HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:18 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Sorry, haven't been on in a while, swamped@ work! Maiden is planned for this Sunday! Looking forward to it! Probably go with a few friends. I already assigned one of them to shoot video for me!! Ha ha: -) gonna try the hair dryer thing tonight as soon as I get home.
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:51 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Flew 4 batteries today.

chuckman49 Sorry, haven't been on in a while, swamped@ work!

WORK??!! That is a 4 letter word that I no longer use!

Today my Peaks friend and I did some formation takeoffs and chased each other around in the air. Nothing dangerous, but great fun. Airshow material takeoff ... mine, was rolls at 6' off the ground ..... in the climbout.
Tomorrow is another day!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:34 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Can't Stop...

...the Devil from getting 'her' due...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
Maidened the Devil V_2.......

Looked great!

Flew great!!

Tried some new Nano-Tech 2200 50c, ordering more now!

Four packs and just about dialed in
Good Deal pullup!
Any noticeable differences between your first one & D-3D-v2, besides the Devil-in-disguise color change? How about inverted or KE flight, anything different there or was it just the same old thing, meaning YEE-HAW!!!
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I have a great video of my Devil in a formation takeoff with a Peaks. I did a roll on departure and we had a near .... uhm .... encounter. If someone can post it, I will send it to you. I have no clue how to do this kind of thing!
Don
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:54 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...the Devil from getting 'her' due...

Good Deal pullup!
Any noticeable differences between your first one & D-3D-v2, besides the Devil-in-disguise color change? How about inverted or KE flight, anything different there or was it just the same old thing, meaning YEE-HAW!!!
With the upgraded servos and esc everything had a smoother feel, more locked in.

My aileron throws are 45 degrees now and that makes the roll rate a blur when pegging it.

Flew 6 packs today in it, kept moving the the CG back. Still tuning it a bit.

All in all a notable improvement over stock, but the stock setup flew just fine.

My buddy maidened his all stock and we spent 4 packs both doing blenders to inverted flatspins

Its such a fun plane!

His battery came loose after a snap and slid all the way back under the cockpit. He brought it in pulsing the throttle to a safe touch down. So with that unplanned CG test it looks like the Devil has a pretty wide cg range, although THAT far back was a handful.

He's a pretty good acro pilot and was really impressed of the fun factor the Devil provided.

My new paint looked awesome against a cloudless blue sky to boot!!
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:08 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
The Devil's In...

...the Details...

Got out to the hangar for a brief spell last night so I went ahead & added some lock washers & spacers to the screws for the motor mount. Since this D-3D seems to want to act nose heavy, I'm "coaxing" her into submission by adding a minor amount of upthrust to the motor setup. Lookin' forward to flyin' her again to find out how she reacts with this change. I'm thinking this just might be what the 'Evil' doctor ordered............
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:00 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I have a great video of my Devil in a formation takeoff with a Peaks. I did a roll on departure and we had a near .... uhm .... encounter. If someone can post it, I will send it to you. I have no clue how to do this kind of thing!
Don
Put it on youtube, Then you can just add a link to it in you post.
TripleW is online now Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
So RCAV8T0R's description (and enthusiasm) made me pick this plane up over the Peaks. Received mine around the beginning of the month and it had the cupped elevator as well. I actually emailed Nitroplanes about the issue and they offered to ship a replacement one for free. The replacement one was 'less' cupped, but still cupped nonetheless, and as it was missing the carbon rods and cross bar, I ended up just going the hair dryer + heavy books + carbon rods to straighten it out. I'm still waiting on some new batteries to come in so I haven't had a chance to maiden it, but everything else fit perfectly together and its a solid build for sure.

So note for future buyers, expect the elevator to have some bow or 'cup' to it.
revoke is offline Find More Posts by revoke
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
As I posted about the cupped elevators, you also noticed. Look carefully and you'll see that the ailerons are cupped as well. I did not mess with them, and I think no one else has either. I have had many great flights with mine, and I am NOT a foamy beliver. This little plane is an exception, IMHO.

tripleW - "Put it on youtube, Then you can just add a link to it in you post." I do NOT do youtube, facebook, twitter, etc .................. I am almost a technophobe. I don't even text. There are waaaaay too many folks hacking the private info and I am paranoid about that. I KNOW, most folks are just fine, but ................. So if someone wants it, I'll email the link and if they want to post it up, great. Call me ..............whatever. Maybe just old school!

Don
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:07 PM
Gravity is just a theory.
Nuevo Mexico
Joined Jul 2004
188 Posts
I picked up one of these, looking to expand my hangar of electrics. It had the droopy elevator along with the slight droop on the tips. I just made sure everything was reasonably straight/level at the neutral position and went flying. This crazy little plane just makes your day: it's so easy to fly, so forgiving of dumb thumbs moves, and lands so gracefully. I'm not gonna change a thing, just going to keep charging and flying...
Capt Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Crash
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:29 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Makin' Me Grin...

...from ear to ear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoke View Post
So RCAV8T0R's description (and enthusiasm) made me pick this plane up over the Peaks. Received mine around the beginning of the month and it had the cupped elevator as well. I actually emailed Nitroplanes about the issue and they offered to ship a replacement one for free. The replacement one was 'less' cupped, but still cupped nonetheless, and as it was missing the carbon rods and cross bar, I ended up just going the hair dryer + heavy books + carbon rods to straighten it out. I'm still waiting on some new batteries to come in so I haven't had a chance to maiden it, but everything else fit perfectly together and its a solid build for sure.

So note for future buyers, expect the elevator to have some bow or 'cup' to it.
Hey revoke,
Glad I could push you over the edge 'cause once you fall, you fall hard... Far be it for me to be the instigator but if I can influence another RC enthusiast to try out a ship that they might not have considered then I'm guilty as charged......

Yes, these Dynam birds have their shortcomings but they really do perform well despite the warped control surfaces. For an Rx-R ship you really can't go wrong, especially for the relatively low cost of admission. The Peaks was my all around favorite ship but I ended up sending her to an early grave so this lil' Devil caught my eye & in a big way......

Had quite a few issues with the Peaks so that was a little frustrating but once remedied she was a blast to fly & never had any failures to speak of. All stock, too, except for the various mods. Now, the D-3D has a few quirks of her own & she is much more responsive than the Peaks but in reality you couldn't go wrong with either ship. It's just the Devil is a purpose-built aerobatic ship that made her more attractive as a replacement for the Peaks. Plus, the D-3D really is a plug-n-play bird, more so than the Peaks was, at least from my experience anyway......

Warped foam & all, she won't disappoint...
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Right you are! Since I left the ailerons alone, slightly warped/drooped, and it flies well .... might have been just fine leaving the elevator halves with the cupping also. Just trim it and fly. I think, though, if you are seriously into 3D, you may need to get everything perfect. When I do a reverse half cuban, I get a bit of a fall off to one side. Loops are straight, rolls are good but sorta "off center". Those 2 issues might be my thumbs tossing in a little unwanted input. Inverted it tries to climb a bit which, IMO, is because of the trim I have in it for level flight. It is a great, fun, plane and when you consider the price, great bang for the buck!

I have neglected the maiden of my new 3DHS Yak55 because this little "cheapie" is so much fun to fly. I'm even looking for another Dynam ... if only they had a 40-50" Zero. THAT would be my 1st warbird.

Don
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:30 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Well the moment has finally arrived!! I MAIDENED my D-3D this morning! This is only my second 3D plane and the first was a scratchbuilt so not very precise when it comes to 3D. This thing was AWESOME!! Smooth, comfortable and precise like warm slippers and a recliner after a long day in the cold! I'm used to sensitive control surfaces so I had my dualrates setup at 75% and expos @ 40% WHAT A BLAST! This thing took off smooth, TONS of climbing power! Thanks for the up elevator trim tips, due to the cupped elevator surface, I started with a few clicks of up trim and she was actually very well trimmed from the start. Made for an easy maiden. Within a few seconds, she was trimmed perfectly and and I couldnt help but to have some fun with her. I'm by no means an expert, but she took everything I could dish out and begged for more! Went through 4 battery packs and just a ton of fun packed in every single one! Easy to fly, easy to takeoff, easy to land, harriers like a dream, I even tried hovering but am just learning that maneuver so not very good at it. Just a great plane, expecially for the price! Thanks to everyone for the tips and recomendations. Video to come shortly...
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Good for you! I have so much fun that my other planes are being neglected. I am not a 3D-er, and I find this thing to be a very good aerobatic plane. I may need to get started on 3D, but for now ..........
Don
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:04 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
The Jury's Still Out...

...about these adjustments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...I went ahead & added some lock washers & spacers to the screws for the motor mount. Since this D-3D seems to want to act nose heavy, I'm "coaxing" her into submission by adding a minor amount of upthrust to the motor setup. Lookin' forward to flyin' her again to find out how she reacts with this change. I'm thinking this just might be what the 'Evil' doctor ordered............
Flew her a couple of times yesterday after shimming "up" the motor & moving the pack back even further back. She didn't seem very happy, either... She still had a nose down attitude during normal flight but did fly almost neutral while inverted... She was very twitchy & was much more difficult to land as even slight elevator movements caused her to pitch up & down......

I'm guessing that she was tail heavy but she didn't have the classic signs, like a nose up position for instance, that I could recognize. Also, she was really making some loud vibration sounds at full throttle... Because of all this, I didn't fly her much since she didn't seem quite right... The warped elevator must be the culprit so I'm just going to get the best compromise of balance & inverted flight manners & leave it at that. Overall, she flew fine. Very responsive, so much so that after the second flight I dialed down the rates & upped the Expo, something that I needed to do anyway......

Soooo, she's back in the hangar now for more adjustments. I took the front end apart, reduced the amount of upthrust I added, & CA'd the motor mount to the foam around the perimeter to make it more solid. Regarding the noise, I'm thinking I've still got a prop balance issue so I replaced the Dynam 13x6E prop with an APC 13x6.5E, plus I'll try out the new settings to see what that does for next time. Keep ya posted...