HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Build Log
Micro Viperjet w/ Custom Fiberglass Ducts

I have been watching this forum with great interest..I hate to use names (always miss several)but the work being done by NitroCharged and Team30(master builder/tinkerer)
PDawg(electrolyte,nuff said),BIM(wow),ChrisT and Joe Malichek(nano masters),Kevin Greene,Joe1320,Pedantic,Freddie B,danj31, and so many others,,,you guys blow me away!!!!!
I applaud you all here in this Micro forum...

I decided to start a micro Viperjet as I love the honest flight characteristics of the design...I'm trying to replicate the goods looks of this airframe to the best of my ability...lol.
I'm powering the jet with basic off the shelf UMX Mig components except for servos..I will post a pic when they arrive tomorrow or the following day..
I've built several pusherprop versions of this jet for 3 and 4 cells but this is the first small Viper...

Demensions are similar to the little German Ybuilt Chuck glider..Of course it is designed different to accommodate the edf unit and built from 2 and 3 mil depron..
I made plugs and did custom ducts to eek out the most performance from this tiny fan..Will also be doing a small upgrade to the fan to pick up another 20 grams of thrust or so....( thank you Nitro!!)
The ducts were 5 grams but still a little weak so i gave them a wrap of carbon and now they are solid and come in at 6 grams..not too bad...The next set I will try different layups to determine the best and lightest lay up to obtain the strength needed...The carbon tow does wonders for strength and the ultimate lightweight lay up will certainly use this product I would think..

The wings and horizontal tail surfaces are built up and include carbon for strenth....Still undecided on the vertical...
I've dropped the exhaust tube down to 25mm on the exit and not sure if this is too much for this fan unit....Comments please??
If there is interest I will do a plan set as there are not many parts and the hardest part will be skinning the airframe in 2 mil dep...I've gotten pretty good at forming dep with heat so it should not be an issue..
Hoping to have it flying over the next 10 days or so..
Will also be using the receiver/as3x system from the mig..
Comments welcome...
Take care fellas.........................Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Last edited by Hover or die; Aug 22, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Space for added text...
3rd pic was a mistake,do not know hoe to delete from post..lol
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,250 Posts
Hover or Die,

I'm really interest in how you glassed your ducts. At 6g, they will be worth their weight in thrust. LOL. Sweet looking plane you have their. Hope to poach a build or two from you Scratch Builders. Good Luck.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Hey Chris, pretty impressive, I like it. 6g for ducts seems pretty light. Composites are tough to make much lighter. As far as deleting or editing photos, go to edit, at bottom click on 'Go Advanced', and then you scrol down and click on 'Manage Attachments'.

I do wish you best of luck forming the 2mm Depron. It is a real challange for me still unless everything is gentle and smooth transitions. Looking forward to more. Looks so clean and real nice already! Keep the pictures coming it makes for a so much better presentaion and we all love the photos!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Aug 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: My spelling, of course...... Sorry Mrs. Hannick!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
ksqm,Freddie B,
Thank you guys for the nice comments..very much appreciated....

On the ducts...I used 2wraps of the hangar9 (medium)1-1/2oz.fiberglass cloth..(very tight weave)
Also used some carbon from Dave Brown products..
My scale only weighs in grams and does not break down the grams in 10ths..So they could be as much as 6.4 grams..Does not fluxuate so no higher than that..
The 2 wraps left me a shape and structure but the strength came from the carbon..pretty flimsy before the carbon and I almost put another layer of one size heavier glass but luckily decided to try the carbon...No possible way for them to deform due to suction..Being so small makes them naturally stiff as well....

Here's a pic of the stuff used.....
Take care................Chris
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:50 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Thanks Chris, and that is all great stuff you are using. I just found the 1 1/2 ounce glass 1 or 2 months ago also, and love it! Z-Poxy rocks too, and I have used the Dave Brown CF Tape, but it can be a real with so many little strands!

Have yu ever tried using CyA for fiberglass work on small parts? It gets real stiff, but is quite toxic ao precautions are needed. Not sure if it's lighter though. Good job and don't worry about that scale. I use that kind often and for years didn't have anything that could measue finer either. I tried to find a 0.5g 'something' and used to throw it on the scale to see if it tipped to the higher number when it was critical. But then I figured out nothing is that critical (to me) and any scale helps us to watch our diet which is it's true value. Plus it is just too darn interesting to know how little some of this stuff weighs!

Thanks again!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Yes Freddie,
I agree!! That carbon can be wicked stuff to work with...lol...Sometimes I get lucky and can peel away a piece without making a mess..Problem is I never use the whole thickness or length so I am cutting no matter what..At least its better after you get some resin on it...
First time using the hangar 9 glass as well..I usually use a wider weave,(3M)
I also bought a pack of the 1/2 oz( light)glass and that stuff is tissue paper thin..
Having a good time working with this smaller stuff as it takes very little space to work..Nice break from that headache producing Raptor up there...

Pushrod linkage set just showed up..Tiny stuff..Linkage kit from Mig..
Servos will be here tomorrow and the receiver around end of week..

Finishing up wing profile and will look at cutting skins starting tomorrow or the next day.....
Take care..................Chris
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,250 Posts
Okay, I've been looking at your pics all day. I'm going to take the plunge and try and do a set of ducts for my F-20. First need to make templates. I have some fiberglass cloth. Need to check the weight. I'm ordering the Z-Poxy Resin tonight before bed. We'll see how this goes from there. Thanks for the pics and info. Just the incentive I needed. Will update my F-20 thread as I go. Counting on you guys to let me know, when I go astray.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:37 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
SOOOOOOOO. This is where your hiding out now!! I've been crushing this small stuff too (it's all Freddie's fault!) and I gotta admit its some pretty cool stuff! Question on your ducts Chris,, how did you get them off the plugs? Build on! Great thread as always. w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Yea Walt,
I had to take a break from the raptor..giving me a headache!!
You can always slit them when still soft or do like I do and pour some acetone in there and presto!
If I made the plugs for the long haul I would slit and peel em' off but its easier for me to just make another plug if needed..
Bret gives good info on the peel off method in his electrolyte thread..
With all the different size fans its just as easy to build to suit each time..
Good seeing you and thanks for stopping in Walt.....
Take care................Chris
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,511 Posts
Very cool project Chris,

For this airframe you have a good compromise of lightweight construction and aerodynamically efficient ducting. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. The ducting on the electrolyte is fairly flimsy on its own. It's made from 2 layers of 2 oz cloth. Most of the weight is in the epoxy so be sure to blot out the part with a paper towel to remove excess glue. Once the ducting gets installed it stiffens up and is more than strong enough. On thing is for sure....the last thing on your model to be damaged will be the ducting. Btw I would consider using a standar receiver without the as3x so you can fly this airframe on 3s. It will probably be necessary to get performance your hoping for. Great work so far!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Bret,
Thanks for stopping in and for the nice comments.
Your article in the magazine on the electrolyte really showed me how far the micro scene had advanced...A great teaching tool and I wish they had given you more space to add more pics and info.The same with CN's F5,,he deserved more space for pics and text...Killer builds and I guess its nice someone finally noticed....Luckily it got me to the thread where many questions were answered..
I would like to pick your brain sometime on glass layups for your model as i plan to do a composite viper fuselage as well and have a cool idea to make it happen..
Also did not think about using CA for the ducts as it dries much harder/stiffer than the epoxy and probably gives more overall stiffness due to its harder properties..I do have a package of the 2 oz glass as well....Thanks for mentioning your duct lay up..That type of information is priceless..Saves the trial and error pains we all go through with building models from scratch..
Thanks for the idea about the receiver and 3 cells..Will more than likely prove to be the correct path..
Will post more pics today,updates and past pics I did not load......
Take care..................Chris
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
OK,
A little update of sorts..I de died to build up my vertcail stab and also decided to rebuild my horizontal as well...
The reason is the servos will fit in the stabs themselves omitting the long linkages.
I also built up a battery ele tronics tray so my fat fingers don't destroy the jet changing out batteries ect..
Nearly time to add some skins now..
The wing profile is done and ready for servos and skins as well....
A few pics to show progress....
Last edited by Hover or die; Aug 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Lookin' GOOOOOOOD!!!!..

.I absolutely love the ViperJet...I had one that was turbine powered and the other is a 70mm EDF....These ViperJets fly just like smooth pattern planes---They go exactly where you point them and don't have any bad habits---As long as the speed is kept up when landing...If you get the ViperJet too slow it will tip stall...

Subscribing to this one!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:56 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Crikey!!!

That is really coming together and looking so sexy!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged