HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
Pullup, Knife edge mixing? New to the DX8 so please share some info on your setup. My last radio was DX6. Thanks!!
I'm running a different brand of radio but in a nutshell its rudder to elevator mixing.

You program in a slight amount of elevator when the rudder is activated to eliminate tuck towards the canopy or gear when in K/E. I run it on a switch I can toggle on/off but end up leaving it on most of the time.

I first fly the wings off a plane, learn its traits and mellow out the bad ones with programing.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:31 PM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
I am also new with the DX8, so mixing setup would be awesome..thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
Pullup, Knife edge mixing? New to the DX8 so please share some info on your setup. My last radio was DX6. Thanks!!
viper1216 is offline Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:39 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Viper - a week and just now un-boxing? Turn in your man card!
Having tried to get you busy, I will tell you, the others know this already, I have a 3DHS Yak55 that is built and hanging .... un-maidened .... in the garage. That is because I'm having so much fun with this Devil. You will love it, and if you don't .... send it to me and I WILL give it a good home.
I hope you have read about the few things that may give you concerns. I did the firewall/mount ply sandwich thing, as well as the "lock" on all of the screw/nuts. Check to see if your elevatore is cupped. It will fly fine with trim, but inverted will really try to climb.
It is a great plane for the money, probably worth a lot more than we paid. But we will keep that as our secret.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Viper - a week and just now un-boxing? Turn in your man card!
Having tried to get you busy, I will tell you, the others know this already, I have a 3DHS Yak55 that is built and hanging .... un-maidened .... in the garage. That is because I'm having so much fun with this Devil. You will love it, and if you don't .... send it to me and I WILL give it a good home.
I hope you have read about the few things that may give you concerns. I did the firewall/mount ply sandwich thing, as well as the "lock" on all of the screw/nuts. Check to see if your elevatore is cupped. It will fly fine with trim, but inverted will really try to climb.
It is a great plane for the money, probably worth a lot more than we paid. But we will keep that as our secret.
Don
Lol, Thanks Don! I was actually finishing up an EDF F-16. It killed me, but I didn't want to have two planes floating on the bench...and then lose parts or end up with an EDF Devil.... But I'm ready to go now...and stole the pilot from the Devil and put him in the Jet. Do you think the firewall Mod is necessary? I was up in the air on if I was going to do it or not...some say to do, others say it's fine. I 'll have to take a look and see I guess.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
viper - I did it before it ever flew. It is probably a LOT easier to do it before there is a problem. Soooo, I did that as well as the landing gear. Before I attached the gear, I probed all around (into the foam) that black plastic mount to make a place for epoxy to flow all around it. I then filled that area as well as the empty, or hollow, area in the middle of it with a LOT of epoxy. If you do that, be sure to leave the mounting surface flat .. don't get epoxy on that part or the gear legs may not seat flat enough.
Don
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:08 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Flyin' Like a Champ...

...after making a few subtle changes......

Took the D-3D out for some flying fun today & she didn't disappoint. Made a few adjustments, like swapping the prop, gluing the motor mount & reducing the upthrust & she's performing like I knew this Devil could. Gone is the adverse vibration & motor noise. She just purrs all throughout the throttle range. I did have to adjust the shaft since there was just way too much play between the rotor & stator... She's liking her new APC 13x6.5E prop, too......

Even had an issue with a bad battery, being forced to land after only about a minute of flight time & she handled it with ease. Still have to push the elevator slightly while inverted but that's not a big deal anymore. I've got the CG set just about right now to where she's just slightly tail heavy but still stable enough a slow speed flight & for landing......

Today the wind starting gusting & blowing so hard around mid-morning that all the other pilots called it a day & these conditions used to send me packing, too but not this time. I mustered up the nerve to test myself & this new D-3D & it was well worth the risk...

The Tx programming I did last week paid dividends as well. She's much more docile on low rights but she wakes up immediately on mid- & high-rates. Started practicing some KE passes to see if any mixing might be needed. Jury's still out right now since it was a bit windy...

She's a solid performer in the wind & that's what I need to build up & hone my windy day flying skills. The Peaks used to be my windy day ship but the D-3D is just as good. She's just about dialed in now where I can just pop a pack in her & send her up without even thinking about how she's setup. That's the true mark of a go-to ship...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Lost both covers today (I had them glued together as one piece) in the wind over some heavy forested area, and after an hour of searching no luck. =(

If you've wrecked your plane and still have the old battery and rear compartment covers, let me know if you'd be interested in selling and shipping it.

EDIT: Disregard on cover, after seeing it was going to cost 40 for another fuselage, I decided to rescout the woods and another 45 minutes later I found it.
revoke is offline Find More Posts by revoke
Last edited by revoke; Feb 19, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:31 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
This Turnigy 3020B- 600KV motor is a direct bolt up on the Dynam Pitts.
Should work on this one too!
Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:09 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Motor Swap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
This Turnigy 3020B- 600KV motor is a direct bolt up on the Dynam Pitts.
Should work on this one too!
Walter
...because of weight, prop selection, quality issues, lower KV rating, kit build, or......

TripleW,
Why not use the stock Dynam 3720A-KV650 motor that it comes with? Curious since the stock motors for both the Peaks & D-3D work really well on these planes & replacement motors are available in the US. I suspect they aren't the most efficient ones out there but so far they've proven to be pretty darn reliable...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:23 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I got my bird used without a motor.
Everyone was out of stock when I ordered. So for those who are looking for and alternative to "Out of Stock" Here it is.
Walter

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_800w_.html
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
TripleW - the only issue there is the shipping time and amount of shipping that they charge. If you are in the US, send an email to HeadsUp RC and ask what motor they have that will work. They answer quickly and their prices are great. Best part is their flat-rate $2 shipping!

revoke - consider your request "revoked" I just could NOT resist.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:14 PM
Turn up the G's !!!!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jul 2010
735 Posts
Grayson Hobby has them in stock and for $25. I believe that is cheaper than nitroplanes who is out of stock anyways. You'll need a prop adaptor for it though as this isn't tapped for the bolt on adaptor. The original motor that came on mine was BM3720A2. I assume the 2 at the end means it has a bolt on adaptor and the one NP has listed in the parts needs a collet adaptor. Anyways, i'm using one I bought from graysons with a collet adaptor i got from NP and it works fine, no issues at all.

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...6m-p-1349.html

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that you'll need the stock X-mount too as this motor doesn't come with that either.
dskalski is online now Find More Posts by dskalski
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:56 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Grayson was out of stock when I ordered, And i needed the X-mount.
Thanks, Walter
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I have been flying the heck outa my Devil. Today was 8 batteries, and in the last 5 days it was a total of 17 batteries. Just having a good time with it. The battery compartment is going to get a strap! 2 days ago I was doing some neg G stuff and the 2650 came loose from the velcro and slid all the back into the cavity under the wing, behind (!) the second cover thing. Hmmm, suddenly it seemed a BIT tail heavy. Flew OK, but landed and I had a heck of a time getting the battery out of there!
Don
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Hmm, that's a good idea about the strap Don. My Devils done, just waiting on some nice weather to fly it. Still recovering from the 2ft of snow from the Blizzard...springs coming!!