HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:51 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Depends how many channels your receiver is,, if you want all 4 servos in wing on their own separate channel , then yes you'd select 2 flap, two ailerons, but you'll need an 8ch receiver for that set up with DX8, if your willing to Y harness the two flaps together, then select 1flap and 2 ailerons and use a 7ch receiver. Spektrum doesn't allow custom assignment of channels on DX8, so if you chose 2 flaps that means 1ch for each flap even if you have 2 servos but are y harnessing them then that would considered 1 flap cause only one channel is driving both flaps, or you could y harness both ailerons into one channel and have each flap on their own channel. The wing type determines how many channels it will transmit to.. Does this make sense?? Or am I confusing you??
Basically the first five channels with DX are ALWAYS the typical Rudder, elevator,ailerons, throttle and gear PLUS anything beyond that like 2aileron channels each aileron on its own channel and no flaps would be 6ch, 2 ailerons and one flap channel ( flaps y harnessed ) 7ch, 2 ailerons and 2 flaps would be 8ch,, so you'd need corresponding number of receiver channels to accommodate each of those set ups. Hope this helps. :-)
There's many different ways to set up a sailplane with DX8 to get close to full sailplane functionality
For instance you can put throttle on Gear, flaps y harnessed together on throttle and separate aileron channels for flaparons, the set a mix from throttle to ailerons to get aileron to flap mix. With this set up you'd only need a 6ch receiver,, many different ways to configure. I believe HH has some templates that are used on the radian pro that would work. Check their web site
7 channel receiver should work fine 6 servos and esc. I have done this on radian pro, I will post a link.
Randall
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:54 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
295 Posts
Quote:
...Y harness the two flaps together...
Don't forget that will need to be a reversing y-lead, otherwise the flaps will move in opposite directions as the servos are mirrored in the wing, they're not the same orientation...
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:57 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
7 channel receiver should work fine 6 servos and esc. I have done this on radian pro, I will post a link.
Randall
There has been whole pages in this thread about using the Radian Pro programming for the Mystique. I've already posted all the programming steps a couple months back - sorry I don't remember where but a guess would be around page 30-40ish... maybe?

FYI - I'm using the Radian Pro programming for the Mystique with my DX7s and it works just fine; just remember to set the wing type to [flaperon] and not [2 aileron 2 flap]

Last edited by timography; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:11 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
295 Posts
Had a quick look back and sorry, I couldn't find the page with the Radian Pro programming for full house/6ch mixing.

However, have a look here for a different thread with the same information...
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:24 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
231 Posts
Here is thread and video for a 1 solution.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1330755&page=5

Randall
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:25 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Here is thread and video for a 1 solution.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1330755&page=5

Randall
WOW!!! Impressive!!! Pretty creative programming!! From the video looks like you can actually get everything you need in a six servo sailplane with DX-8
Good news for the DX8 owners :-)
I still like ease and flexibility of a sailplane radio,, but hey,, if it works,, why not!!
Why doesn't HH come out with some sailplane software for the DX8??
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:53 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
661 Posts
Actually I have read that they are coming out with Sailplane upgrade to DX8, it will cost around $30.00 to upgrade. Typical for greedy Horizon, suck the last dollar out of their consumers. First they introduce all these gliders, and then no Spektrum radio to fly them on properly with the exception of DX18 and now make customers pay for their own shortcomings and still no sliders either!

Quote:
WOW!!! Impressive!!! Pretty creative programming!! From the video looks like you can actually get everything you need in a six servo sailplane with DX-8
Good news for the DX8 owners :-)
I still like ease and flexibility of a sailplane radio,, but hey,, if it works,, why not!!
Why doesn't HH come out with some sailplane software for the DX8??
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Feb 08, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:44 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Quote:
7 channel receiver should work fine 6 servos and esc.
Yep. +1
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:45 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
I think the thing that really bites,, is I paid MORE than $100 LESS for my A9 with FULL sailplane programming, sliders, 9ch vs 8 , large touchscreen which does indeed make adjusting and programming faster and easier, fully assignable switches and channel porting, AND cheaper receivers. Although,,,,,, I'm glad I have the DX8 too to fly all the bnf stuff,, but it does make you wonder.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:46 AM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Depends how many channels your receiver is,, if you want all 4 servos in wing on their own separate channel , then yes you'd select 2 flap, two ailerons, but you'll need an 8ch receiver for that set up with DX8, if your willing to Y harness the two flaps together, then select 1flap and 2 ailerons and use a 7ch receiver. Spektrum doesn't allow custom assignment of channels on DX8, so if you chose 2 flaps that means 1ch for each flap even if you have 2 servos but are y harnessing them then that would considered 1 flap cause only one channel is driving both flaps, or you could y harness both ailerons into one channel and have each flap on their own channel. The wing type determines how many channels it will transmit to.. Does this make sense?? Or am I confusing you??
Basically the first five channels with DX are ALWAYS the typical Rudder, elevator,ailerons, throttle and gear PLUS anything beyond that like 2aileron channels each aileron on its own channel and no flaps would be 6ch, 2 ailerons and one flap channel ( flaps y harnessed ) 7ch, 2 ailerons and 2 flaps would be 8ch,, so you'd need corresponding number of receiver channels to accommodate each of those set ups. Hope this helps. :-)
There's many different ways to set up a sailplane with DX8 to get close to full sailplane functionality
For instance you can put throttle on Gear, flaps y harnessed together on throttle and separate aileron channels for flaparons, With this set up you'd only need a 6ch receiver,, many different ways to configure. I believe HH has some templates that are used on the radian pro that would work. Check their web site. I've found for maximum sailplane functionality with DX 8 you'll need a 8ch receiver in order to put each servo in the wing on its own channel. Maybe AEAJR has some ideas
I should have been more specific as to my setup. I'm using the recommended items as listed in the manual and your response provided me with the answer I was looking for.

Thanks Ralph
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:50 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
And those sattelite receivers of spektrums are kinda goofy too,, its been repeatedly proven the others vendors don't need them so why does Spektrum??? Ok,,, I'm done with my Spektrum rant ;-)
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:52 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan View Post
I should have been more specific as to my setup. I'm using the recommended items as listed in the manual and your response provided me with the answer I was looking for.

Thanks Ralph
Your welcome!!! Good luck with the mystique!!! Sorry I was sooooo long winded. :-)

Jerry in Chico
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:53 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,455 Posts
Quote:
And those sattelite receivers of spektrums are kinda goofy too,, its been repeatedly proven the others vendors don't need them so why does Spektrun??
They are a design choice. Clearly not all of Spektrum's receivers have remote receivers. Some just have long antenna.

Is one approach better than the other? Well, we can let the RF engineers debate that. Both approaches work.

Some Hitec receivers have one boosted antenna. That seems to work too as Hitec's RF system has a great reputation.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:55 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Build update : just got my LAST wing servo installed just this minute!!
Tommorow gona wire up everything,, check my control surface throws, mixes etc, check CG mount everything inside plane, range check,,, then maybe late tommorow or Sunday,, Maiden??? :-)
Timography : are you a go for tommorows maiden???
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:07 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Oct 2010
113 Posts
Ok so I've finally purchased 3 JR DS368 servos and 2 spectrum A7020 servos. Now the thing to do is decide where to use which one.

I'm thinking 2 JR DS368 servos for the ailerons and 2 A7020 servos for the flaps. For the elevator I'm going to use another DS368. For rudder, I'm going to use a DS368BB.

Do you guys think all that's fine? Also, I couldnt think of any reason for swapping the flap and wing servos (using the 368s for the flaps and the 7020s for the ailerons). How about swapping the elevator and rudder servos? Any reason why I might want to consider those options? Also, what is the difference between the the DS368 and DS368BB?
coolgg is offline Find More Posts by coolgg