HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
I maidened my MYSTIQUE this morning at our Louisville Area Soaring Society (LASS) Sunday fly in but not without serious help from Gordy (Soar) Stahl. I had neglected to reverse the elevator, the ailerons, and the throttle. Had I tried to solo the pane alone, disaster would have taken place. It took ten throws to get the trim to give us a 400 foot glide from a small knoll. For a big plane with some heft to her, she floated beautifully. The launch with the power 25 (870kv) and stock prop was almost vertical. I need to add some elevator down with the throttle. With some more trimming at 100 yards altitude, the handling was similar to my Radian Pro but nicer. Turns with the ailerons with about 35% rudder added in gave the plane good axis control.
I agree with NewRC above about the various engineering problems that had to be solved. I am still trying to get the flaps to behave (maybe more bend?). I also installed the tow hook so maybe next time we'll try the winch or high start. Thanks also to everyone in this thread for their offering of the dozens of little tidbits of information about this build which were needed and appreciated.
You could not have had a better person to work with.

Any idea what the all up weight is? Interested to see how the weight finishes up compared to the target specs, when using the recommended gear.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:13 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
My Maiden

Got to the field, and realized I had left the ruler at home, so throws are not right yet. 4S is more than enough power. I never ran full throttle (recommended motor) and it climbed like a rocket.

I set the stab per manual, and found that it is not neutral, it is up. Took some clicks on the elevator stick to stop the porposing.

It seems to drop a wing in a stall, but the stalls are slow and easily recovered.

I still have a bit of left aileron - that is easy to fix as well.

Landing was interesting. Did not want to try flaps because my DX18 gives down elevator with flaps, and I don't know why. The airplane glides. It took me three circuits to get it low enough on approach to land.

Everybody is home save and sound and not broken.

I will set throws and program camber. Maybe I'll have nice weather again next weekend. Tonight was perfect. Slight breeze, no clouds.

This is going to take a while to master. Not because it is difficult, because it can do so much. I really feel that I got my money's worth. Thanks HH. Now, edit and fix that goofy manual.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,108 Posts
Tip stall - you are probably flying it too slow when that happens. Keep your airspeed up. This is not a radian.

Down elevator with flap actuation. What's the problem? You have some kind of mix on - which you will want as elevator compensation is necessary when feeding in flap to avoid ballooning the nose. Problem is you need to adjust this to suit the plane and this is done as an adjustment to the elevator. DX18 manual should address this somewhere.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Some really good looking builds guys. So, what is going to be the good servos for these planes? The price and specs of the a7020/a4020 don't look bad, I just don't know if I really trust them. Seems like hitec servos would be nice, something like a 5085 but they also weight alot more then the a7020's.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:42 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
620 Posts
300w/lb? Seems a little excessive to me. 150-200 is more than adequate.
If this model weighs 84oz, that is 4 3/4 lb X 300 = 1424W, Almost 2HP.

WOW, will the firewall stay with the model???

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
527 Posts
The Hitec equivalent would be the HS5125MG though they weigh a fair bit more than the A7020s. 0.8oz vs 0.5oz. Torque and speed specs are better on the A7020s as well.

HS5125MGs cost $49.99, the A7020 cost $36.99

The only thing going for the HS5125MG is that its been around a while vs the A7020 which is a newer servo.

I personally went with the recommended Spektrum servos. This is the 1st time I've purchased Spektrum servos, I've always used JR, Futaba and Hitecs (in that order if I can).

Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
So, has anyone hooked up the a7020's and done a centering test? My main request for this build is accurate centering for sure.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:23 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
Tip stall - you are probably flying it too slow when that happens. Keep your airspeed up. This is not a radian.

Down elevator with flap actuation. What's the problem? You have some kind of mix on - which you will want as elevator compensation is necessary when feeding in flap to avoid ballooning the nose. Problem is you need to adjust this to suit the plane and this is done as an adjustment to the elevator. DX18 manual should address this somewhere.
I usually stall every new airplane to see what happens. Yes, you do need to keep the speed up. So far, I have not been able to figure out how to adjust the flap > elevator mix.

Rick
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:25 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txg8gxp View Post
So, has anyone hooked up the a7020's and done a centering test? My main request for this build is accurate centering for sure.
Yes. No problems. I used the recommended components including servos and motor.

Rick
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:48 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
611 Posts
The flap to elevator mix lives in the mixing menu, labeled FLP > ELE. It defaults to zero values, so if you started with a blank model it sounds like you have a mix active somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
I usually stall every new airplane to see what happens. Yes, you do need to keep the speed up. So far, I have not been able to figure out how to adjust the flap > elevator mix.

Rick
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:37 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
293 Posts
Too much of a good thing...

As I'm still in the build phase, and have many power options to pull from... I am sure to settle for reason and stick with 4s power and stay below 80oz auw.

The firewall bond may not like 1500W.

As for sailplanes go, this is my first powered glider and so my enthusiasm may be a little over zealous. I just want the ability to go up on cell count if I need more rocket launch capabilities.
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,429 Posts
DSD -

The 5V cooling fan is cute. Can you provide more info - mfg / supplier?
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
As has been said, down elevator with flaps is almost mandatory.

As you feed in flaps your wing will generate more lift which will pick up the nose.
As the nose picks up the glider slows and you will eventually stall.
The down elevator keeps the glider flying level while the dropped flaps will reduce the stall speed allowing you to land more slowly and more precisely.

Your radio is very smart.

I would stay with the recommended spektrum servos.

Anything over 150 watts per pound is unnecessary for sport soaring or ALES contests. I would size for125 to 150 watts/pound.

300 watts/pound is probably more than enough for LMR contests.

For sport flying 300 watts/pound is just testesterone at play. True Tim, "the tool man" Taylor set-up.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:25 AM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
581 Posts
I have a 3m gliderman that weighs in at 7.5lbs. On 4s my 42-60 pulls max 650 watts. My sailplane goes straight up with authority. I can climb to a spec in about 20 seconds and that's 86watts/lb.

I just cannot imagine what 125-150 watts/lb would be like.
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:15 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Wait doesn't it call for 3s lipo what am I missing. Is it you guys just wanted more? I will start tonight with building thank you for sharing build challenges and work arounds.
Randy
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor