Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Capable? I think so.

Might be at a disadvantage on those no wind, no lift days. But under most conditions it will probably do fine.
Ya that's what i was thinkin,,, on real light days would not be a floater,, but possibly not too bad with some camber???
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,506 Posts
I think you're right about "dead air". As much as it might pain us to admit it, it would be very hard to beat a Radian for simply staying aloft the longest from 200m. Although, at the risk of going waaaay off topic, I wonder if some of the golden age free flight designs with modern electronics and a little tweaking of airfoils wouldn't make fantastic ALES gliders in dead air. I had a couple that would do about 5 minutes after a 10 second engine run that got them nowhere near 200m. And they had landing gears and fixed props!

Back to the Mystique... a 3 meter sailplane can "float" at a much higher wing loading than a 2 meter. That's where wing volume, as opposed to area, really starts making itself known. All things being equal; a 3 meter sailplane with a 12 oz. per square foot wing loading might out float a smaller sailplane with a much lighter wing loading. We just haven't seen head-to-head comparisons so we can only theorize about the Mystique at this point. And that's half the fun.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,165 Posts
This is a sport grade 3M full house glider. It will allow you to enter into ALES contests and give you the opportunity to place high or even win. But let's not delude ourselves. The high end molded planes are what you see at serious glider contests and there is a reason for that. They fly better than built up wings or foam wings or even bagged wings. But at $1000 to $3000 they don't fly 3 to 10 times better.

So build the Mystique and go fly. Enter the ALES contests and work on your skills. Remember that it is the pilot, not the plane, that wins the contest. So when that moldie shows up next to you at an ALES contest, don't be intimidated.

They all go up in lift! Go find the lift and you will make your time.

They all land. Practice your landings and you will score high.

Practice is far more important than a 10% difference in wing loading.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
This is a sport grade 3M full house glider. It will allow you to enter into ALES contests and give you the opportunity to place high or even win. But let's not delude ourselves. The high end molded planes are what you see at serious glider contests and there is a reason for that. They fly better than built up wings or foam wings or even bagged wings. But at $1000 to $3000 they don't fly 3 to 10 times better.

So build the Mystique and go fly. Enter the ALES contests and work on your skills. Remember that it is the pilot, not the plane, that wins the contest. So when that moldie shows up next to you at an ALES contest, don't be intimidated.

They all go up in lift! Go find the lift and you will make your time.

They all land. Practice your landings and you will score high.

Practice is far more important than a 10% difference in wing loading.

Agreed, the thing I'd be worried about is buying a Moldie then getting beat by a Mystique. Would be Long drive home wondering if the extra $2500 was worth it.
DeadServo is offline Find More Posts by DeadServo
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadServo View Post
Agreed, the thing I'd be worried about is buying a Moldie then getting beat by a Mystique. Would be Long drive home wondering if the extra $2500 was worth it.
I fly with a LOT of pilots who would beat my electric Supra with a Mystique. They are better at finding and working lift than I am. And they land better than I do.

If this will concern you, then don't fly contests. But I say, forget that. Go, enjoy, and learn, learn learn. If you have a moldie and he is flying a Mystique, go learn how he beat you. It won't be the difference in plane, it will be the difference in pilot.

How did he find the lift that you missed? How does he set up for a landing? You will become a much better pilot and you may be surprised to see how willing the competitors are to share their technique.

But, yes, the plane does matter. It is just a smaller part of the whole than the pilot on the sticks.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,439 Posts
Continuing on with what aeajr is speaking of read the article on page 51 of the January issue of RCSD.

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Continuing on with what aeajr is speaking of read the article on page 51 of the January issue of RCSD.

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/

Curtis
Thanks for that great link Curtis. As a newbie I found many great articles dating back to 1984
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:12 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,165 Posts
RC Soaring Digest is a wonderful magazine written by soaring enthusiasts for soaring enthusiasts. As far as I know it is the only one that remains.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:00 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,109 Posts
Back in early 90s I had an all composite electric sailplane,, it had a 91 in wingspan had a brushed motor and was powered by ni cads,, it had a S 3021 airfoil, same as mystique. It soared fairly well considering how heavy it was 52oz. I was really impressed with the range of capabilities of the S 3021 back then,, it soared pretty well, sloped well ,fast to slow. So I'm anticipating this bigger more lightly wingloaded mystique to do quite a bit better. I'm personally thinking this plane will help get me back into the swing of things so to speak with a good full house electric,, my composite electric back then only had REA
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:21 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,109 Posts
So informal poll here ,, if you were getting your first sailplane radio and your choices were :
Hitec A9, ATX SD10G, or JR 9503,, which one would you chose and why??
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:25 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,165 Posts
If I had no prior radios, no prior receivers and had a strong focus on flying sailplanes I would get the Airtronics SD10G based on so many glowing recommendations from competition sailplane pilots who I know personally. It is also an excellent radio for all kinds of other flying.

If I cared about Spektrum compatibility I would get the JR 9503. An excellent sailplane radio that is extremely popular with competition sailplane pilots. It is fully Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX compatible so you have access to the cool Horizon Hobby BnF planes. Also, there are low cost DSM2 compatible receivers available

The JR 9503 is probably more complex to program than the SD10G but after a while you can learn to use any of them. There are a huge number of these and the prior generation JR 9303s in the market so lots of help in set-up.
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 31, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:57 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,109 Posts
Well seeing how I already have a DX-8 for all the bnf stuff,, at this point I'm leaning heavily in direction of the SD10G,,, especially since I can get it heavily discounted at my LHS ( A main hobbies ) for about $335 including the 7ch receiver. Everything everybody seems to be saying about it seems right up my alley,, easy to understand and logical programming, extreme flexibility great link AND a good price. When I'm down at AMA convention ill have to check it out along with the mystique ( I have yet to see one ) and some of the other E sailplanes from Esprit and soaring USA. :-)
Would you guys go with reccomended components or would you go with different stuff??
On the mystique that is

Thanks. Jerry
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:05 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Well seeing how I already have a DX-8 for all the bnf stuff,, at this point I'm leaning heavily in direction of the SD10G,,, especially since I can get it heavily discounted at my LHS ( A main hobbies ) for about $335 including the 7ch receiver. Everything everybody seems to be saying about it seems right up my alley,, easy to understand and logical programming, extreme flexibility great link AND a good price. When I'm down at AMA convention ill have to check it out along with the mystique ( I have yet to see one ) and some of the other E sailplanes from Esprit and soaring USA. :-)
Would you guys go with reccomended components or would you go with different stuff??
On the mystique that is

Thanks. Jerry
I am sure you will enjoy it!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:36 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Oct 2004
29 Posts
Being in the same situation I went for an as-new secondhand JR - but being in Aus though it was a JR DSX9 which I believe is your 9503!? (another reason for going with the JR is that just about everyone here seems to use them hence plenty of people know how to programme them at the field if required)
nadg63 is offline Find More Posts by nadg63
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Well I was going the 9503 route for cost reasons, but the more I read about the dx18 and its functionality and the fact you can balance servos right from your radio was very cool. Sold my dx7s and dx6i and decided to buy this radio for all my other spektrum planes. The sailplane programming looks very good. Could I have done it cheaper? Maybe but hopefully this is the last radio I will ever need. I just did not want any regrets going with something just based on cost.
S2000442 is offline Find More Posts by S2000442