HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Let's face it, SH. Even the best and biggest companies miss a few things with new releases and instruction manuals are harder than we might think. There are also bound to be areas where the beta testers did things a bit different and the info didn't make it in before release. It seems to me that any ARF is going to have some things we would do differently. Some hardware we wouldn't choose. We also have to remember that chances are no inexperienced modelers had assembled one before the first boxes hit the shelves and doorsteps. It certainly doesn't sound like there are glaring flaws or any assembly quirks someone with a few builds can't handle.

I still remember my dismay when I realized my dream P-39 packed all the "instructions" into a half dozen line drawings and about 15 lines of script tucked into a nice little 11X5" strip in the corner of the plan sheet. In those days they figured that, if we had the audacity to think we could turn 20 pounds of raw balsa into a 7 pound flying work of art, they weren't going to insult us by telling us how!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Peter
Nicely put. These instructions are little below par from what we expect from e flight, but look at this bird it's beautifull. Wanna be handheld get a parkzone .
Randy
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Several posts ago I posted a 'reference mark'. This was to signify a more-or-less starting point (read the few posts just preceding that 'mark' where all the little 'nags' start showing up) -- and before it progresses beyond the point we're at now, I'll jump back in here with 'my point'.

We've seen nothing but glowing remarks made by those who've flown this new plane, with an apology here & there for something not characterized properly in the documentation etc. Everyone here is aware of the first announcements of the Mystique, and how long the time until they started shipping. It was a pretty good spell. Point is, seems there would've been plenty of time to check the documentation and fit of the components. After all, someone HAD to've assembled the planes the 'company' guys were flying before they were ever released, right? One has to kind've wonder who, & why the discrepancies weren't discovered, fixed and documentation revised before release. We've heard a lot of 'bragging' (for lack of a better word) about the quality & care that went into this bird.....but when it comes down to it, seems a bit all too typical considering all the preliminary hype about the plane & the praise heaped upon the issuer as a company.

Hype vs circumstantive ill fortune? Each can weigh and decide on his or her own -- but this plane I so wanted at first, much because of all the fine things I was hearing about it (notably, from those who were selling it).....wel-l-l-l-lll, let's just say this cherry has soured a bit at this point. Glad now I took 'wait & see' over 'pre-order'.

Bracing for the blast.

Yes, but mine is flying, so it couldn't be that bad.

Seriously, I agree. Horizon usually provides much better manuals than this.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
Well mine is ready to test fly. I found this build to be pretty easy with a few difficult spots as previously noted but wow, I only started it late last week. :-)
The JR 11x manual is far more nebulous in setting up a full house electric sailplane but I've managed to wade through that as well.
I used Hitec hs-82mg servos in the wings and hs-225s for the ele and rudder.
Maiden flights soon I hope....
Let's soar!
Carl
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
When I set the throws last night, I saw that the servo links are binding, especially in the wing. Anybody else seen this?

Rick
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
438 Posts
Keepers

Very bad in mine as well. I even popped off two servos from their epoxy bonds to the covers (which I just gave up and CA'd them with medium rubberized CA)..... while setting up the linkages.

Also find the wing-to-fuse alignment pins to be slightly off on the rear pins, too tight of a fit IMHO. And thirdly, the black keepers are complete junk

Just little things, but the kit is a great bargain and I'm very satisfied
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:46 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Have you decided on a fix? I'm thinking of making the opening a little bigger . . .

Rick
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:10 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
438 Posts
Since there is a hood that covers up the hole, might as well take advantage and enlarging the hole.
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Would keeping the servo arms longer help?
Randy
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:29 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
Would keeping the servo arms longer help?
Randy
You can't. If they are any longer, they will not fit in the wing.

Rick
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:29 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck View Post
Since there is a hood that covers up the hole, might as well take advantage and enlarging the hole.
Slowly and carefully. Thanks.

Rick
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:52 AM
United States, CA, Meadow Vista
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Yes, I had to elongate each of the holes for the linkage in the wings because of binding.

I think someone at HH should go out to the warehouse, bring back a Mystique and try to build it. There are too many people experiencing the SAME problems. I am sure they want to fix this.
Rick(2)
PrimeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PrimeFlyer
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:00 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Are you guys having issues with the flap or aileron servos or both?
vhuang168 is offline Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:08 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeFlyer View Post
Yes, I had to elongate each of the holes for the linkage in the wings because of binding.

I think someone at HH should go out to the warehouse, bring back a Mystique and try to build it. There are too many people experiencing the SAME problems. I am sure they want to fix this.
Rick(2)
What I said about wonderiing who built the planes for the HH guys that've flown them, & the disconnect with whomever wrote the book. Ya think?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:13 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Are you guys having issues with the flap or aileron servos or both?
Both - the flaps bind more than the ailerons on my plane. I can hear the servos buzzing.

Rick