SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
Just showing an alternate launch method.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,940 Posts
Tuff crowd ....
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
questions for zb

Hi zb/Esprit,

I was interested in Albatros before this Mystique comes out. In previoue post, you told me that I could also get the section of the wing if I damaged the wing. I called your company last week, but the answer was NO! HH already had the section of the wing in stock before the Mystique in stock. That's called a support! Not a one time deal.
xiaoyu80305 is offline Find More Posts by xiaoyu80305
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:10 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
You must be really desperate to sell your stuff.
Hey, I for one, intend to be a customer . . . I think that is a pretty unique way to get a glider up.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:12 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
OK, now you have me excited too. Good luc!

Make sure you do some good hand throws first. Don't test it with power till you are happy with power off hand throws. If it won't glide nicely out of your hand with the power off you don't want to see what it will do with the power on.

Notice in the videos that they throw level or even slightly down. Never up. If you do accidentialy toss it upward, immediately give it a touch of down or it will stall.

When I put up a new glider, pure or E, I look for the tall grass to do some test throws. I may do 20 hand throws before it ever sees power, a hi-start or a winch. This was true of my Radian and my Supras. I adjust trims and sometimes CG as well. When it comes off my hand smooth and level, then I can really launch it, but not before.

This has saved more than one glider.
I understand, and I have mixed feelings. I've done it both ways, and at my field I feel more comfortable with some altitude before I test glide.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
You must be really desperate to sell your stuff.
Why all the hostility? Have you ever seen the video? We are talking about checking model before e-flight.
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu80305 View Post
Hi zb/Esprit,

I was interested in Albatros before this Mystique comes out. In previoue post, you told me that I could also get the section of the wing if I damaged the wing. I called your company last week, but the answer was NO! HH already had the section of the wing in stock before the Mystique in stock. That's called a support! Not a one time deal.
It’s easy to keep parts for 1 (ONE) sailplane, we have 106 models, many in 2-4 colors.

Also our production is small, hard to match parts of the wing. That’s the reason for “Matched Sets”. Replacement wings are around 70% of the price of the kit.

I guess you just did not understand. OK, here it is over again:

There never will be left or right, only matched set of wings. Please email us for price quote. Like I said not possible to keep and price 1000 different parts that we might never sell.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,880 Posts
I must say that Esprit has not tried to hijack anything In my opinion! He has contributed to this thread in several ways and he has applauded HH for bringing THEIR kind of planes to the market and creating new flyers in the process.

Please, let's all get along.....
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:05 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
It’s easy to keep parts for 1 (ONE) sailplane, we have 106 models, many in 2-4 colors.

Also our production is small, hard to match parts of the wing. That’s the reason for “Matched Sets”. Replacement wings are around 70% of the price of the kit.

I guess you just did not understand. OK, here it is over again:

There never will be left or right, only matched set of wings. Please email us for price quote. Like I said not possible to keep and price 1000 different parts that we might never sell.

Zb/Esprit Model
This is your word: " We supply spare parts all the time, if we have more than 1 or 2 models in stock we pull parts from stock models and add to our next order from manufacturer." , which means I may receive the parts immediately if you have model in stock. How long do I need to wait if you don't have model in stock and need to order?
xiaoyu80305 is offline Find More Posts by xiaoyu80305
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:34 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
For all of you who don't really understand how a sailplane goes together this video might be of interest. This is by my friend, Gordy. The glider has nothing to do with a Mystique. But he goes through how this plane was put together from pieces and parts. You might find it interesting.

Note how the full flying stab goes on.

Legionair Shuttle Reborn! (4 min 25 sec)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu80305 View Post
This is your word: " We supply spare parts all the time, if we have more than 1 or 2 models in stock we pull parts from stock models and add to our next order from manufacturer." , which means I may receive the parts immediately if you have model in stock. How long do I need to wait if you don't have model in stock and need to order?
If we do not have parts in stock and it’s International Customer, we try to dropship it directly from manufacturer. For domestic it takes maximum 2-3 weeks, we get shipments from Europe on weekly basis.

Please discuss this in our forums. Back to the Mystique.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Oct 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
The Mystique is going to fill a big void in the sailplane market. That would be entry level full house sailpalnes over 2 meters. There just aren't many out here under $500. To thier cusotmers the Mystique is a high end plane, but to the sailpalne market, this is entry level stuff. We will see how good it is as the reports come in.

When you are working with higher end planes, and the Mystique does not fit in that category, the market is much smaller than what Horizon typically addresses. For the most part the model aviation market is made up of cottage industry size companies. Then there are a few giants, like HH, Great Planes, GWS and Hobby-Lobby. The big guys deal in mass market stuff, for the most part, the kind that sells dozens or even hundreds a week or they don't carry it. So it makes sense to have 20 spare wings in stock. You will probably sell that many a month.

And they cater to the shifting market that tends to buy replacements rather than repair. I would have to do some pretty severe damage to a Pulsar or a Supra to need a replacement wing. Basically if the spar is intact, it will be repaired. And I would be typical of Esprit's customers. And if I had to wait 4-8 weeks for a set of wings, that is OK. Sometimes we wait 9 months for delivery of a high end glider. They are making maybe 1-2 a week in some cases, not the dozens or hundres that HH contracts for.

When you buy mass market stuff you get mass market service. When you buy more specialized stuff or higher end stuff you need to recognize what you are buying, who you are buying from.

The Supra ( kennedy composites) has probalby sold 2000+ units across the original and the Pro series over the last 7 years or so that Barry Kennedy has been selling them. That is a very popular high end competition sailplane. My Supra Pro, purchsed in December, is #964 of the Pro series.

HH will likely ship more than that in Mystiques just to stock their stores, dealers and warehouses.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
I'm sorry I was not paying attention and I missed it, when did this change to a vendors thread?
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mertz View Post
I'm sorry I was not paying attention and I missed it, when did this change to a vendors thread?
Yes, I guess the thread has gotten a bit off topic and I have probably been as bad as anyone else in taking it sideways.

Back to the Mystique.

Lets see more build reports and flight reports.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
620 Posts
MYstery Mystique

Has anyone assembled AND flown one of these, apart from manufactures/dealers?
I would like to hear from a pilot who knows e-soaring, as to how this model stacks up against other 2.9-3.3 size models.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain