SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:33 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000442 View Post
Well I was going the 9503 route for cost reasons, but the more I read about the dx18 and its functionality and the fact you can balance servos right from your radio was very cool. Sold my dx7s and dx6i and decided to buy this radio for all my other spektrum planes. The sailplane programming looks very good. Could I have done it cheaper? Maybe but hopefully this is the last radio I will ever need. I just did not want any regrets going with something just based on cost.
I spent hours in my LHS playing with and programming one,, IMHO ,, sailplane programming not all that intuitive or robust,, but maybe I just needed to spend more time with it,, but with the airtronics SD10G AND hitec A9 coming in at HALF the price,,, made me think twice,,, plus after spending quite a bit of time with it,,, quality and feel of radio at that price didn't quite feel up to a $800 radio,, just my 2cents
But on other hand I DO like my DX-8,,, it was mainly the sailplane programming I had issue with on DX-18,,, sometimes it pays to do some research reading manuals, playing with radios and listening to others
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:45 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,244 Posts
But ,,,,,, we're all different ,,, and,, its ALL good :-)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,945 Posts
For the folks that know JR, do you know how to get the delay to work in the camber system? I have the JR 12X and cannot get the delay to work. I got the wing to camber correctly, but the servos "snap" into place, and it sure would be nice if the delay worked. I set the delay up to 6.0 seconds, but they still snap. On all my other airplane programs, the flap delay works fine. This is my first glider program. Maybe the delay on the 12X doesn't work on the camber system?
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:22 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Why would you want the camber to be delayed, and especially over 6 seconds? Thermal camber and reflex are such small changes. When I apply them I want them now, not in 6 seconds.

As for landing flap control, on a 12X you should have complete control of the rate of applying landing flaps from the stick. You can ease them in and out at will.

I just can think of any reason or benefit for delay in camber changes.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,945 Posts
aeajr, I don't want the delay to be 6 sec, but I used the setting to see if the delay was working. You can use the monitor function to observe a slow movement of the servo channels. I usually just set the delay to about 0.5 seconds for smooth but crisp transition of camber. It is not a necessity, but I am just trying to figure out why it doesn't work on the 12X.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:43 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:19 PM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
304 Posts
DX8 SPM file

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000442 View Post
Well I was going the 9503 route for cost reasons, but the more I read about the dx18 and its functionality and the fact you can balance servos right from your radio was very cool. Sold my dx7s and dx6i and decided to buy this radio for all my other spektrum planes. The sailplane programming looks very good. Could I have done it cheaper? Maybe but hopefully this is the last radio I will ever need. I just did not want any regrets going with something just based on cost.
Thats what I thought when I bought my DX8 about 9 month ago. Now that I have the Mystique, my DX8 is starting to look obsolete. LOL. I want to make the DX8 work with this sailplane.
Having said that, has anyone tried using the Mystique SPM file for the DX8 on the E-Flite site. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...5#quickSupport

or Horizonhobby. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...5#quickSupport

I taken a break as my head is spinning right now from trying to setup up the servos on this sailplane.
Has anyone tried the above files for a DX8.

Thanks in advance
dangerdan is online now Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:02 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
If I may ask, what about the DX8 is falling short?

The reason I ask is because those who are new to sailplanes can sometimes get a little over stressed about having every possible option when, in fact this is not necessary. It may not even be desirable.

I know I have posted this before but in the interest of trying to be helpful I again say, unless you plan to be a very serious competition sailplane pilot, you can fly a Mystique on non-sailplane radios. You can even fly it on a 5 channel standard radio that has no mixing at all and have flap based camber and reflex and landing flaps. Certainly the sailplane radios do a better job, offer more options and make it easier to set-up, but .... well my point is made.

On a DX8 you should be able to get a very satisfactory set-up going based on the Radian Pro templates. If they have a Mystique template, even better. It may not be as extensive or as easy as you could do on an Airtronics SD10G, JR 9503, Futaba 8FG. DX18 or an Aurora 9, but it should be more than adequate for sport flying and casual contest flying.

I am all for buying sailplane radios and would never suggest anyone should not buy a new radio, so don't let me discourage anyone. I just hate to see people get stressed over things that maybe are not that big of a deal for sport and casual contest flying.
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 02, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
I couldn't agree more, aeajr. I think that people get caught up on what is available and confuse it with what is a necessity. Now that I'm living on a fixed income I need to squeeze every penny until old Abe yelps so, if my $60.00 Turnigy 9x hadn't worked out, I would be flying with an ancient 72mhz Futaba 6 channel that has no mixing whatsoever. Of course, were that the case, I would be looking at sailplanes with spoilers rather than flaps but one needs to be flying at a pretty high level before one really suffers from a lack of functions.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan View Post
Thats what I thought when I bought my DX8 about 9 month ago. Now that I have the Mystique, my DX8 is starting to look obsolete. LOL. I want to make the DX8 work with this sailplane.
Having said that, has anyone tried using the Mystique SPM file for the DX8 on the E-Flite site. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...5#quickSupport

or Horizonhobby. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...5#quickSupport

I taken a break as my head is spinning right now from trying to setup up the servos on this sailplane.
Has anyone tried the above files for a DX8.

Thanks in advance
The file worked fine for me and I am not a sailplane pro at all. You will have to understand which mixes do what by working thru each of them with the plane powered up (NO PROP) so you can see what happens when you change the values. Are you sure you have the servos plugged into the correct channels??
I probably spent at least an hour doing this and setting the throws to spec. Good luck. It will work.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:46 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
Ok Ed you said- You can even fly it on a 5 channel standard radio that has no mixing at all and have flap based camber and reflex and landing flaps.
HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SET IT UP!
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Simple. Just put the motor on a switch and the flaps on the throttle stick. It's not my favorite setup but it works.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:56 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
Interesting!!
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:18 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
If I may ask, what about the DX8 is falling short?

The reason I ask is because those who are new to sailplanes can sometimes get a little over stressed about having every possible option when, in fact this is not necessary. It may not even be desirable.

I know I have posted this before but in the interest of trying to be helpful I again say, unless you plan to be a very serious competition sailplane pilot, you can fly a Mystique on non-sailplane radios. You can even fly it on a 5 channel standard radio that has no mixing at all and have flap based camber and reflex and landing flaps. Certainly the sailplane radios do a better job, offer more options and make it easier to set-up, but .... well my point is made.

On a DX8 you should be able to get a very satisfactory set-up going based on the Radian Pro templates. If they have a Mystique template, even better. It may not be as extensive or as easy as you could do on an Airtronics SD10G, JR 9503, Futaba 8FG. DX18 or an Aurora 9, but it should be more than adequate for sport flying and casual contest flying.

I am all for buying sailplane radios and would never suggest anyone should not buy a new radio, so don't let me discourage anyone. I just hate to see people get stressed over things that maybe are not that big of a deal for sport and casual contest flying.
Having myself going from a non sailplane radio to a sailplane radio way back in the 72mhz days I CAN say it absolutely can be done,,, but ,, if you can or want to buy one ,, a sailplane radio SURE can make things ALOT easier and really expand ones flying capabilities on a full house sailplane. Is it necessary no,, is it ALOT nicer ?? YES!!! I never flew contests,, but it sure was Alot nicer with a full house sailplane like the mystique
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:28 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,244 Posts
For those that MIGHT be interested,, A Main hobbies is selling the 10ch airtronics SD10G for $359 including a 7ch receiver plus if you use coupon code CALPNOV1225
You can get $25 off of that for a grand total of $334,,, a bargin for a full on sailplane radio like that. :-)