HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:26 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Mentor? That is scary.

Tim, I used hemostats and needle nose pliers. I don't know if there is an easy way. I spent a long time trying to get the pushrods connected without breaking anything, and I think I succeeded. If I were building that wing from scratch, I would have put the pushrods and servos in before sheeting the wing.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
275 Posts
Will (6) Hitec HS-82 servos work well?

I just got my Mystique from the LHS and looking for mid-line metal gear servos.

I have 4 HS-82 servos already in another fun fly plane that I can take out, as well as 2 HS-85s in the drawer......

Anyone know how good these MKS servos are from Esprit? Double the Hitec servos but, dual BB and metal case....

$43
http://www.espritmodel.com/mks-ds92m...tal-servo.aspx

$31
http://www.espritmodel.com/mks-ds450...tal-servo.aspx

-DsD
DeadstickDuck is online now Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
USA, GA, Jesup
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Servo Fastening

I've never assembled a sailplane more complex than a gentle lady, so I'm in front of my headlights here. I do have tons of builds with powered aircraft kits and foamies (Electro Jr. and Radian Pro).

The instructions call for the wing servos to be "glued to the cover using epoxy" It says they will pop loose if the flaps hit the ground and possibly prevent gear stripping.

OK, so is this a "little dab will do you" of epoxy, kinds like a spot in the middle of the servo case about the size of a pencil eraser, or is it more like smear epoxy all over the side of the case and wipe off the excess, or something in between?

Does anyone have suggestions on a more user friendly glue, such as Goop? How about double-sided servo tape? I'm worried that the servos may pop off at the worst possible time, and also that I may ruin some pricey servos by permanently encasing them in epoxy!

Thanks in advance for any help

Bob
bobinjesup is offline Find More Posts by bobinjesup
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
275 Posts
Servo glue....

My friend, use a hot glue gun. Make a small smile about the size of a dime and squeeze the servo to the cover tightly to get the hot glue to thin and spread out.

If you wish to remove the servo, just lightly warm up the cover with a covering iron and the hot glue will soften up, woot!

Should you need to adjust the servo a bit, just heat up the bond area and adjust the placement, then squeeze them together again a few seconds until the hot glue cools.
See, look at the

Or X marks the spot, whatever. Simple.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Oct 18, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added the part where you just heat the parts to adjust them.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,096 Posts
FWIW, I wrap the servo case with a piece of blue painter's tape, with the butt ends facing out when installed. Then a small pea-sized dob of hot glue in the center of the case, quickly pressed into the servo cavity & twisted around a bit to spread evenly, & hold in desired final position a few seconds 'til it sets. I also (while wrapping) fold over a couple mm of the overlapping tape end to help get a fingernail under it later.

When it comes time to change a servo, having the tape ends facing you makes it easy to peel the tape 'open' then just remove the servo, easily peel the remaining tape out of the cavity, clean up the dried hot glue & insert a new setup. Especially effective around foam, which doesn't get along well with heat guns.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
IMHO, do not use tape, I use heat shrink and then glue in servos in moldies and that would work here.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
IMHO, do not use tape, I use heat shrink and then glue in servos in moldies and that would work here.

Marc
How do you use hear shrink? Do you put it on from the bottom toward the top? Does that not leave the bottom plastic exposed?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:20 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
How do you use hear shrink? Do you put it on from the bottom toward the top? Does that not leave the bottom plastic exposed?
Like this...
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
579 Posts
For the glue gun, I use a 40 watt gun and not the small 10 watt guns.

For the best glue sticks use : Woodworking Hot Melt Adhesive. It really melts into the area you are working and the hold is super strong.

http://www.glu-stix.com/shop/page/pr...99a6d1902.html
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
616 Posts
Mystery of the Mystique

Has anyone flown one yet??????????????????
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Like this...
I was wondering the same thing.

Well Played!!
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
Has anyone flown one yet??????????????????
Post 414 right above. At least a few tosses.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Post 414 right above. At least a few tosses.

Mike
I mean a real flight, with launch, flight, decent control and landing accessment.

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
275 Posts
But this would mean a chance of breaking it and it's brand new
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Dead, J3 has a great pic of it, but he does it way better than I do. I shrink across the lugs, it is not real pretty, but like it much better than frames and when you do need to pull a servo, it is a snap. Just cut the shrink tubing, clean it up, down to the epoxy impression, and then shrink tube the new servo and repeat install.

And guys, do not use hot glue to install servos, that stuff is junk, even for plain hobby use. Use good epoxy, West or similar, and this makes a very nice impression of the servo and then when or if you have to replace, you have position and support for your new servo to be exactly where the old one was. Hot glue is one good bump away from being knocked loose and letting the servo be loose, or nearly loose, and then you can have bigger problems. See the pic below.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Last edited by R.M. Gellart; Oct 20, 2012 at 05:55 PM.