine even with the short & thin rods, though these are easily replaced, too... I've had pretty darn good results flying this Lil' Devil. She'll fly on 1/3 power & then take off, not necessarily "rocket off," at full power no problem......

She'll turn on a dime & give you change as the saying goes. She's got the typical low-budget ARF issues, like the Peaks did but probably the two best reasons to have her in the fleet are 1. she can handle strong winds for her relatively small size & 2. you can't beat the price of admission for this Dynam Rx-R bird... Stand by as I'm sure others will chime in about how their D-3D flies so well too, now that the weekend's here...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R