HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgg View Post
Pete, where can I access this video? Many of us would greatly appreciate if you could post the link here...
Video is coming soon, waiting on our editing team to complete it,

Pete
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timography View Post
Well my maiden went well, ended up moving the CG a little further forward as I wasn’t happy where it was. Ran thru two 2200maH battery packs; as I expected they were good for 3x 30 second power climbs each. Telemetry was recording that each climb was getting me to 720-770ft, which is perfect for me. No problems with the MVVS and 14x9 prop combo.

A couple of observations. This is a slippery airframe with a bit of weight [inertia] behind it. I let it get away from me in a dive a couple of times and boy it speeds up quickly. Lesson learned – pop the flaps before putting the nose down. This is contrary to how my Avia behaves, but that’s to be expected as the Avia's airframe is only a bit smaller but half the overall weight of the Mystique. It handles wind quite nicely, which is the main reason I got the Mystique; it penetrates really well. With camber applied it will turn quite slowly [and tightly] in a thermal and I ended up flying it mostly with the rudder and using ailerons to keep the bank angle in check. Again, this is contrary to how the Avia likes to be flown. Keep your speed up on approach. I have crow braking set to give about 45 degrees flap and only about 10 degrees up aileron. Plenty of control and aileron authority with those settings, for me anyway.

Overall, I’m really happy with the way it flies. Looks awesome in the air. Definitely different to any of my other e-gliders but again, that’s to be expected.

@Jerry – I followed Peter's recommendation and just set the trim on the horizontal stab so it was centered as best as I could get it. That's it!
Yup,,, my maiden experiences pretty much mirror yours to a tee!!! :-)
First started out with my CG back about 123 mm ( thought I can handle that!! )
This plane really doesn't like its CG that far back!! Stupid me!! Was a little squrelly but manageable ,, liked to tuck its nose down in a dive!! Hate that!! :-),, ok so lesson learned!! So put in the slightly bigger heavier pack moving CG fowArd to about 118 mm ,, completely different plane!! Doesn't Wana tip. Stall now,, no tucking nose down in a dive. Sooooooo many good things to say about this plane!! Where do I start.??? Under power: EXCELLENT !! Very neutral like a good 3D plane,, wasn't expecting that,, just goes where you point it. With the EFlite BL 25 motor can fly quite fast and climb quite steep ,, had my 1st timer set for 30secs,, in 30secs was a tiny tiny dot in the sky. ;-)
Once I got CG sorted out was a DELIGHTFUL flyer!! As you said Timography picks up speed quite rapidly when you point the nose down,, fun stuff!!
Not much lift except in very beggining,, saw some birds circling in some lift, headed over there,,,,, oooooooh my god!!! She started climbing in lift soooo fast!! Was amazing,, in a few seconds realized couldn't really see her that well,, soooo hit hard rudder down elevator,, she came literally screaming down in a spiral FAST dive!!! Went to pull out ,, realized I was in in inverted ,, YIKES!! But this thing flys quite well inverted too!! Cool!!! Thermals like a mad dog ,, AND aerobatic to boot!! Yes!!!,, after a few minutes flying Around now no power,, my buddies watching said : WOW!! Looks like your almost same altitude even after zooming down,,,, and of course that sound on the low high speed flyby!!! Just like the mystique video,, love that sound!! ;-) realized I didn't have quite enough down elevator compensation on flaps no biggie. Next time puuuuurfect,, comes down real nice and SLOW,, very controlled descent now,, but surprising how good glide STILL is even with FULL crow. Tried speed and thermal mode,, have my left slider so I can either add or subtract camber in thermal mode,, disco vered I needed just a little more camber,, now that's it!! Floats REAL nice like a radian,, so now I try speed with trailing edge reflexed about 1.5 mm and full 100% aileron to flap mix,, WOW!! What a blast!! Now I got a fast aerobatic sailplane ,, NICE!!!! You can get quite a speed range outa this plane with no camber or reflex just by adjusting pitch,, point nose up nice an slow,, point nose down,,, and watch out!!! Tried initially to use about 35% aileron to rudder mix,, but found she'd turn MUCH flatter and more efficiently using rudder manually and separate from ailerons. I wasn't expecting this to be such a fun aerobatic ship. Once I got CG AND right elevator compensation in butterfly worked out, very slow easy controlled landing approach,, and when I optimized my crow she didn't stall when I released the crow, just flatten glide and settled in for the smoothest softest landing,, not even waking the ants!! As AEAJR likes to say. Very smooth soft landing about 5ft away. All in all,, a fantastic flying plane,, quite a BIG step up from a radian. THANKS PETE!!!!!! GREAT job!!!
To those still to maiden ,,, Folow instructions to the Tee about CG !!
At 123back: a little squrrelly tip stally, at 117 very nice!!! AND it is quite hard to figure neutral horzitotal stab. On my first hand toss she pulled up hard,, I over corrected ( wasn't expecting how sensitive that full flying stab would be,, started porpusing just a little came down kinda hard,, Dooooh!!!!! Soooo,, added some down trim,,, tossed again ,, Puuuuurfect!!! Now were ready to go. Turned on motor gave a gentle level toss out,,, out she flew,, sooo stable level,, just goes wherever you point her,, point her up she just keeps going straight up ( almost) get her level , motor on still,, she just keeps going level,, but now real fast. Nice!!! An aerobatic plane AND a sailplane . I LOVE this plane!!!

PS to Timography: its FUN to point nose down in a dive WITHOUT poping the flaps,and watch and LISTEN to her scream in a dive!! She can get going surprisingly fast!! Also fun to just pull FULL rudder and watch the REAL pretty spins she does. If you get just the right separate but coordinated rudder and aileron , she can do a very flat and tight turn,, also fun. But you gota get that puuuuurfect combination of timing of rudder and ailerons combined. ;-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,893 Posts
Airman, thanks for the pilot report. I too was amazed at how this bird floats and moves. Once I got it trimmed, it floated as if Horizon filled the wings with helium!
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:47 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Airman74,

That was such a great report, I was getting excited reading your account of the flight.

One thing, if you are going to use R/E to come down fast it shoud be full rudder and full up elevator. Lower left or lower right stick position. I had miss posted as upper left and right and someone corrected me. Will be much easier to manage in the lower left and right.

So glad you enjoyed your first flight. Now, go find those thermals. By spring I hope to hear you found some ALES contests. That will get you super hooked.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Airman74,

That was such a great report, I was getting excited reading your account of the flight.

One thing, if you are going to use R/E to come down fast it shoud be full rudder and full up elevator. Lower left or lower right stick position. I had miss posted as upper left and right and someone corrected me. Will be much easier to manage in the lower left and right.

So glad you enjoyed your first flight. Now, go find those thermals. By spring I hope to hear you found some ALES contests. That will get you super hooked.
Yes after I did that realized that's what I SHOUD'VE done,,, dooooh!!!!
Super hooked by spring??? Think I'm there right now!!! ;-)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:54 PM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
This plane really doesn't like its CG that far back!! Stupid me!! Was a little squrelly but manageable ,, liked to tuck its nose down in a dive!! Hate that!! :-),, ok so lesson learned!! So put in the slightly bigger heavier pack moving CG fowArd to about 118 mm ,, completely different plane!! Doesn't Wana tip. Stall now,, no tucking nose down in a dive. Sooooooo many good things to say about this plane!! Where do I start.??? Under power: EXCELLENT !! Very neutral like a good 3D plane,, wasn't expecting that,, just goes where you point it. With the EFlite BL 25 motor can fly quite fast and climb quite steep ,, had my 1st timer set for 30secs,, in 30secs was a tiny tiny dot in the sky. ;-)
Once I got CG sorted out was a DELIGHTFUL flyer!! As you said Timography picks up speed quite rapidly when you point the nose down,, fun stuff!!
Not much lift except in very beggining,, saw some birds circling in some lift, headed over there,,,,, oooooooh my god!!! She started climbing in lift soooo fast!! Was amazing,, in a few seconds realized couldn't really see her that well,, soooo hit hard rudder down elevator,, she came literally screaming down in a spiral FAST dive!!! Went to pull out ,, realized I was in in inverted ,, YIKES!! But this thing flys quite well inverted too!! Cool!!! Thermals like a mad dog ,, AND aerobatic to boot!! Yes!!!,, after a few minutes flying Around now no power,, my buddies watching said : WOW!! Looks like your almost same altitude even after zooming down,,,, and of course that sound on the low high speed flyby!!! Just like the mystique video,, love that sound!! ;-) realized I didn't have quite enough down elevator compensation on flaps no biggie. Next time puuuuurfect,, comes down real nice and SLOW,, very controlled descent now,, but surprising how good glide STILL is even with FULL crow. Tried speed and thermal mode,, have my left slider so I can either add or subtract camber in thermal mode,, disco vered I needed just a little more camber,, now that's it!! Floats REAL nice like a radian,, so now I try speed with trailing edge reflexed about 1.5 mm and full 100% aileron to flap mix,, WOW!! What a blast!! Now I got a fast aerobatic sailplane ,, NICE!!!! You can get quite a speed range outa this plane with no camber or reflex just by adjusting pitch,, point nose up nice an slow,, point nose down,,, and watch out!!! Tried initially to use about 35% aileron to rudder mix,, but found she'd turn MUCH flatter and more efficiently using rudder manually and separate from ailerons. I wasn't expecting this to be such a fun aerobatic ship. Once I got CG AND right elevator compensation in butterfly worked out, very slow easy controlled landing approach,, and when I optimized my crow she didn't stall when I released the crow, just flatten glide and settled in for the smoothest softest landing,, not even waking the ants!! As AEAJR likes to say. Very smooth soft landing about 5ft away. All in all,, a fantastic flying plane,, quite a BIG step up from a radian. THANKS PETE!!!!!! GREAT job!!!
At 123back: a little squrrelly tip stally, at 117 very nice!!! AND it is quite hard to figure neutral horzitotal stab. On my first hand toss she pulled up hard,, I over corrected ( wasn't expecting how sensitive that full flying stab would be,, started porpusing just a little came down kinda hard,, Dooooh!!!!! Soooo,, added some down trim,,, tossed again ,, Puuuuurfect!!! Now were ready to go. Turned on motor gave a gentle level toss out,,, out she flew,, sooo stable level,, just goes wherever you point her,, point her up she just keeps going straight up ( almost) get her level , motor on still,, she just keeps going level,, but now real fast. Nice!!! An aerobatic plane AND a sailplane . I LOVE this plane!!!

PS to Timography: its FUN to point nose down in a dive WITHOUT poping the flaps,and watch and LISTEN to her scream in a dive!! She can get going surprisingly fast!! Also fun to just pull FULL rudder and watch the REAL pretty spins she does. If you get just the right separate but coordinated rudder and aileron , she can do a very flat and tight turn,, also fun. But you gota get that puuuuurfect combination of timing of rudder and ailerons combined. ;-)
I got a real laugh reading this. I did not understand any of it. I'm going to see if Rossetta Stone has any software to speak PILOT ...
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
There might be some money to be made with that idea, ralph. A "Pilot to English", or language of your choice, translation would be a boon to many beginners. Sigh... With all the new blood in the hobby I have even seen vendors' web sites talking about "back wings" rather than stabilizers.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
Quote:

Wow, what a fantastic review, what a blessing for me to see you get the intended enjoyment. Congratulations on your successful test flight.

Pete
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:44 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHorizon View Post
Wow, what a fantastic review, what a blessing for me to see you get the intended enjoyment. Congratulations on your successful test flight.

Pete
Pete,,, let me just say I personally think this is THE best plane E Flite has EVER came out with period , not just in category of sailplanes,, ANY plane. Whatever you got paid to design this,, it wasn't enough. :-O

Thank you for such a great product at a very reasonable price point. I think this plane might possibly have appeal to experienced non sailplane pilots,, I know as an ex slope guy myself the slope guys will like it away from the slopes. Do I dare call this a warmliner. ;-). My pilot Audience all said : WOW!! That thing climbs fast!!! And they especially liked the low high speed flybys and that cool sound it makes,, they kept egging me on like little kids,,,,, " do it again!!,, do it again!! "
But I stayed my course,,, I had to get trims, mixes, CG sorted out,,I wanted to explore her flight envelope,, which seems quite wide I might add. I'm looking fowArd to spending many hours tuning and tweaking mixes etc. the local soaring club in Davis ,Ca has monthly ALES contests,, have to try some of those
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
It's not for me to bring you back to earth, Airman, but part of that is the old "bigger is better" rule. All things being equal; a 3 meter glider will be so much better than a 2 meter that one can't really compare them. The Windfree was a world apart from the Windward (Yes. I'm that old.) The Hobie Hawk was a whole new level of performance. The Sagitta 900 was much better than the 600. And the Grand Esprit, at 134 inches, surpassed them all.

Even with smaller planes; a good, clean, airframe with bags of power is a real joy. Add in new materials, airfoils, and technology and an old fart like myself waxes enthusiastic about each new plane. My first modern e-glider is a $100.00 Specter 1800mm from HobbyKing and it is so far beyond my old planes that it's hard to imagine anything better. I'm still undecided between a Mystique and a few others in the same size range but I know that I will be even more pleased once I achieve that next goal. I've even been dreaming of some gliders in the 4 meter class but i have serious doubts about getting such a beast down within the constraints of my local field.

I'm really glad that you are so pleased with the mystique and look forward to reading about your milestones as you go on. I think I speak for everyone when I say that I would love for you to submit your flights to our informal contest found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1825063

All entries are welcome but I have a feeling that you, and other Mystique owners, could set some new bars we can aspire to. The question is; should I compete with other Mystique owners or go for something completely different? I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:02 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
Yes,, I realize I'm just a little over the top enthusiastic, ;-) but I truely believe that for a mass produced available at your LHS this calibur of plane sets a new standard, especially at this price point. And of course bigger is always better, especially with sailplanes,, but its been soo long since I flew a sailplane like this I sorta forgot what it was like. Kinda like being RE united with a long lost beloved family member. And to easily be able to get replacement parts,, a HUGE bonus in my book. Yes I fully realize there ARE other e sailplanes in this size category,,,,, but,,,, look how much more they cost,,, then consider you can't just go down to your LHS pick one up and actually look at it. AND its just my nature to be what some might call,, a little toooo enthusiastic about new offerings. ;-) just my 2cents
Thanks for the invite,, ill check out the thread. :-)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:08 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
Can post my actual official AMA documented slope duration record???
If I can it was in June 2001,, at Eureka, Ca,,, time : 12hours 35 min no motor one continous flight
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:26 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
234 Posts
Airman

Great review, its to bad I did not understand most of it. (LOL)
I have one question ??

Are you set for "Flaperons" or "2 Ail and 2 Flaps."

I'm guessing Flaperons .
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:47 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan View Post
Great review, its to bad I did not understand most of it. (LOL)
I have one question ??

Are you set for "Flaperons" or "2 Ail and 2 Flaps."

I'm guessing Flaperons .
Not using a spektrum radio ( yikes!! Don't look Pete ) I'm using a hi tec Aurora ,
I believe you mean if I WAS using a spektrum?? Before I bought the aurora I tried programming a set up on my DX8,, I set it up as a 2 flap, 2aileron wing using an 8ch receiver,, got it to work,, don't know if it would've been best one out there,, but for me at least it was just too convoluted,, so I found the GREAT deal on the hi tec that AEAJR posted a link to. For me at least just a little better having a radio that has sailplane specific programming , just makes setting up, programming, making changes and tuning easier,, at least for me!!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:07 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
234 Posts
Quote:
Not using a spektrum radio ( yikes!! Don't look Pete ) I'm using a hi tec Aurora ,
I believe you mean if I WAS using a spektrum?? Before I bought the aurora I tried programming a set up on my DX8,, I set it up as a 2 flap, 2aileron wing using an 8ch receiver,, got it to work,, don't know if it would've been best one out there,, but for me at least it was just too convoluted,, so I found the GREAT deal on the hi tec that AEAJR posted a link to. For me at least just a little better having a radio that has sailplane specific programming , just makes setting up, programming, making changes and tuning easier,, at least for me!!
Not the answere I was looking for, but thanks

Ralph