HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Jun 2010
18 Posts
I have mine finally built. Here are some things I found:

1. The wing servo rods did have to be bent slightly. They are pretty stiff, but did them by hand.

2. The linkage and the servo horn was a pain to get together. I installed the horn on the linkage, then brought the servo into position and used a screw driver to pop the servo horn on the servo and screwed it on.

3. To thread the servo wire inside the wing using the supplied thread, I tied the thread on the wire end, then tapered a peice of tape around the end so nothing would hang up inside the wing. Then you have to stand the wing upside down and shake the wing back and forth as you pull down towards the floor that worked the best. I also taped around where the extentions connect to again lessen the chance of them getting caught up.

4. If you loose the string in the wing, I pulled it all the way out, then got one of those little round fishing weights that crimp aroud the line and let gravity pull it back down the wing and fished it back out. I screwed up 3 times and had to do this and it worked pretty good with a little patience.

5. The plans call for (2) 3" servo extentions, (2) 24" extentions, and (4) 9" ones. I never used the 3" ones and the plans lack a little instruction where they get used as well.

6. The little black wire holds for the rudder and stab, both do not work at all. They both broke/tore since the wire it too thick, so dont even try. Little upset over that, since I cut the rudder and stab wires to length as both broke/tore trying to get them in position

The plane is together, but now I just need to get the throws going and the radio settings set up
NewRCer is offline Find More Posts by NewRCer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:24 PM
USA, GA, Jesup
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Servo Fastening

Thanks for all the tips on mounting the servos. I am amazed at the ingenuity of RC modelers and the different ways to do things.

I took an old servo and hot-glued it to a piece of wood to test the strength of the joint and I was surprised at how well the joint took stress. I was totally satisfied that it would hold up.

Then the latest post had me guessing again. (Essentially saying hot glue is junk) However, given that powered ARF's are glued mostly with hot glue and the servo isn't a heavy-stress area (Like a firewall), I decided it would do fine with hot glue. Also, there's no significant vibration. I'll just keep a check on the stability of the servos after each flight until I'm comfortable with the aircraft.

Bob
bobinjesup is offline Find More Posts by bobinjesup
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,549 Posts
Bob, there is not a single guy I know that uses hot glue in any application on any model no matter what. It is heavy compared to epoxy and the hold has no comparison. It is your ship, but I trust $2K airframes to epoxy and would never consider anything else black CA (rubberized).

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:06 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
547 Posts
I have found that Goop is a great adhesive for attaching servos. It is very tenacious and yet, if need be, can be peeled away from most surfaces with some effort. I have even used it to attach wingtip wheel fairings on my RS-15 full scale sailplane, and when I sold it several years later, the wheel fairings were still attached with no sign of separation or degradation. It is not silicone based, so it will not corrode any of the electronic connections in the servo. I would never use hot glue for any application on a model sailplane, except maybe in a sacrificial application. Apply with a very thin layer.
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
Has anyone flown one yet??????????????????
I finished trimming the servos yesterday. If it is not as windy as yesterday (15 - 20 mph), I can put her up this evening.

I've been exploring the sailplane setup on the DX18. I have a lot to learn .
Set up the switches, have yet to set camber.

On the DX18, you can control both the motor and flaps from the left stick.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:57 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
I use hot glue. Not on obvious items of great importance, but it has its place.

A dab weighs nothing, but it will hold wires and Velcro in place. It's great for stress relief on the main leads on all my lipo packs, where the wires come out of the heat shrink; works for balancing wire leads too.

It's easily trimmed with a #11 blade. It allows parts to be adjusted by heating it a little.

If you freeze the glue with a drop of liquid air (can of air for dusting off the keyboard) it will crack and break....... which is nice when you want to remove it off wire insulation.

Anyway, glad to see so many ideas.
DeadstickDuck is online now Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:13 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,923 Posts
I'm a big fan of hot glue in gliders - I can't think of one in my fleet that doesn't have a blob or two.. Apart from the above, it's easy to remove even at normal temperatures. It's great for tacking things down or holding them in position where strength isn't a big priority. It's a great insulator. It actually has surprising strength (although nothing like epoxies or CA of course)...

Don't limit the palette of materials available to you !

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:51 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,933 Posts
Thank y'all! For my 2 worth, I've used nothing but on every servo I've ever replaced, and never had one break loose....and the small pea-sized glob I prescribed weighs next to nothing. YMMV, & Lawd Bless Ya....but AFAIC, my method ain't broke.....and that's all I'll say on the subject.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Nov 2007
91 Posts
I lost my servo lead thread inside the wings when they accidentally pulled through. It was easy to reinsert them by using my shop vac on the opening at the wing root.
CarlMalone is offline Find More Posts by CarlMalone
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:43 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Just needs wing servos

Well, mine has the power system installed: @300w/lbs at 86oz auw
Motor* Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 at 10.2oz w/prop&spinner
Battery* 6s1p 2200mAh 60C Gens Ace lipo 13.75oz
Propeller* Graupner CAM 14.5x9.5
ESC* CC Phoenix 80A 2.75oz
B.E.C.* CC 10A 25v switching .4oz set @6.0v 7A(6s)

1710W @9500rpm 232oz thrust @85mph pitch speed.

Rx* Spektrum Ar7000 w/satilite
Servos* (6)Hitec HS-82 MG @47oz at 6v and 0.10s/60

DSD
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Oct 21, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
220 Posts
Receiver placement allows long 3s lipo room

Only one more hour for the hobby shop to open! I need 4 more wing servos, today
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:58 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Like this...
Thanks for pic. That is awesome!
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:34 PM
Music Man
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
She's not a virgin anymore!

I maidened my MYSTIQUE this morning at our Louisville Area Soaring Society (LASS) Sunday fly in but not without serious help from Gordy (Soar) Stahl. I had neglected to reverse the elevator, the ailerons, and the throttle. Had I tried to solo the pane alone, disaster would have taken place. It took ten throws to get the trim to give us a 400 foot glide from a small knoll. For a big plane with some heft to her, she floated beautifully. The launch with the power 25 (870kv) and stock prop was almost vertical. I need to add some elevator down with the throttle. With some more trimming at 100 yards altitude, the handling was similar to my Radian Pro but nicer. Turns with the ailerons with about 35% rudder added in gave the plane good axis control.
I agree with NewRC above about the various engineering problems that had to be solved. I am still trying to get the flaps to behave (maybe more bend?). I also installed the tow hook so maybe next time we'll try the winch or high start. Thanks also to everyone in this thread for their offering of the dozens of little tidbits of information about this build which were needed and appreciated.
Music Man is offline Find More Posts by Music Man
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:47 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Glad it went well and you had help. Yep control directions should be checked before every flight but especially the maiden. I typically have another pilot watch me deflect each surface before that first flight.

Sounds like it handles well - keep us updated!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck View Post
Well, mine has the power system installed: @300w/lbs at 86oz auw
Motor* Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 at 10.2oz w/prop&spinner
Battery* 6s1p 2200mAh 60C Gens Ace lipo 13.75oz
Propeller* Graupner CAM 14.5x9.5
ESC* CC Phoenix 80A 2.75oz
B.E.C.* CC 10A 25v switching .4oz set @6.0v 7A(6s)

1710W @9500rpm 232oz thrust @85mph pitch speed.

Rx* Spektrum Ar7000 w/satilite
Servos* (6)Hitec HS-82 MG @47oz at 6v and 0.10s/60

DSD
86 oz with 6S pack? About 6 oz over highest target weight. Likely due to the big motor and big battery. Will be interestnig to see how she handles at that weight. Some gliders handle higher wing loadings very well. Others like it lighter.

My 2.9M Airtronics Legend, pure glider, was 84 oz.

If it tends to be breezy where you are, that extra weight may work to your advantage. Looking forward to your flight reports on how well it thermals.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr