HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:07 AM
FLY FOR FUN - GLIDE FOR LOVE
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
No, my friend ak79 i bought the mystique in my birth country "Guatemala" in my vacations because i canīt wait anymore, i īll be there until march and is a nice place to fly some days is windy some days calm, but the thermals are so big and the lift is so strong, one of my flow was for 1hour and 42 minutes and the other 2 like 1 hour 20 minutes not so bad for my first time with this beutyfull lady.
My cousin have a video i will post in the next days.
pablo pinto is offline Find More Posts by pablo pinto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:30 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo pinto View Post
Hi, i wanna show you my new Mystique and let me tell you, is so nice glider she have good speed and when you catch a thermal you can fell it, and the performance is nice and smoth so you have to drive carefully because have a fast response and when you need to land penetrates very well and is fast , do not uses too much flaps or stall easy, i flow 3 times and i used the manufacture motor e-flite 25 850 kv and with a battery 3200mah 3s i used 8 runnings of 15 seconds and 2 more for landing and iam in love with this beautyfull glider.
If you have any cuestions please letme know will be pleasure to share with you.
Nice.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,854 Posts
Maiden Success

I took advantage in the break in the cold and flew the Mystique. It has exceeded my expectations and was beautiful in the air! I was also pleased that I did not need any differential as I followed the manuals aileron settings. I also found the "thermal" deflection of 3.5mm on the flap and aileron made it a nice floater. Then I mixed 10% flaps with the elevator in thermal mode and she turns on a dime.

I also used the recommended deflections on the flap for landing (20mm) and combined it with a mix for aileron up of about 5 mm for a crow setting. Landings are very controlled and very easy as she floats in with a nice steep approach.

I love this thing!

PS I am fairly new at gliders (just have the Radian) and the CG at 107 mm was a little better for me.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:29 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
tclaridge,

Thanks for that excellent and detailed report.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:06 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I took advantage in the break in the cold and flew the Mystique. It has exceeded my expectations and was beautiful in the air! I was also pleased that I did not need any differential as I followed the manuals aileron settings. I also found the "thermal" deflection of 3.5mm on the flap and aileron made it a nice floater. Then I mixed 10% flaps with the elevator in thermal mode and she turns on a dime.

I also used the recommended deflections on the flap for landing (20mm) and combined it with a mix for aileron up of about 5 mm for a crow setting. Landings are very controlled and very easy as she floats in with a nice steep approach.

I love this thing!

PS I am fairly new at gliders (just have the Radian) and the CG at 107 mm was a little better for me.
Holy crap!!! Now I HAVE to get this thing!!! EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!
Now if my LHS would just hurry up and get these guys in,, guess ill just have to buy my new SD10G radio and start learning how to set it up for this bird while I'm waiting!!!! ;-)
How bout some videos,, more flight reports??? Thanks you guys for ones you gave though. :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Last edited by Airman74; Jan 09, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:29 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Holy crap!!! Now I HAVE to get this thing!!! EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!
Now if my LHS would just hurry up and get these guys in,, guess ill just have to buy my new SD10G radio and start learning how to set it up for this bird while I'm waiting!!!! ;-)
How bout some videos,, more flight reports??? Thanks you guys for ones you gave though. :-)
A new glider and a super radio? Now I am jeleous!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:49 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
A new glider and a super radio? Now I am jeleous!
Sorry!!! Don't mean to brag. But have flown full house sailplanes in the mid 90s with my Futaba 9c,,, always wanted to get into a good full house electric sailplane but couldn't afford it. Now I can so I'm just going to jump in all the way so to speak. Should never have sold my Futaba but this airtronics after I looked at it and played with it had me hooked with all its many well thought out features, ease of use and extreme flexibility . And now that my finances are better I can actually afford to get into a decent e sailplane, my true RC love :-),, when first got back into it again about a couple years ago I started with the little micros, then some bigger park flyer foamies,, then I tried a radian not expecting a whole lot out of a piece of foam with a motor,, but was pleasantly surprised by how well it flew,,,, but it made me want something with REAL flying performance. Been eyeing the new ALES format and Wana try that for fun. This mystique looks like a good place to start perhaps??? Something with good speed range capability with full trailing edge control,, and from videos looks it could do a little aerobatics for fun!! Right up my alley as I used to fly ALOT of slope. Later if I'm still in in,, maybe a more serious ship like an AVA or maybe even an E supra ;-)
I used to have an all hollow molded 3meter Mueller,, wow!!!! What a beautiful looking AND flying ship!!!! Sadly it was severely damaged in a mid air at the slope fully ballasted. :-(
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:11 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,082 Posts
One thing is now a good sailplane radio AND a good e sailplane are relatively cheaper than back in the 90's ,, back then the airtronics stylus was something like twice as much money as now back when I made about 1/3 as much as do now. And an electric sailplane with mystiques capabilities brushless motor lipo battery etc. would've easily cost double or more back then. So HH now offering this to the masses at my LHS with parts support is a big bonus in my book!! Kudos to HH for mass producing this plane and hopefully getting more of the mainstream flyers interested in our great sport. :-)
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,455 Posts
I hear ya, Airman. I had pretty much resigned myself to leaving the hobby after I retired and moved away from my private field. I just couldn't justify the expense on a fixed income. Then I discovered how good and cheap electric power systems had become. I had played with an electric glider back in the 1990s but those old power systems weighed a ton and really limited performance. I much preferred to fly "real" gliders with a hi-start.

I'm not even sure why I started looking at ads again but I soon realized that modern power systems don't weigh much more than the old radios and one can now buy very capable planes for less than it used to cost to build a kit. Then I discovered a perfect flying site within walking distance of my home. Now I'm back in the hobby in a big way but still within budget and I dropped 30 pounds walking over to the field as many as three times a day with various planes.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:38 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,082 Posts
I'm going to the AMA expo this Sat.,, I'm hoping to see a fully assembled mystique there, so I can see one in person . Maybe somebody there can tell me something about it. :-)
I'll report back. :-)
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:53 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I hear ya, Airman. I had pretty much resigned myself to leaving the hobby after I retired and moved away from my private field. I just couldn't justify the expense on a fixed income. Then I discovered how good and cheap electric power systems had become. I had played with an electric glider back in the 1990s but those old power systems weighed a ton and really limited performance. I much preferred to fly "real" gliders with a hi-start.

I'm not even sure why I started looking at ads again but I soon realized that modern power systems don't weigh much more than the old radios and one can now buy very capable planes for less than it used to cost to build a kit. Then I discovered a perfect flying site within walking distance of my home. Now I'm back in the hobby in a big way but still within budget and I dropped 30 pounds walking over to the field as many as three times a day with various planes.
Wow!!!!! Now THAT is what I call a win win scenario!!!! Enjoying your favorite sport and getting healthier at same time. Ya speaking of heavy!! My first e sailplane was a graupnner built up wood plane with a cheap brushed motor, it was heavy like a brick, had a sluggish climb and was only so so at thermalling ,, but I enjoyed not having the hassle of setting up and using a winch and being able to fly at several locations minutes from my house. But now with relatively cheap brushless motors and lipoly batteries all that has changed now.i call it the golden age in e sailplanes. :-)
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,455 Posts
I have always liked walking better than driving but I need somewhere to walk to.

It is indeed a great new era. My first electric was a Gaupner Uhu(?). i had 7 cell and 8 cell nicads and I seem to recall that the bigger one was 11 ounces. My first new electric sailplane, a foam 2 meter ASW 28, weighs only 18 ounces ready to fly. I also have a Specter that weighs about 28 ounces but it will climb just about out of sight in 10 seconds or so.Even electric aerobatic planes, considering that glow fuel is somewhere around $20.00 a gallon, are much better. I have a Yak54 3D that will, if I had the skill, hover for around 8 minutes per charge. I've had a couple glow planes that would have hovered if they had the control surfaces set up for it but they didn't. Now? Hovering is old hat and I don't have to listen to a loud engine. There are times that I actually wish motors made a little more noise so I could judge the power level by ear but I'm learning. But? I digress. Back in the old days they couldn't match the price or performance of birds like the Mystique.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:40 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,082 Posts
If you consider that my first high performance slope/thermal sailplane ,, the Hobie Hawk back in the 70's cost me about $250 for just the airframe,, back when I was making like $7.00/hr,,, then the mystique is like a huge bargain now. :-)
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,455 Posts
I had a Hobie Hawk too. A real marvel in its day but could be produced at less than half the weight and price today. The first time I tried to hi-start mine, with a hi-start that was fine for gliders under 2 pounds, I only got the thing up about 50 feet. At least it was fast!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:05 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Well, that settles it.

It is a great time to be flying sailplanes!

Everyone get your Mystiques together and let's go soaring!