HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
The manual appears to be very good. Looks like an excellent guide for the first time ARF builder. url]http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Files/EFL4905-Manual.pdf[/url]

On page 8 they provide a list of recommended servos and parts. Good as starting points even if you want to put in your own stuff or other brands.

Funny that they list the DX6i and DX8 as recommended radios and not DX7 or 7s. There is no reason for this and the 7 or 7s would be a better choice than the 6i. Clearly they don't want to scare the guy with the beginner radio. You could use the Radian Pro templates to do the set-up on these radios.

10-15 hours build time leaves plenty of time for study and checking things. An experienced assembler of ARFs will have this one in 4-8 hours ( not counting glue set time), especially if you know how to work on one thing while the glue is drying on another.

It will remain to be seen how she balances out and where glider pilots will REALLY want the CG.

The one thing I would change in the manual is that they suggest, for a pure glider, that the nose cone be filled with lead and glued on. THEN you balance. If you over weight the nose they suggest you add weight to the tail. This works, but adds excessive weight. I would fill the nose as suggested, but tape it on so it can be removed and excess lead removed from the nose to reduce weight as much as possible.

There is a tow hook included, so hi-start launching is clearly contemplated. No warnings about winch launching that I can find so far.

Typically the instructions suggest a conservative CG, but contest pilots tend to push that back.

I would LOVE to get my hands on one to review as a pure glider, then convert it to electric. However I would imagine the real target market is e-gliders. But I am glad they set it so it could be built both ways.

If they are smart, they will have a PNP version out within 6 months. Add receiver and battery and off you go. If they can keep it under $500 with an ALES grade climb they could have a winner!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 23, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Did some quick estimates with the e-flite power 25 suggested, using WebOCalc.

With 3S lipo and 14X7 prop I come up with 42 amps for 100 watts/pound which is great! Top speed of 46 mph. Thurst estimate is about 64 ounces. I used 72 ounces as estimated weight. (4.5 pounds) . Predicted climb angle is 60 degrees.

Great motor for sport e-glider. Might not make it for ALES. Someone with better tools, please run the numbers.

On an 2200 25+C pack should get about 3-3.5 minutes full throttle. More than enough for 5-6 full climbs or up to 10 partial climbs for 45 to 60 minutes of thermal soaring on a pack. That one pack would probably give you 5-8 hours air time at the slope with little or no motor run.
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 23, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:08 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,608 Posts
Horizon shows to be out of stock.
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
Horizon shows to be out of stock.
That's because it was just announced and has never been IN stock...

They are taking Pre-Orders currently. Order now... you'll be on the list... just after me...
Darin Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Darin Jordan
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,380 Posts
Radian Pro is a gateway drug

I picked up a Radian Pro last year on a whim. As a 3D pilot for planes and heli's I was looking for something to relax with and enjoy some occasional thermal hunting. I was surprised by how addictive looking for free lift can be. It opened my eyes to another area of flight that I had thought boring. On booming thermals the RP is a treat. On lighter lift days it's tough to detect lift and stay in it.

I looked at higher performance gliders but I was stopped in my tracks by two requirements, money and previous building knowledge. ARF's in this field are usually left in a state of build that allows builders with more choices on setup. This translates to severe intimidation for someone that is not 100% sure on my building skills. Combine that with high prices and its a one-two punch on Not getting into the next level.

This plane addresses that for me.

Anyone want a lightly used Radian Pro?
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Last edited by ducatirdr; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
Highstart used was Hobby lobby up to 3m rubber, it's the second strongest they use. I used 50' of rubber and 100' of mono.
It's much stronger than a Gentle Lady.
I will be competing with one at Visalia in the ALES class using the stock recommendations.

Pete
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
It is addictive, ducatirdr.

I've flown all kinds of planes over 40 years but I always come back to sailplanes. Powered planes are fun when the club gets together and there's someone to try and match or top but I especially love sailplanes when flying in solitude; just me and the occasional soaring bird to share a thermal with.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:21 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
691 Posts
This plane looks great. I have a Radian and really like how relaxing it is compared to my other planes.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:26 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
You also need to look at DLG. Between ALES and DLG, my other planes rarely see daylight....
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Aug 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamJR98 View Post
I will be competing with one at Visalia in the ALES class using the stock recommendations.

Pete
Awesome, Pete...

When doing the ALES, I'm assuming that you have to run a limiting switch... Can you (or anyone here) point me to the source for these??
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
To also need to look at DLG.
I'd love to see that too...

At some of our Boat races, between rounds, some of the guys play around with their DLG planes and it's quite intriguing to watch. That's what got me interested in this Sailplane niche initially...
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:22 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
There are 3-5 different models of limiter switches that have been used together. The kind that I have is from here...

http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

The ALES area of the forum ...http://www.rcgroups.com/altitude-lim...ring-ales-770/... is where most of the detailed information is archived. I don't want to derail this thread too far ... but it will be a while before this beauty is in the retail channels.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
Awesome, Pete...

When doing the ALES, I'm assuming that you have to run a limiting switch... Can you (or anyone here) point me to the source for these??
Our club has standardized on the Soaring Circuits CAM unit. Very easy to use and very reliable. We did two club buys on these. I think we have about 20 of them in the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamJR98 View Post
Highstart used was Hobby lobby up to 3m rubber, it's the second strongest they use. I used 50' of rubber and 100' of mono.
It's much stronger than a Gentle Lady.

Pete
Outstanding!!!!

I presume you have tested the stock set-up for ALES. Are you making 200 in 30 seconds or less?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Aug 2011
190 Posts
Nice looking sailplane & very useful assembly manual as regards how to put together a full house E glider.

I am curious about a couple of things -

(a) Why the construction has followed a glass fuse/built up wood wing approach, ilo the East European free flight influenced carbon fiber tube fuse with wings that are primarily balsa ribs slid on to carbon fiber tubes. (One example is the Pegasus 2E)

Although the answer may be 'cost', examining the Mystique's wing photos suggests that a lot of building has gone on in there with cross bracing & so on, whereas the Pegasus wing looks relatively simple to assemble during manufacture, by comparison.

(b) Where is it manufactured??

G2
Gemini2 is offline Find More Posts by Gemini2
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Now we need to get one up on a winch!