HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Walter - I 1st talked about that when I un-boxed the plane. The elevator, both sides, drooped. I was sure that is why all maidens mentioned up trim being needed. The ailerons did too, but to a lesser degree. I straightened the elevator and semi-straightened the ailerons, but they were symetrical so I left them with a bit of droop. It seemed to add a bit of washout, and that ain't too bad for flying.

RCAV8T0R - thanks! I had bought a foam "3D" plane from HK, foam - large-all inclusive, and found it to be lacking in OH SO MANY ways. Everything was weak and I was forever chasing those gremlins, so I gave it away before it was trashed. So, I feared this was the same, very inexpensive plane with everything there. I did the mods, ala Peaks firewall, beefed the gear area, and I have all new MG servos waiting. BUT, I'm pleased, not saying that because I parted with some bucks, but because it flies nice. If I feel it is letting me down, I WILL tell you!
I did not metion earlier .... the stall (up high) is very gentle and straight ahead. No surprises! Going again tomorrow morning before the wind picks up. It is great being retired and being able to do what and where I (we) want.
Don

Ps I maidened THIS plane before I maidened my new 3DHS Yak55!! And I'm gonna fly it again tomorrow.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Flew it again today. I moved the 2200 4s back about 3/8" back and took out the up trim. It was tail heavy! I had to really push on the stick to get it to descend and landing was "fun" but successful. Moved the battery back ... pronto. Next flight was as the wind picked up. It flew fine, but really wanted to balloon in the gusts. More "fun" landing than the previous flight, but on the ground with no bounce. It was nearly a stall it onto the ground 3 pointer, but from only 3 inches off of the ground. So all was well and no way hard enough to damage anything other than my pride. I am pretty good at landing and my pride does not like to take a hit!
I am liking this plane and with the shiny (GloCoat) finish, people think it is an expensive plane ....NOT! I did not put the stickers on it, so no one knows what it is until I tell them.

Don
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:29 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Stop It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Flew it again today. I moved the 2200 4s back about 3/8" back and took out the up trim. It was tail heavy! I had to really push on the stick to get it to descend and landing was "fun" but successful. Moved the battery back ... pronto. Next flight was as the wind picked up. It flew fine, but really wanted to balloon in the gusts. More "fun" landing than the previous flight, but on the ground with no bounce. It was nearly a stall it onto the ground 3 pointer, but from only 3 inches off of the ground. So all was well and no way hard enough to damage anything other than my pride. I am pretty good at landing and my pride does not like to take a hit!
I am liking this plane and with the shiny (GloCoat) finish, people think it is an expensive plane ....NOT! I did not put the stickers on it, so no one knows what it is until I tell them.

Don
...you're making me jealous...

dkrhardy,
You are definitely having too much fun with your lil' Devil so stop it already... Just kiddin'...

These Dynam birds are pretty darn tough & can take some unexpected or deliberate.........abuse... Now it's time to put her through her paces & see what she can really do...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
I was looking at the Peaks thread ..... those guys have got some strange ideas about how planes fly and how to trim. OMG!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:12 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,383 Posts
Quote:

Don
Congrats on your maiden and following flights! Please box up some warmer temps and send them my way

Can't wait to get Devil2 up and running. It is a good bang for the buck, and sharp looking to boot!
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:03 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I tried Medium timing on another Devil this morning, And it didn't work.
I had to go with low timing. Got rid of the stuttering off idle. Odd.
I am pretty darn sure i went with Med. on the first one.
Anyways then I tried low timing on a Peaks/Pitts and it worked as well.

* Enter program mode - Plug in with throttle all the way up.
* When you get to One Long Beep then one short Beep. Go to idle.
* Then you will here one Beep for Low Timing. Then go to Full Throttle.
* Exit program mode. With in two seconds after low timing Beep go back to idle.

Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Quote:
My stutter went away by pulling the power trim down a bit. I presume that the timing thing may be the correct cure.
Tomorrow should be the maiden, wind permitting.
Don
If the default timing is med or high, then going to low timing to stop the stutter is not any better than what I did. At 50% power, I'm screaming along with the stock, balanced, prop. That is on default setting with trim to stop the stutter. I also have a APC prop, same size, that I need to try since some say they are better (stiffer) than the Dynam prop.
Don
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:14 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I'm not sure what the default timing is, Now. I know you can trim it to an idle setting, But we just didn't like it to stutter trying to get there.

Precision Aerobatics recommends VOX props over APC's.

Go to prop selection.
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=418
VOX
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/c...?cid=70&pcid=4
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,409 Posts
Devil 3D Build Video

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821596

kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,383 Posts
Sneak peak at the new paint job progress........
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
OMG! That looks like the HK MX2. Same colors .... and that gremlin infested little bastig was a REAL PITA!
My Devil is a tame critter, I hope your "painted" plane does well.
Don
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:54 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Gettin' There...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
Sneak peak at the new paint job progress........
...with those custom colors......

pullup,
Comin' right along with your repaint. Does look like it would be a big pain in the neck to strip her first, though... On the plus side it'll be a lot nicer quality than stock... How about decals or stickers, any plans for those...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:11 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
pullup, That looks good!
What kind of paint are you using?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Flew it again today. I tried the 2650 batteries (I thought they were 2450, but no they are 2650) and found they work well at about 1/2" back from the 2200 balance point. I flew them for the same amount of time, 5 min, and they had the same voltages as the smaller batteries ... when finished. ??? Maybe I'm flying it a bit harder as I get more used to the plane. I like to finish up with 3.7 to 3.8 volts per cell since that is storage voltages. Just put them on the shelf until time to charge and fly.
Great flying now that I re-did the rates and expo. On low I have 60% and expo at 50. Very smooth until I bang the stick. That really livened up the roll rate yet keeps it docile for smooth turns in the pattern. Folks commented on how precise it flies.
Don
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
I did not mention that I did some verticle work as well as spins and it is a good tracker in a steep climb, not wonderful, but darned good. Spins nice since I added more aileron to it. Tomorrow is going to be a COLD morning, but as soon as the sun has had a few minutes of shine time, it will be OK for flying. Not supposed to be anything more than a breeze!
Don