SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:25 AM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
564 Posts
i decided to run my pushrods under the wing for flaps and ailerons, no bending or whatever, and cover them with fairings.

Pat
PAT-T is offline Find More Posts by PAT-T
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:48 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgg View Post
Omg, i just checked out that supra pro, its sooooo beautiful and sleek Dunno why you had to buy this one when you already had a much better one...Runaway from here man, you're making people jealous

Snip...
I don't have a Mystique, although I know I would enjoy flying one if did.

My reason for being in the thread is to assist my fellow glider guiders, especially those new to soaring. Many Mystique buyers are new to this class of glider and I just want to help them be successful. I think there are several people in this thread doing the same thing.

Also, by following the thread I learn about this plane. Based on what I have read I feel comfortable recommending the Mystique to people interested in stepping up from foam to a built up 3M e-glider for sport soaring and perhaps ALES contests. The price is excellent and the quality appears to be quite good. I would like to read more flight reports, especially from experienced soaring pilots, but the ones I have read seem pretty good.

I am VERY impressed that we have HH/Eflite representatives in the thread, That shows real commitment to the product and the customers.

Horizon/Parkzone opened up a great path to soaring with the Radian. I love my Radian.

Then they followed it with the Radian Pro to help pilots to the next step in soaring. Now we appear to have another winner in the Mystique to help pilots continue to grow in their soaring experience.

No, I don't work for Eflite, Parkzone or HH. . But I did learn to fly with a HobbyZone Aerobird which also gave me my first thermal soaring experience. So just call me a very satisfied customer.

Good job Eflite and HH. Keep 'em coming!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,979 Posts
I am new to the big gliders. Just did a Radian before this. However, I am very experienced in RC electric, and this thread was still a big help. I really appreciate the contributions from the experienced glider guys like aeajr.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:14 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgg View Post
A fellow RCG member PM'ed me a recommendation for this servo:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/kst-ds135mg-wing-servo.html

I must say that the specs look very impressive and the price even more impressive. Its only 10mm thin which is great. Wayne the hobby shop owner apparently has a good reputation and he just told me that these are excellent reliable serovs, he hasnt heard of a single case of stripped gears.

The only down side I can see is that its 23gm, significantly heavier than the A7020's 14.5gm. But I'm waiting for Airman74's measurement and hopefully he'll report an error in the weight spec'ed on the A7020 product page

Similar others with lesser torque:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/kst-ds115-servo.html
http://www.alofthobbies.com/kst-ds215-servo.html

Btw, you'll need to convert the specs for these ones from kg/cm to oz/in to compare the torques with the other servos. You can do that by multiplying by 13.88. (Eg. 4.3kg/cm = 59.6oz/in)
Ooops!!! Shirking my duties!!! I was sooo busy trying to get my stupid elevator bellcrank unstuck!!! It was jammed up against front of vertical fin had to use a screwdriver and bang it out,, luckily I didn't break anything but did put a slight divit on outside of fin!! DOOH!!!! :-(,, I did get rudder servo in and hooked up to rudder,, I do have to say the combination of the aurora and that spektrum digital servo does seem extreme fast sensitive and responsive,, can't say how much is tranny and how much is servo. Centering and holding power seem so far very good time will tell though. Ill have those measurements on the 7020 wing servos this evening. So the build on this thing not going real smooth
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:18 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I don't have a Mystique, although I know I would enjoy flying one if did.

My reason for being in the thread is to assist my fellow glider guiders, especially those new to soaring. Many Mystique buyers are new to this class of glider and I just want to help them be successful. I think there are several people in this thread doing the same thing.

Also, by following the thread I learn about this plane. Based on what I have read I feel comfortable recommending the Mystique to people interested in stepping up from foam to a built up 3M e-glider for sport soaring and perhaps ALES contests. The price is excellent and the quality appears to be quite good. I would like to read more flight reports, especially from experienced soaring pilots, but the ones I have read seem pretty good.

I am VERY impressed that we have HH/Eflite representatives in the thread, That shows real commitment to the product and the customers.

Horizon/Parkzone opened up a great path to soaring with the Radian. I love my Radian.

Then they followed it with the Radian Pro to help pilots to the next step in soaring. Now we appear to have another winner in the Mystique to help pilots continue to grow in their soaring experience.

No, I don't work for Eflite, Parkzone or HH. . But I did learn to fly with a HobbyZone Aerobird which also gave me my first thermal soaring experience. So just call me a very satisfied customer.

Good job Eflite and HH. Keep 'em coming!
I agree wholeheartedly AEAJR !!! And I think I speak for ALL here we REALLY enjoy your input and help here. Although I'm not new to sailplanes,, its been awhile and when I got back into RC planes about 3 yrs ago it was all foamy electrics, and I've never owned a big full house electric. I used to look wistfully at my friends 3 meter electric back in late 90s when something like this mystique would've cost 4 times what it does now!! :-O,,, so I'm very excited to finally get the plane I sooo longed for back then. So far from what I can tell this plane promises to be a big winner for the price.theres actually. Couple of radian flyers here anxiously waiting to see my mystique fly to decide if they want one two ( the pressure is on!!) so AEAJR is right about this plane bringing ALOT more people into soaring. I for one am already thinking about my NEXT electric sailplane,, and I havnt even finished this one!!!! In future I'm thinkin maybe a E Supra??? Whatya think AEAJR ??? Or maybe full house 2meter pulsar
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:51 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
I am seriously biased toward the Supra. I am setting up an e-fuse for one of mine. If you have the bucks, you can't go wrong with a Supra

But I am more of a serious winch guy, so I am looking for a competition glider that can take the big stress of big winch lanches and the Supra shines in this department before we even talk about how wonderully it soars.

My e-gliders (6) are more my convenience gliders, when I don't want to take the time to set up the winch. I can flip the switch and launch. I lose the thrill of the winch, and the challenge of flying without a motor to fall back on, but once I power off, it is a very similar soaring experience. And I do fly them in club ALES contests.

But you don't need to spend the price of a Supra to have a wonderful soaring experience. The Mystique looks like it will be a wonderful soaring machine. Get that Mystique into the sky and work with it, explore it, tune it and learn to love it! You won't really know it until you have flown it for at least a full season or maybe two.

Find some ALES contests and go join in. Then you will REALLY learn soaring and your Mystique.

What to get to next? Well that depends on your goals.

Why do you want two? Two similar or two very different?

Competition pilots often have two matched planes, as I do, but for sport flying that may not make sense. I would look more to variety.

Radian,
Radian Pro
Mystique

Electric launched foam RES, foam full house and your "big" full house glider.

If you tend to have a lot of calm conditions, look for a lighter 3+ M plane. If it tends to be windy, maybe a heavier, windy day glider.

Slope soaring? They will all fly on the slope. Do you have one near you?

Now where to go?

Smaller?
Bigger?

Are you tied to e-gliders or do you want to try the challenge of a pure glider? Get a second fuse for the Mystique and set it up for a hi-start!

How about hand launched/DLG? There is something very personal about a DLG. They are small, easy to store and travel. No motor batteries. Launch from almost anywhere. Hand catch for landing. It is a wonderful experience! You don't have to be strong, it is more technique, but it does impose a bit more on the body so you have to consider whether you can do this.

How about Aerotow? Set up a nice scale glider to be pulled up by a power plane. THAT is a beautiful sight.

There is such a rich work of soaring before you. You are really going to love this!
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 30, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:29 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Thank you aeajr, that was an informative and well written post. I love my Radian (more than the Radian Pro) and I have a question. In conditions of minimal lift...how does the sink rate of the Radian compare to the electric Supra? One of these days I hope to be able to afford a more expensive plane. There are people who have said that a Radian is hard to beat in light lift conditions. Is that true?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:29 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Oct 2010
189 Posts
Yep, I appreciate your inputs in the forum aeajr, thanks.

You echo my thoughts about this being the perfect next step up from a foam glider. I've flown the radian pro a LOT and I wanted a step up.

Btw I've always been into warbirds and sport planes and I just bought a RP bcuz somebody told me I *had* to get it. Personally I thought I'd either get rid of it after a few flights, or it'd sit on my shelf for days when I want to fly but all my other planes were not airworthy.

All that changed when I flew the RP...cant tell you how much I loved that bird. I've flown it a lot and enjoyed a lot. And now I ordered the Mystique
coolgg is offline Find More Posts by coolgg
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Oct 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
Are you tied to e-gliders or do you want to try the challenge of a pure glider? Get a second fuse for the Mystique and set it up for a hi-start!
Great idea, I didnt think of that before. I'm going to wait for a little while and see how it goes with my electric version. If everything goes smooth I'll probably get a fuse so I can go pure glider.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:38 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Thank you aeajr, that was an informative and well written post. I love my Radian (more than the Radian Pro) and I have a question. In conditions of minimal lift...how does the sink rate of the Radian compare to the electric Supra? One of these days I hope to be able to afford a more expensive plane. There are people who have said that a Radian is hard to beat in light lift conditions. Is that true?
I've flown and owned BOTH the radian and pro,, in my experience the radian is a better thermal soarer. I had flown 3 meter and 2 meter pure sailplanes in past and wasn't expecting much first time I flew radian,, but man!!!! Was I surprised!!
And so now here I am with the mystique,, I would expect it to be quite a bit better all around soarer than radian with its greater wingspan and full trailing edge control, smoother stiffer surfaces etc,, but we'll see
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT-T View Post
i decided to run my pushrods under the wing for flaps and ailerons, no bending or whatever, and cover them with fairings.

Pat
Have you got any pics of this set up?
Sharpedge is offline Find More Posts by Sharpedge
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:16 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Ok here's actual measurements of the Spektrum 7020 digital wing servos:
On my digital scale they weigh 13grams measure 10 mm thin by 27x27 mm
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:17 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Have not flown the electric Supra yet. It will likely be about 3-5 ounces heavier, or about 5-8% heavier than the pure glider version.

Comparing a RES floater like a Radian or an AVA to a full house molded ship is hard. They are different designs and fly differently. I discuss this with other sailplane pilots in this thread.

Light vs. Legs
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post19593968

The Radian, or the AVA represent the "light" while the Supra or the Mystique would represent the "legs".

Go read the comments.

The Radian has a lighter wing loading and may have a lower sink rate, I really don't know, but I would take the Supra any day for its abiltiy to run and range to try and find that lift that the Radian could not reach.

My Supras (134" wing span) weight 58 and 64 ounces respectively or about 8.5 to 8.8 oz/sq ft. The e-Surpa will be a different fuse on the wing from the lighter one so it will be about the weight of the heavier one.

The Radian is about 6.5 oz/sq ft. Wing loading is not the only factor but it can be a general indicator of sink rate.

Read Light vs. Legs.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:02 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Have not flown the electric Supra yet. It will likely be about 3-5 ounces heavier, or about 5-8% heavier than the pure glider version.

Comparing a RES floater like a Radian or an AVA to a full house molded ship is hard. They are different designs and fly differently. I discuss this with other sailplane pilots in this thread.

Light vs. Legs
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post19593968

The Radian, or the AVA represent the "light" while the Supra or the Mystique would represent the "legs".

Go read the comments.

The Radian has a lighter wing loading and may have a lower sink rate, I really don't know, but I would take the Supra any day for its abiltiy to run and range to try and find that lift that the Radian could not reach.

My Supras (134" wing span) weight 58 and 64 ounces respectively or about 8.5 to 8.8 oz/sq ft. The e-Surpa will be a different fuse on the wing from the lighter one so it will be about the weight of the heavier one.

The Radian is about 6.5 oz/sq ft. Wing loading is not the only factor but it can be a general indicator of sink rate.

Read Light vs. Legs.
Excellent discussion AEAJR !!!! Think as many have said,, depends ALOT on pilot preference and or experience,, as you pointed out I think its more valuable to have ALOT of experience with one plane rather than a little experience with many different planes. I started flying sailplanes back in early 70's with the wood super light low Wingloading thick flatbottom airfoils,, then the newer thinner airfoils came out along with composite ships,, I found that I could fly thermals just as well and maybe better with the faster heavier ships BUT,,, they required a different flying style. For me the RES floaters were always just a little too simplistic ,, I like the challenge of figureing out best combination of mixes and camber in different types of conditions,,, another words I feel like I have more room to expand and grow with my abilities with the faster full house ships,, plus when I got a little bored flying thermals always fun to add a little reflex point the nose down pick up some speed and have some fun ( guess that comes from all my slope flying days ) but ocassionaly its fun to just relax and float around. :-)
One of craziest things I've done is participate in a sanctioned slope duration contest,, I used a very light 106in wingspan scale ship the current national record at the time was 12hours , so in 2001 in Eureka Ca, about 30 of us gathered at table bluff . It was tricky, we started at 6:00 am winds at about 8mph ,flying about 1 1/2 hours wind suddenly drops to about 4 mph ,, everybody down,, wind comes up again at 8:00 had to start all over wind in afternoon gusting to 25-30,, the floater planes couldn't handle it too well,, as where my sleek high aspect ratio wing scale ship no problem,, part of rules were no one else could take controls at all,, made for interesting times going to the bathroom
;-),,, finally it gets dark,, 8:00pm I've been flying continously now for 12hours straight, just me and one other guy, they other guys have rigged up work construction lights shining out across the slope so we can see our planes but the coverage was very limited so that the technique became fly till out of lights then quickly turn around back into lights,, SCAREY,, finally after 12.5 hours I'd broken previous record,, decided I needed to come down, was tired and it was SCAREY flying in and out of sight constantly had the guys shine all their car headlights in grassy landing area behind us so I could see to land. Landed safely,, but other guy was STILL flying!!! 20 min later he lands breaking my record. Sooo I'm 2nd best in slope duration. Still have the AMA certificate
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Oct 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Ok here's actual measurements of the Spektrum 7020 digital wing servos:
On my digital scale they weigh 13grams measure 10 mm thin by 27x27 mm
Thanks, that helps a lot.