HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
My flap linkages are binding also. I am going to try rotating the servo arm more. The book calls for an offset from center, I am going to try one more tooth on the servo. If that doesn't work I will try plan B.
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Which way? Do you intend to move the arm toward the leading edge (increase the angle) or back (decrease the angle)? I set mine to the specified 20 degrees.

RickN
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
I spent some time making up a multiplex connector for my flap and aileron servos. Now i can't get them mixed up anymore!
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
My aileron servos seem pretty happy but I do have some binding on my flaps. I think that the connector at the servo is hitting the post but its hard to tell. I may try moving the servo arm toward the trailing edge by one or two splines.
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Which way? Do you intend to move the arm toward the leading edge (increase the angle) or back (decrease the angle)? I set mine to the specified 20 degrees.
Not sure yet Rick. I just completed the build, now I am waiting for a cup of coffee and then I will sit down and take a look at the wings.

I was really impressed at how well a little glue stick holds the elevator sections on!
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlMalone View Post
My aileron servos seem pretty happy but I do have some binding on my flaps. I think that the connector at the servo is hitting the post but its hard to tell. I may try moving the servo arm toward the trailing edge by one or two splines.
Just starting to test fit some of the hardware. Yes the flap mechanics and linkage don't look like they will do the job. Plan B. I'm thinking my flap drive is going to be on the bottom of the wing as I'm sure I'll want 3 times the suggested flap travel of 25 degrees. Has anyone figured out the wing section? Mine measured about 9.25% thick with measurable undercamber. Does not seem like the thicker almost flat bottom S 3021, or is the SD3021 labled on the box something new?

EK
ekletke is offline Find More Posts by ekletke
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Meadow Vista
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Are you guys having issues with the flap or aileron servos or both?
BOTH

Rick (2)
PrimeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PrimeFlyer
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeFlyer View Post
Question: The instructions say to use glue stick to secure the stabilizer rods to the stabilizer.
I'm wondering what is wrong with using EPOXY and NOT having the stabilizer removable. In the event of a damaging to the stab, just replace the stabilizer. The overall width of the stab is about 32 inches. I can live with that. I'm new to gliders and would appreciate your input.
Rick number 2
Plusses to removeable Stab -

Easy to store and transport
Much less likely to damage the stab getting it out of the house
Easy to fix or repair damaged parts

Negative to Removeable Stab

Makes some pilots nervous
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:56 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
313 Posts
Flap servo reversing

I am setting my Flap servos to use a Y-harness. All I need to do is mod one of the servos (HS-82MG) to run in reverse.

Here is the proceedure for Hitec servos I found.
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/OTW/o...oReversing.pdf

Now I will be able to adjust camber/flaps using the Aux1 channel and its 3-position switch and trim button. Skipping the need for an extra channel on the rx
DeadstickDuck is online now Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck View Post
I am setting my Flap servos to use a Y-harness. All I need to do is mod one of the servos (HS-82MG) to run in reverse.

Now I will be able to adjust camber/flaps using the Aux1 channel and its 3-position switch and trim button. Skipping the need for an extra channel on the rx
Pretty cool article.

QUESTION: I understand why they did not want to solder on the SMT, but why did they cut the wires to the motor? It looks like it would have been simpler to de-solder the connection of the wires right on top of the motor and then switch them. Is there some reason to not mess with that connection?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
532 Posts
Quote:

DX8? You are running the motor on the throttle stick?
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
313 Posts
DX7, and this is my first glider in 20 years. I'm used to the throttle stick for power.

Yes, I agree. I'd just solder them myself..... Guess there are people who do not trust their hands and molten lava!
DeadstickDuck is online now Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Oct 27, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: soldering
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
DX7, and this is my first glider in 20 years. I'm used to the throttle stick for power.
The DX7 or 8 just doesn't have enough mixes for a powered full house glider. If I remember correctly from the radian pro thread, u have to give up a camber/reflex or crow.

Of the Spektrum radios only the DX10 and DX18 have dedicated sailplane type n mixing.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
The DX7 or 8 just doesn't have enough mixes for a powered full house glider. If I remember correctly from the radian pro thread, u have to give up a camber/reflex or crow.

Of the Spektrum radios only the DX10 and DX18 have dedicated sailplane type n mixing.
Not so! I use a DX8 and have camber, reflex and crow.
eagle1960 is online now Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
532 Posts
Dbl post