HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:52 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,453 Posts
Be mellow Airman74. You didn't do anything wrong. I am just suggesting more clarity. Everyone else probably knew exactly what you were reporting. I am just a pain about these things.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:21 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Be mellow Airman74. You didn't do anything wrong. I am just suggesting more clarity. Everyone else probably knew exactly what you were reporting. I am just a pain about these things.
No!! No!! I wasn't being sarcastic ( limitations of text ) I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend. Your clarifications ARE appreciated TRUELY!! I didn't mean to sound sarcastic,, I'm sorry if I did. :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:28 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Oct 2010
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
No!! No!! I wasn't being sarcastic ( limitations of text ) I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend. Your clarifications ARE appreciated TRUELY!! I didn't mean to sound sarcastic,, I'm sorry if I did. :-)
The way I see it, aejer wasnt thinking you were being sarcastic. On the contrary, he was trying to say "Airman, relax you dont have to apologize because you werent doing anything wrong." I'm guessing 'be mellow' created some confusion because its used to imply different semantics.

Anyways, I just jumped in bcuz I thought that would help clarify confusion easier compared to you both trying to resolve it, didnt mean to act 'big brotherly' or anything
coolgg is offline Find More Posts by coolgg
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:09 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,453 Posts
coolgg is right. Airman, you doing just fine!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:38 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
coolgg is right. Airman, you doing just fine!
Thanks guys :-)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:03 AM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
231 Posts
Airman
Since your in Chico I have 2 questions for you. What radio are you using, and where are you gonna fly it,
Randall
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:44 AM
SBSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2004
133 Posts
Airman74,

I use the TP 1300 65c batteries ... although I run a 4s with my slightly lower KV Hacker 30xl. At about 45 amps, I only use between 215 and 300 mAh for a 200m limited flight. For the stock motor and a 3s, the figures should be close. The key is having a battery that can easily handle the amps. Mine come down slightly warm. If it is windy I will switch to a 2200.
Don McCullough is offline Find More Posts by Don McCullough
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:31 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
Airman
Since your in Chico I have 2 questions for you. What radio are you using, and where are you gonna fly it,
Randall
2 GOOD questions!!
Answer to question 1) : I'm using a hi tec Aurora 9 to fly it. I was looking at DX-18 ,, but I got the A9 including 2 receivers for almost 1/3 the price of the DX18
And now after spending Alot of time with the A9,,I REALLY like it!! The BIG touch screen makes programming REALLY fast and easy,, can't believe what it can do for the money.
Question 2) during the week, probably at 20th street park, on weekends , either MARSH Jr. High , or field at A Main Wharehouse out off Otterman. Do you have a good big wide open field out in Red Bluff???? I wouldn't mind going out there once in awhile??? None of the places here in Chico are what I'd call ideal. ;-)

Jerry in Chico
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:35 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McCullough View Post
Airman74,

I use the TP 1300 65c batteries ... although I run a 4s with my slightly lower KV Hacker 30xl. At about 45 amps, I only use between 215 and 300 mAh for a 200m limited flight. For the stock motor and a 3s, the figures should be close. The key is having a battery that can easily handle the amps. Mine come down slightly warm. If it is windy I will switch to a 2200.
Wow you can get to balance ok with that lightweight 1300 battery??
That's an interesting set up :-)
Which 30xl are you using 700kv 12xl, 900kv 10xl, or 1100kv 8xl??
And what prop size??
In pics it looks to be set up for a front mount,, did you have any problems with motor wires rubbing on motor case?? Did bolt holes on front of motor line up with holes in the motor mount OK??
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 04, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:23 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Ok,, so I got ONE aileron servo mounted this Sun.,, I don't know if I'm just a Dork,, or,, if the method they reccomend is just too hard,, but I found that internally routing linkage with servo mounted to cover or bottom of wing was just tooooooo problematic and difficult,, its just toooo darn tight in there. So here's what I finally ended up doing : I mounted servo to TOP of wing ( not cover as reccomended) and then I also had to put a slight curve or bend in pushrod,, think ill do flaps same way
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 04, 2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:39 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
231 Posts
Well in Red Bluff we have a nice flying field but asphalt runway but clumpy dirt around it so may go to High school to fly it. I use to fly at marsh when I was done there but now the solar panel really reduced the area. Maybe I should put a wheel on it but I would hate to do that.
Randy
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:58 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
Well in Red Bluff we have a nice flying field but asphalt runway but clumpy dirt around it so may go to High school to fly it. I use to fly at marsh when I was done there but now the solar panel really reduced the area. Maybe I should put a wheel on it but I would hate to do that.
Randy
Yup the solar panels really messed things up there. :-(
Is the high school field good for flying??
My wife goes up there on weekends for business ocasionaly and I sometimes tag along
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 04, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:06 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McCullough View Post
Airman74,

According to e calc that hacker in the 700kv version looks to be a much more effecient set up than my e flite bl25 out of the yak that pulls 55amps on 3S with a 13x6.5 prop looks like that hacker 700 kv would do well on either 3S or 4S,,, hmmmmmmm
Have always like hacker motors. ;-)
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Addition
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:43 PM
SBSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2004
133 Posts
Airman,

I use the 700 kV A30-12XL version 2. The motor physically is almost identical to the E-Flite Power 25. To make sure the motor wires do not touch I put a few drops of hot glue to tack them to the inside wall of the fuselage.

I used the stock 14x8 prop. It flew fine. Now I am using an Aeronaut 15x6. The amps went up from 37 to 43 and the climb seems better. My first few flights got to 200M in about ten seconds. Now I use the extra performance to go further upwind to better search for lift.

In order to balance with the smaller1300 4S battery, I built a small tray just behind the motor, extending the existing tray. By mounting it with some sheet metal screws, I can remove it to access the speed control (the CC 50 Lite fits under the battery tray along with the CAM altitude/time limiter). When I use the 2200 4S (same weight as the stock recommended battery) it is mounted in the normal position nearer the servos.

Hope this clears up my configuration.
Don McCullough is offline Find More Posts by Don McCullough
Last edited by Don McCullough; Feb 04, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:46 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
295 Posts
Ok, is it just me or is anyone else's stabiliser rods 5mm too long?
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography