HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
I wasn't clear. I should have said to add the weight to get the right CG.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:59 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,457 Posts
Attention Aussie buyers - setting up a Mystique?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1684
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:13 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan View Post
Its tail heavy and I thought that was a bad thing..
Tail heavy as compared to the specs or tail heavy based on how it flies? In general, tail heavy is bad, but that is based on how it flies, not on specs.

SETTING THE CG

This has been mentioned before but is worth repeating. The starting CG setting on most gliders is a recommendation, not a law. That CG setting should get you safely into the sky. Then you tune.

My experience with most gliders is that the "stock" CG is a bit more forward than I prefer. But I still start from that point. It is best to work the CG back, over many flights, to get the best trim. What will work for me may be too rearward for you.

People post their CG settings, but if it is rearward of the stock CG, and you are not an experienced glider pilot, you may not want to start that far back. Just a thought.

I have flown gliders of very accomplished pilots were the CG is so far back I found it hard to fly the glider, but they loved it there. I have flown other contest gliders where the aircraft seemed nose heavy to me, but they beat me with that glider every day of the week because that is what worked for them.

Start with the specs, but leave room to adjust, usually rearward. If you put lead in the nose or tail to get the stock CG, leave some of it as easily removeable so you can tune the CG based on flight performance or based on your personal preferences.

If you are set up for electric flight and have several battery packs, weigh them. If your battery pack is not right on the CG, you may need to strap on some lead to even them out.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:34 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,931 Posts
It was a surprise to me that the recommended C/G was so far aft. I've never owned an aircraft with the recommended C/G in that position. As you said, after that it is trial and error to find what works for you. Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Tail heavy as compared to the specs or tail heavy based on how it flies? In general, tail heavy is bad, but that is based on how it flies, not on specs.

SETTING THE CG

This has been mentioned before but is worth repeating. The starting CG setting on most gliders is a recommendation, not a law. That CG setting should get you safely into the sky. Then you tune.

My experience with most gliders is that the "stock" CG is a bit more forward than I prefer. But I still start from that point. It is best to work the CG back, over many flights, to get the best trim. What will work for me may be too rearward for you.

People post their CG settings, but if it is rearward of the stock CG, and you are not an experienced glider pilot, you may not want to start that far back. Just a thought.

I have flown gliders of very accomplished pilots were the CG is so far back I found it hard to fly the glider, but they loved it there. I have flown other contest gliders where the aircraft seemed nose heavy to me, but they beat me with that glider every day of the week because that is what worked for them.

Start with the specs, but leave room to adjust, usually rearward. If you put lead in the nose or tail to get the stock CG, leave some of it as easily removeable so you can tune the CG based on flight performance or based on your personal preferences.

If you are set up for electric flight and have several battery packs, weigh them. If your battery pack is not right on the CG, you may need to strap on some lead to even them out.
This statement makes sense to me. I will work on it and see how it goes. Start with the specs, but leave room to adjust, usually rearward. If you put lead in the nose or tail to get the stock CG, leave some of it as easily removeable so you can tune the CG based on flight performance or based on your personal preferences.

Thanks aeajr
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,765 Posts
Good Camber Settings

I need help with the correct camber settings. The manual is confusing and first shows:
Speed: 1 mm up TE
Cruise: 1mm down TE
Thermal: 3.5 mm down TE

Then the next paragraph gives:
Cruise: neutral TE
Thermal: 1 mm down TE

So the Speed is the same in both references, but which setting is better for Cruise and Thermal?
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:59 AM
Axle209
Sacramento
Joined Jan 2006
295 Posts
I was surprises to learn that E flight are out of stock on suggested props (march delivery date)? I wonder how they think can sell this plane without props in stock? Do any of you know of different prop to use with eflight .25 motor.

Thanks
Axle209 is offline Find More Posts by Axle209
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I need help with the correct camber settings. The manual is confusing and first shows:
Cruise: 1mm down TE
Thermal: 3.5 mm down TE

Then the next paragraph gives:
Cruise: neutral TE
Thermal: 1 mm down TE

So the Speed is the same in both references, but which setting is better for Cruise and Thermal?

Speed/reflex looks good. Use that.

Hopefully someone from HH will jump in but here is what I would do.

I think the first one is a missprint. Probably an editing error during the development of the manual.

Cruise is normally neutral surfaces. I would use that.

Thermal - 3.5 mm down could be the right setting for this airfoil for thermal. 1 mm seems too small. When I don't have a spec I usually use 2-3 mm down for thermal. I would go with 3.5 mm down.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
pm sent.
ozsnowy is offline Find More Posts by ozsnowy
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:40 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,457 Posts
PM received and replied to. Cheers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
Mind if I ask why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
PM received and replied to. Cheers.
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,457 Posts
Why what?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
You started this thread, I was just wondering what made you decide to sell your stuff?, and I know you don't owe anyone any reason Just curious that's all!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:18 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,457 Posts
Hi mertz,

No problem at all asking. Yes I did start this thread and I follow it daily. I am a little disappointed that here in Australia, we have not seen the Mystique ship, not a single unit. The ETA keeps changing. I am impatient I guess. Perhaps justified.

Also, I am funding some more immediate multi-rotor FPV projects and needed some cash to keep that going.

I am still very fond of the Mystique and like I say, follow this thread with great interest. I will get one, just not within the next few months.

Cheers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
I was wondering if it was due to availability issues. Just watch now you'll be able to buy one after you've sold all your stuff. That is how my luck works!
Have a good New Years!