And a cottage industry is born....
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:11 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
313 Posts
E-Flite Power 32

What is it about bashing, err, I mean "personalizing" a new ARF?

My Mystique now sports a new cf firewall to make room for the Power 32. I'll post pictures once the epoxy cures.
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
And a cottage industry is born....
I'll buy 2!
SmokeyRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SmokeyRobinson
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:32 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
I'd like a canopy, too.

Rick N
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:00 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
We flew ours today and its awesome. Flies really smooth but can stand to have some mixing done on the radio...
N227CT is offline Find More Posts by N227CT
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:46 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
Apparently the Mystique is due to hit Australian shores this weekend... those of us who have one on order are anxiously awaiting their arrival...

timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:09 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
313 Posts
Ready to fly

80oz with 3s 4500mA 45C lipo
75oz with 3s 2200mA 60C lipo

760watts

E-Flite Power-32 brushless motor
Castle Creations Phoenix 80A ESC
Castle Creations 10A switching BEC
14.5x9.5 CAM folding prop and turbo cooling spinner

80oz with 3s 2200mA lipo and JVC Adixxion HD1080p video camera
86oz with 3s 4500mA lipo and Adixxion camera
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Nov 05, 2012 at 05:20 AM. Reason: 150w/lb.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:49 PM
USA, GA, Jesup
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Shaft on motor

Aeajr

Thanks for the great tip on using a deep socket and a bench vise to adjust the motor shaft. It worked like a charm and saved me a lot of aggravation. I was about to reach for a hammer!

Bob
bobinjesup is offline Find More Posts by bobinjesup
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:12 PM
USA, GA, Jesup
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Aileron linkage

OK major frustruation.

I cannot get the aileron linkages set up correctly. I've bent the linkage rod but it's almost impossible to get the linkages attached to both ends and get the appropriate throws. The design problem appears to be the angle from the servo arm to the control horn, aggravated by the brace at the rear of the servo opening.
Otherwise, it's been a delight to build.

I'm thinking that I can mount the servo to the cover (Exactly per the instructions) but use a longer arm and have the servo arm come out of the cover (After cutting an appropriate slot sorta like the slot that the flap cover already has but doesn't need!). Essentially, I'd be flipping the servo arm 180 degrees and the control rod would end up being parallel to the bottom of the wing rather than at an angle.

By moving the rod end from inside the wing to outside the servo cover, I'll eliminate the sharp angle and allow easier setup. I can still use the 20 degree offset to get differential ailerons with this setup.

Other than a bit more drag and a bit more ugly, am I missing some issue?

Thanks for comments.

Bob
bobinjesup is offline Find More Posts by bobinjesup
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:52 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
313 Posts
Those aileron and flap links were my only issues as well. I had to do some gnarly bends to the rods.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Nov 05, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Ditto on the wing pushrods. I joggled the aileron rods and moved the flap control to the lower wing with a longer horn, using the already cut slot in the cover. This way I can get at least sixty deg flap travel.
EK
ekletke is offline Find More Posts by ekletke
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
Guys, in the coming weeks we plan to put together a construction video to help with some of the challenges you are facing. I checked the linkages on the ones I have built and none have any bends. If it’s your first time installing internal linkages I can completely understand your challenges.. A small suggestion that may help is to load the clevis on one side only, the servo side, then put the pushrod through the exit hole. Now it’s a simple matter of winding on the external clevis to the desired length.
Obviously this was an oversight on my behalf on the complexity of this procedure, having done many sailplanes prior myself it's an easy trap to fall into thinking everybody knows how to do this.
As for flap angle, it was set at 20deg intentionally and the mechanical limits that you are seeing were intentional. The reason for this is most pilots new to using flap for landing a sailplane forget to retract the flaps on touch. Understanding this we decided to limit the flap travel to prevent the flaps being lowered to far and damaging the wing on touch down. At the recommended 20deg of flap, you can land with the flaps down and not damage them or the wing. If you need or want more flap travel you may have to bend pushrods, or extend the opening however I have no testing on this to share with you.
Glad to see your all enjoying the flying characteristics of the model and I do enjoy reading your experiences.
Please keep the questions coming and I will do my best to answer them.

Kind regards

Pete
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor