HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:54 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,842 Posts
My rod was just the right length. You may have something jamming before it goes all the way in?
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:22 AM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Same here rods the righ lenght.
Randall
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:27 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,063 Posts
Mine are ok
Airman74 is online now Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:24 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,063 Posts
Ok now I see what everybody is talking about with the flap install.used a longer servo arm,, mounted servo to bottom of wing not cover just like ailerons,, when I get it in looks like I'm gona have about 55deg flap travel,, hopefully that'll be enough :-)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:39 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Ok now I see what everybody is talking about with the flap install.used a longer servo arm,, mounted servo to bottom of wing not cover just like ailerons,, when I get it in looks like I'm gona have about 55deg flap travel,, hopefully that'll be enough :-)
That should be plenty!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:52 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That should be plenty!
Thanks AEAJR !! I thought so, especially if I use a tiny bit of crow,, these flaps seem to have a decent amount of area.
Other than how difficult and time consuming its been the build has been pretty straightforward ,, but I feel sorry for the guy who's built nothing but a few big power planes!!
Outside routing of linkages would've been far easier,, but I like the look of internal routing. This one actually first sailplane that I personally built with internal routing. All ones I've built have been external.
Its a learning experience. ;-)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:45 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,053 Posts
The joy of flaps is not to come in fast and HIT THE BRAKES!.

The joy of flaps is to lower the stall speed of the glider by adding camber to the wing. This way you can come up to your landing spot so slowly that you can just kiss the ground gently so as not to wake up the ants.

Crow, is more of a braking tool but it takes away that slow approach as it kills some of the lift of the wings.

That is why I don't use crow or I only use a very small bit of up aileron. My goal is to approach the landing area slowly and gracefully when I am thermal soaring.

Now, on the slope, where the rotor can be severe and you need speed to keep control of the glider, there crow, and its huge braking force can be very valueable. You come up to the landing area with some speed so the rotor does not toss you around, then you high the brakes and drop it on the spot.

The right tool for the right job is what you want.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:45 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The joy of flaps is not to come in fast and HIT THE BRAKES!.

The joy of flaps is to lower the stall speed of the glider by adding camber to the wing. This way you can come up to your landing spot so slowly that you can just kiss the ground gently so as not to wake up the ants.

Crow, is more of a braking tool but it takes away that slow approach as it kills some of the lift of the wings.

That is why I don't use crow or I only use a very small bit of up aileron. My goal is to approach the landing area slowly and gracefully when I am thermal soaring.

Now, on the slope, where the rotor can be severe and you need speed to keep control of the glider, there crow, and its huge braking force can be very valueable. You come up to the landing area with some speed so the rotor does not toss you around, then you high the brakes and drop it on the spot.

The right tool for the right job is what you want.
Nice tutorial on use of flaps,, I keep forgetting I rarely used more than about 40-45 deg,, I like set my butterfly mix so at full flap deflection ill have maybe 1-2 mm aileron reflex not so much braking but just decrease lift and increase effective washout in outer wings,, have to see how that works on this plane
I like your slow graceful landing approach idea AEAJR
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 05, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:45 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
As it turned out there must have been a lump of glue or something lurking in the end of the stab tube for the elevator rod. Trimmed 5mm off the rod with the Dremel and the cut-off wheel and alls good now. The elevator halves are really, no *really* free to move on the elevator rods now though, I'm not sure if the glue stick trick is going to work and I might have to look at a more permanent fixing solution involving some 5 minute epoxy...
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:02 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timography View Post
As it turned out there must have been a lump of glue or something lurking in the end of the stab tube for the elevator rod. Trimmed 5mm off the rod with the Dremel and the cut-off wheel and alls good now. The elevator halves are really, no *really* free to move on the elevator rods now though, I'm not sure if the glue stick trick is going to work and I might have to look at a more permanent fixing solution involving some 5 minute epoxy...
Just use ALOT of glue from glue stick. :-)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:15 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Quote:
Just use ALOT of glue from glue stick. :-)
Hey mate- well I'm pretty much done with my build, just gotta get CG set and then it's ready for its maiden flight this Saturday morning...

Will be posting a few photos when I'm done showing motor install, telemetry and RX positioning. I had basically no problems at all with aileron and flap linkages apart from one of the control rods had a damaged thread on one end which meant that the clevis was slipping (like a stripped thread) but not to worry, soldered up one of my own linkages and alls good now...

Now, on to the CG machine - aiming for 120mm for a starting point, oh and I'm only using a 3s 2200mAH 45C battery - wanna keep things as light as possible...

Last edited by timography; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Can't spell... :0/
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:34 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Hey mate- well I'm pretty much done with my build, just gotta get CG set and then it's ready for its maiden flight this Saturday morning...

Will be posting a few photos when I'm done showing motor install, telemetry and RX positioning. I had basically no problems at all with aileron and flap linkages apart from one of the control rods had a damaged thread on one end which meant that the clevis was slipping (like a stripped thread) but not to worry, soldered up one of my own linkages and alls good now...

Now, on to the CG machine - aiming for 120mm for a starting point, oh and I'm only using a 3s 2200mAH 45C battery - wanna keep things as light as possible...

I MUST be doing SOMETHING wrong,, the ailerons servos went in ok but I wouldn't call them easy. Guess I'm too used to those easy power plane builds.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:03 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Quote:
I MUST be doing SOMETHING wrong,, the ailerons servos went in ok but I wouldn't call them easy. Guess I'm too used to those easy power plane builds.
I did put a slight bend in the middle of both aileron and flap rods, about 15degrees I guess - kinda resembled a banana lol
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:36 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,063 Posts
Quote:
I did put a slight bend in the middle of both aileron and flap rods, about 15degrees I guess - kinda resembled a banana lol
Ok,, now I don't feel so bad!! I had to do that too!! Just finished my LT. Flap servo install getting about 55-60deg so should be fine,,, guess I'm just not that good of a builder. :-(
I found these servos tedious and hard compared to the easy external routing of power planes. But these internal linkages ARE cool though!! So worth the effort in the end. :-)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:45 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,063 Posts
Taking a step back and looking at this plane as a whole,,,,,,,, it IS a BIG step up from a foamy E glider on many levels. I've been wanting to do a plane like this for quite awhile now. I'm looking foward to flying her