SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:08 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
OMG! That looks like the HK MX2. Same colors .... and that gremlin infested little bastig was a REAL PITA!
My Devil is a tame critter, I hope your "painted" plane does well.
Don
Its going to be just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...with those custom colors......

pullup,
Comin' right along with your repaint. Does look like it would be a big pain in the neck to strip her first, though... On the plus side it'll be a lot nicer quality than stock... How about decals or stickers, any plans for those...
Hmm, might put some Hitec and Castle Creations badges/stickers on it but mainly just the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
pullup, That looks good!
What kind of paint are you using?
The black is Krylon Fusion Gloss, and the green is neon green from Rust-oleum. The green is beyond flat, almost chalky. I then coated it all with water based gloss poly, that deepens the green and gives it a little pop.

I went to a RC auction yesterday and failed to find anything to purchase, so with money burning a hole in my pocket I hit up the hobby shop after. I purchased some new HS-82mgs for the E/R and HS-65mgs for the ailerons.

The HS-82 are 6 grams heavier than stock (total), and the HS-65s are 4 grams lighter than stock (total) according to my 12 dollar kitchen scale.

So now I'll have about the same cost in servos as the Devil ARF, then if I throw in a CC Ice Lite 50.........

Seems silly to trick out a plane that preforms fine stock, but that is why its called a hobby
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
And most hobbies burn money faster than they should. Just be glad it is not a full sized boat. BOAT stands for Bring Out Another Thousand (as in $$)
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:29 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Many Other Ways To...

Quote:
And most hobbies burn money faster than they should. Just be glad it is not a full sized boat. BOAT stands for Bring Out Another Thousand (as in $$)
Don
...squander your hard-earned cash & then have nothing to show for it in return... At least that's what I keep telling the wife (& myself) when I have to have that next greatest ship I've been Jonesing after... Luckily for me she indulges me in this greatest of hobbies. Could think of a lot worse ways to spend money, time & effort that wouldn't even come close to the thrill of this RC addiction, um, I mean hobby......
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
You are right, far, far worse ways to spend your time and money.

Flew it again today with 2 - 2200 and 2 - 2650 batteries. There is only about 1/2" difference between them for the correct CG. My 2200's go right up flush with the bulkhead that has a tunnel sorta thing, and the 2650's front edge goes right in the center of the foam uprights (?) that are just aft of the bulkhead. Hope you know what I'm saying here. For my plane, it is just about spot on. Inverted is hands off as is normal straight and level flight.

My friend and I chased each other around a bit as well as takeoff as a flight of 2. His Peaks seems to need more power tthan my Devil to fly same speeds. I'm not sure if they have the same motor or not. I also think the Devil is a cleaner design so less drag. But we had fun!

Don

edit: I just checked and they do have the same motor, so it must be the airframe differences.
Last edited by dkrhardy; Feb 04, 2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: motor info
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:05 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
What's the Verdict...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
I was playing with the balance a bit last night and decided to move the battery back a bit. It ended up quite a ways farther back than I was expecting! Balances perfect now.
...chuckman, have you had a chance to maiden your lil' Devil yet? I'm curious as to how yours went......

Flew mine yesterday & I couldn't get a tail heavy CG for anything... I've got the battery almost halfway under the forward spar & she drops her nose when inverted... I must have this ultra-dense foam up front that's weighing her down... I do know the not-so-flat elevator is causing some of this nose down condition so I may have to compensate even further by adding upthrust to counter this... I'm going to fly her up on the vertical, keep the speed up then neutralize the controls & she if she pulls to the gear or to the canopy to check that as well. Not that big of a deal, though right now. Just need to push slightly on the stick to keep her level while inverted...

Had a great time flying her yesterday & only on what I would call low rates & she's still very responsive, so much so I didn't even use any higher rates this time out. You can flick her around, rolling, snapping & spinning much more quickly & more precisely than the Peaks & yes, she is faster using the same power system...... Still getting the feel for her but she can handle wind just like her Peaks sibling so that's a huge plus in my book. Another big plus is it seems like (both of) these Dynam birds are just too easy to land.........
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Flat Spin Anyone?

Has anyone had any luck getting the Devil to flat spin?

If so how?

Build Warning: MUST USE THREAD LOCK TO KEEP ALL THE COUNTLESS TINY NUTS FROM COMING UNDONE ON THE DEVIL.

over and out,
Johnny Jet
jetster7 is offline Find More Posts by jetster7
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
RCAV8T0R - as you may recall, I did work on my elevator to flatten it out. Very slowly and using heat from a hairdryer. I'm 99% sure that a heat gun would give it a case of "gator" skin. Several heat cycles and it was a whole lot better, but not perfect. I decided not to press my luck and do more. I am very pleased with my inverted and "normal" flight, and I did get it tail heavy with the 2200 battery pushed back about 3/4" from where it is now CG'd. I had to PUSH the stick to get it to fly level and lots more to descend for landing.

over and out,
Johnny Jet

Johnny - I was an air traffic controller for 40+ years, recently retired, and if you say "over" you want/need a reply. If you say "out" it means you do not want an answer. And you never say them together. Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself from saying that. I will now give myself a time-out to, hopefully, adjust my attitude!
Last edited by dkrhardy; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:43 PM
Turn up the G's !!!!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jul 2010
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetster7 View Post
Has anyone had any luck getting the Devil to flat spin?

If so how?

Build Warning: MUST USE THREAD LOCK TO KEEP ALL THE COUNTLESS TINY NUTS FROM COMING UNDONE ON THE DEVIL.

over and out,
Johnny Jet
I get mine to flat spin by full left rudder, full right aileron and full down elevator. Sometimes I have to reverse the aileron direction for a second to get it start the spin. That is probly just because I'm a 3d noob and the timing of getting into the move. Throttle is about half or less but if the nose starts to drop or rise control it with more or less throttle. Well, that's how I get it flat spin.

OHH, and never use thread locker on screws that go into plastic. My complaint is that some of the screws seem a little short for what they are ment to do. Like the landing gear. Havent had them pull out yet but, it does scare me a little.
dskalski is offline Find More Posts by dskalski
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I used hot glue on the itsey bitsey screws that are/were used to mount the wing and cabanes onto the Devil. I had 2 of them BREAK as I tightened them on the trial fit. Sooooo, when I did them on the final fit, I tightened them down to about 90+-ish % and put a GLOB of hot glue on the nut/screw to act as a lock ... uhm nut? I have not had any of them back off. If you use LockTite, be sure it is on metal to metal.

As dskalski said, not for use on metal to plastic.

BTW, I went into my parts bin to find longer screws for the landing gear mounting. I land pretty smooth and soft ..... no issues. I also did a fairly aggressive "mod" with epoxy in the gear area.

Don
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
a friend and i just ordered a devil for each of us.
He has never flown anything but he can fly any 3d plane on the sim. He is also really good with rc trucks and cars. He also has a cheepie 4 channel heli that he can fly just fine.
stockstinks is offline Find More Posts by stockstinks
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Flew mine 4 times today, what a glorious day for flying! A friend took the sticks and loved the way it flies.
Don
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:39 AM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,468 Posts
Couple shots of the Devil, ready to go!

HS-65mg for ailerons, HS-82mgs R/E running on 6 volts.
CF servo arm extenders.
Ice lite 50 esc.
Stock motor.
Battery tray mod.
Reinforced hinges with Welders Glue.

Maiden tomorrow
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:41 AM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Flew mine 4 times today, what a glorious day for flying! A friend took the sticks and loved the way it flies.
Don
Your going to have a Devil squadron soon if your not careful!!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:46 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Now All You Need Are...

...some Bad @ss 'Green Hornet' decals to make your green goblin really stand out......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
Couple shots of the Devil, ready to go!

HS-65mg for ailerons, HS-82mgs R/E running on 6 volts.
CF servo arm extenders.
Ice lite 50 esc.
Stock motor.
Battery tray mod.
Reinforced hinges with Welders Glue.

Maiden tomorrow
pullup,
Lookin' good! Wondering how this custom D-3D v_2 is gonna work out since the first one seemed to do really well for ya. Hopefully, you'll come back with the same number of pieces as you started with. Let me know where you end up placing your battery pack on this version...

Have fun & best of luck on the maiden...
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:13 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,468 Posts
Maidened the Devil V_2.......

Looked great!

Flew great!!

Tried some new Nano-Tech 2200 50c, ordering more now!

Four packs and just about dialed in