SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:20 AM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
my experience is that the viperjet with only taileron control steers very slow so your plane is very hard to control if you comming in to land.

one other question is why don't you use the original mini viper? the end is 20mm but when you heat it you can extent in to 25mm!

the epp foam is much better than the depron you use.

but at the rest... you build it very nice keep going!
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:05 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Kevin,
I must agree the viperjet is one smooth handling ride with no bad traits to speak of...I have a 70 mm and have also built several pushers..

Nitro,
She's coming along nicely and you being here I should also say thank you for your help with the power plant...(I think the 4barrel Carb,porting and polishing the heads and that fine transmission will do the trick... )

Robert,
The ailerons have not been cut yet.....Would not try it with just tailerons...
The reasons for not using the original are many...I've built several pushers and wanted to build a micro...also...Mine will be much lighter...trying to hog out that foam and then mount the electronics can surely be done and has been but I like the idea of building the plane around the electronics instead of the other way around...the last reason is getting a design set for making a plug that will except a 40mm fan with exhaust tube to make composite vipers..
The Viperjet will be my learning experience and then it will be trying to do a composite micro scorpion...(my fav sport airframe)
Here's a few pics of my last scorpion scratchbuild.....

Take care..............Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Last edited by Hover or die; Aug 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Ohhhh YEAAAAAH!!!...I'm likin' what I'm seein'!!!...A micro Scorpion would be da bomb!!!...Keep up the good work!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
i've build flown and crashed three mini vipers and this is my experience but it's your own choice ;-)

realy liking your future plans i'll follow you :-)
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
I hope you guys are having a good weekend...
Time for a little update on this little "Viper"!!!!!

I have one wing skinned but I'm waiting on a servo that should be here Tues I guess to finish the other wings upper skin..

I skinned most of the front end and glued the nose piece on..now I need to sand and add a little filler to make it sharp..These pics I'm posting are raw!!!
No filler has been used to even fill the pin holes from the T-pins..
I've started on the pieces to wrap the intakes and the tail is complete and glued in place..All 3servos are mounted in the stabs for elevator and rudder...These were completely rebuilt to make it work..
I went ahead and sanded the leading edge of the port wing that is skinned and it looks good(pics)
Also going with Thunderbird 6amp and a standard receiver so I can go to 3s if I want more juice..I will already have a 20 grams of thrust hopup for the 2s version.
But...I want to have the ability to drop a 3 cell in there..
If I decide I want a 3 axis gyro I will install an fy30a without the cover..I use them in my big jets and love them!!!guessing 12 to 15 grams without the cover..

I'm looking like it will come in around 68-72 grams all up with a 200 2 cell(micro-beast battery)only 2s on hand.I piled everything up on the scale with more than enough foam and added weigh for glue...lol...Going to LHS tomorrow to grab a variety pack of batts
Well enough yackin'..
Here's a few pics and a few scorpion sketches for those interested in that beautiful design!!Its lookin' like 18"L x 14"W for the little "stinger"(micro-scorpion).
Looking like it is going to be 40 mm to keep battery mah size to around 1000-1200-.......
Well I'm going to try to do a little micro soldering ....
Yipee
Take care fellas and do let me know how it looking so far if ya/have time......Chris
Last edited by Hover or die; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: pics not showing up
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Lookin' GOOOOOOOD!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:54 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
She's gonna be a sexy jet Chris!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:50 AM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
wow! next week time to fly?? ;-)

see that you make ailerons in the wing.. good choose
are you going to mix flapperon for your landing an take off?
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:10 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Who woudn't love one of these super tiny micro jets! Just too cool!

F
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Fellas,
Thanks for stopping in and making me feel at home here in the micro forum...
If that servo shows up tomorrow(I do not think the mail runs today)I should be able to knock it out pretty quick except painting...

What are you guys using to paint your MICROS..I usually use tamiya or testors on my bigger stuff..I did pick up some acrilic paints from Walmart yesterday to experiment with...just never brushed paint on a flying model..I have brushed on plenty of styrospray though....
This little canopy from the free light viper looks sharp sitting there....I also had to beef up the fan former to except the pressure of pressing on the outer skins....how are you guys doing your plastic canopies?
Building your own boxes for pulling parts?
Take care all.............Chris
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:41 AM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
plastic canopies can by a little pet bottle with water.

you just get your heat gun and crimp it around the shape that you want.

if you're using the black canopy from the viper i'll recommend to get some clear tape around it so it wouldn't stick at the bottle

keep going
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:44 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Making canopy. The water bottle trick is a charm, but I would use a durable plug. I used to do a lot of plunge forming. Now I made this Vacumm Forming Device, single hole design. Works very well but yoou would want to make man parts in your building ventures to invest time in any device.

If you thin Tamya or Model Master paints and airbrush, that is the lightest method. Airbrushing thinned craft paint good, next in line. But brushing craft paint can get heavy, so thin it and go light. Rattle cans of Tamya and MM is probably a wash when considering brused on craft paint. Years of practice I now get pretty light craft painted airframes.

Now that you questions were answered.... Great job, keep it coming!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Sep 03, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
I've taken to battery heatshrink lately.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Servo showed up and now just looking for the impeller to show and I'm set electronics wise...
I did decide to build a new canopy...the black one is a little big for scale so i narrowed it some to give it a sleeker look....
For some reason my cam took the pics in the wrong format and will not load..
I will try again this afternoon.................Chris
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Thanks for the ideas on the canopy fellas...
I took a few shots yesterday/today and wanted to show you the canopy and also the formed dep around the intakes is done along with the turtle deck..I still have to make a fan access but should be pretty straight forward..none of these parts are glued in as I plan to do the soldering and re installing the fan and ducts...I'm on the home stretch of the building phase..
One other thing to mention..
Where the skins attach to the rear fuselage at the bottom it will be rounded and not squared as i did on the front..the flat bottom piece helps to hold the depron to the bulkheads while the glue dries and then the bottom is cutoff and rounded to jell with the flow of the rounded shape.
I will take a pic of this area before I cut....
Take care and wish me luck .................Chris
Last edited by Hover or die; Sep 06, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: pics and spelling..